Waving my Spyderhawk

The edge of the reground spine was very rough so i used a belt sander to round it. I ended up reshaping the “wave” because trying to cut that groove with a rat tail file was a pain. The shelf works just as well as a wave

This is most interesting. Because with H-1 being classified as a "Work Hardened" steel I've wondered if grinding on it would cause any problems? To me this just shows the possibilities of what else you could do with one of Spyderco's great Hawkbill blades.

Funny you say that because high speed grinding with my angle grinder went very fast and threw almost no sparks.

When i tried to cut the emerson wave they way we all know they are shaped, I used a thin rat tail file and it started to cut the steel fast, but QUICKLY became a pain in the ass. It was like suddenly it resisted the file. It was very noticeable and I immediately wondered if it was “work hardening”

Well that's interesting to know that H-1 can be worked with for modifications without worry of destroying temper and heat treatment. I'm wondering now if all nitrogen based steels are that way. Because I'm hearing more and more good things about LC200N that Spyderco uses a lot.

Well that's interesting to know that H-1 can be worked with for modifications without worry of destroying temper and heat treatment. I'm wondering now if all nitrogen based steels are that way. Because I'm hearing more and more good things about LC200N that Spyderco uses a lot.

I don’t think it applies to all nitrogen steels. H1 is a different bird because it is precipitation hardening. I believe the other steels still have a conventional heat treat.

I don’t think it applies to all nitrogen steels. H1 is a different bird because it is precipitation hardening. I believe the other steels still have a conventional heat treat.
OK I find this interesting>> you're saying that there are Nitrogen based steels that do undergo conventional heat treatments? And believe me I'm in no way trying to be a wise guy because seriously I just don't know which is why I'm asking.

Because a few years back when Spyderco themselves did a side by side test and determined H-1 to be their best performing blade steel for their Spyderedged blades. I must say I was truly very surprised when I found that out. Because I had never had very good results with H-1 particularly in plain edge. Actually I only own one plain edged, H-1 blade and I have it up for trade as we speak.. But I do like the Spyderedged H-1 models.

Also I find it kind of strange considering the commercial success that Spyderco has had with H-1 that they or some other knife company hasn't done more with Nitrogen based blade steels. Yeah Spyderco is putting out some stuff with LC200N which so far has had encouraging results but those are the only two I've heard much fanfare over up till now.

OK I find this interesting>> you're saying that there are Nitrogen based steels that do undergo conventional heat treatments?

Other nitrogen based steels do not precipitation harden like H1. H1 is more of a modified 18-8 Cr-Ni alloy (which is a precipitation hardening steel) than anything else.
Wky6HbH.png

Below is a link to the heat treating data sheet for lc200n. It is pretty similar to most other stainless.
https://www.zapp.com/fileadmin/down...nderlegierungen/englisch/LC200N_datasheet.pdf

Back