We are studying...

Better toughness. Less wear. than k390
High toughness also at high HRc. Excellent for big blades.

Last edited:
BÖHLER K490 MICROCLEAN cold work tool steel closes the gap in the material demands between wear resistance and the desired high toughness.
  • High hardness (up to 64 HRC)
  • Very good toughness
  • High abrasive and adhesive wear resistance
  • Excellent hard machinability
  • High compressive strength
  • Heat treatment together with common cold work tool steels (1.2379, D2) at hardening temperatures from 1030 to 1080 °C (1885 – 1980 °F) possible
  • Stable mechanical properties
huKvU85.png

Any news on a larger fixed blade in the range of a 9-inch blade?
I would prefer a 6...6.5 inch "full blade" (without any notch).
A 9 inch may be too heavy to carry.....and hopefully not made of the bloody Sleipner!
It's time for a top class stainless!!

Very nice lines and looks to be a fine design for heavy use.

I'd love to see lionSTEEL do a small bird and trout-like, EDC-oriented fixed blade. Like a slightly larger pairing type knife. Thin, comfortable, nimble.

Very nice lines and looks to be a fine design for heavy use.

I'd love to see lionSTEEL do a small bird and trout-like, EDC-oriented fixed blade. Like a slightly larger pairing type knife. Thin, comfortable, nimble.
I'm exactly looking for the same set: an heavy duty blade (not too big....6" is perfect to carry) sided to a small, refined, precise,....and damn sharp little knife for food processing and precise tasks .
If you are not looking for a folder I would recommend the Lionsteel M1, which I already own in the waiting of the bigger unit.
The M1 is a "total around" blade, in small package.....absolutely one of the best minimal knives ever used.

I wanted a Knife Research Enki with Vanadis 4E steel but missed it . Wouldn't mind something like this in V4E

Back