Way off topic

I was working late last night and a question came to mind.
It was after midnight and when I looked at the moon you could see the planet Venus right above it.
I was tired and not thinking clearly but the question came to mind "what sort of guidelines are used and who decides what a planet will be named?"

Example: "Uranus" What were those scientists thinking? Maybe it was meant as a joke but the media took them serious.

The name Uranus comes from the Greek great Titan/ god.

Many people think uranus us the father of zeus, but that was Cronos. Uranus is the representation of the sky and all the heavens. He had children with Gaia, the embodiment of earth.

There is also some debate over the pronunciation of Uranus, some people say it is Oo- ran- ous, especially since at the time uranus was named, the word Anus was in the English language

This is a knife forum - stick to steels .There is a Russian publication that goes through all the metals. I know a few. Niobium was originally Columbium as it was discovered in the USA and named after Chris Columbus ! The Europeans then discovered it and named it Niobium. From the woman's name Niobe [Greek mythology ] who was Tantalus's daughter ,as the two are found together ! Others are named after the person who discovered it , and others are place names like cities .
The 'W' for the element tungsten is the German word for it Wolfram , the English Tungsten is from the Swedish 'heavy stone' ...And so it goes !

Last edited:
All this astrology talk is Satan's playground. I don't care if Pluto is in Uranus .... or whatever new age crapamarole those west coast hippies are into.

This is a knife forum - stick to steels .There is a Russian publication that goes through all the metals. I know a few. Niobium was originally Columbium as it was discovered in the USA and named after Chris Columbus ! The Europeans then discovered it and named it Niobium. From the woman's name Niobe [Greek mythology ] who was Tantalus's daughter ,as the two are found together ! Others are named after the person who discovered it , and others are place names like cities .
The 'W' for the element tungsten is the German word for it Wolfram , the English Tungsten is from the Swedish 'heavy stone' ...And so it goes !

I knew the columbium thing! The only ore of tantalum comes from some of the most god forsaken areas on the planet "Congo, large reserves in North korea, parts of Sudan" and is called Coltan because it is Columbium bonded to tantalum. I didnt know that was the other name for niobium though.

Back