Off Topic Wayne Goddard, Legendary Knife Maker Passes On

I might be the only pastor who gets paid in knives, and likes it. I met Wayne and Phyllis Goddard in 1997 when she was diagnosed with soft tissue Melanoma in her ankle joint. I was serving at the church they attended and called and stopped by to pray with them. It was a delightful time, coffee, cookies and a tour of his knife shop. I had read some of Wayne's articles in Blade Magazine, so seeing his shop was a ton of fun for me. I bought a knife from them that day (Small Goddard Spyderco), and Phyllis survived that bout of cancer. A few years later they asked me to renew their wedding vows for their 50th anniversary and I was honored to be asked. They paid me with a knife that would be perfect for backpack hunting (Large Goddard Spyderco), but since Wayne signed both boxes, I just couldn't bring myself to use either of my Spyderco Goddards. I had the honor of doing Phyllis memorial service a few years back, and son Steve called me a month ago and said Wayne was close to "going home". I stopped by his memory care facility and visited and prayed with Steve and Wayne. Today I conducted Wayne's memorial service, and I was given another knife (Last Spyderco Production Goddard). Steve's wife said, "the box is not signed, you better use this one... Wayne would be disappointed in you if you don't!" I will use this one... with pride and honor.

Wayne was a legend in the knife making world, he even authored a couple books. In 2013 he was inducted into the Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame, only the 50th person to ever receive that award. But his award was far greater when he was inducted into his heavenly home... he had placed is faith in Jesus early in life, trusted in the Gospel and knew his Savior well. He will be missed by many, and I am proud to have been his friend and pastor.

I might be the only pastor who gets paid in knives, and likes it. I met Wayne and Phyllis Goddard in 1997 when she was diagnosed with soft tissue Melanoma in her ankle joint. I was serving at the church they attended and called and stopped by to pray with them. It was a delightful time, coffee, cookies and a tour of his knife shop. I had read some of Wayne's articles in Blade Magazine, so seeing his shop was a ton of fun for me. I bought a knife from them that day (Small Goddard Spyderco), and Phyllis survived that bout of cancer. A few years later they asked me to renew their wedding vows for their 50th anniversary and I was honored to be asked. They paid me with a knife that would be perfect for backpack hunting (Large Goddard Spyderco), but since Wayne signed both boxes, I just couldn't bring myself to use either of my Spyderco Goddards. I had the honor of doing Phyllis memorial service a few years back, and son Steve called me a month ago and said Wayne was close to "going home". I stopped by his memory care facility and visited and prayed with Steve and Wayne. Today I conducted Wayne's memorial service, and I was given another knife (Last Spyderco Production Goddard). Steve's wife said, "the box is not signed, you better use this one... Wayne would be disappointed in you if you don't!" I will use this one... with pride and honor.

Wayne was a legend in the knife making world, he even authored a couple books. In 2013 he was inducted into the Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame, only the 50th person to ever receive that award. But his award was far greater when he was inducted into his heavenly home... he had placed is faith in Jesus early in life, trusted in the Gospel and knew his Savior well. He will be missed by many, and I am proud to have been his friend and pastor.
Thank you for sharing this.
RIP Wayne Goddard, thank you for all you have done for the knife community.

I am saddened to just learn of this. My very first Spyderco was a Goddard with micarta scales and G-2 stainless.

I'm honored to have the knife in my collection.

Last edited:
Back