Weak detent on new Paramilitary 2

Hi guys. I'm returning a new Para 2 that has a pretty weak blade detent. Without touching the compression lock, I can easily shake the blade out of the handle with a short downward motion. I've been injured before by a folder with a weak detent so I'm not gonna risk it again. I know I could've had Spyderco look at it but I figured I would just return it and buy another one again in the future. How strong is the blade detent on your Para 2's?

I have two compression lock blades, Yojimbo 2 and Para 2.
I wouldn't say my Para 2 has a strong detent, but it's not weak by any means. I don't think I could get it to release without absolutely furiously shaking it to the point where I could hurt myself being a lunatic :D
My Yojimbo 2 has a noticeably stronger detent but it is still a breeze to open.

But I have no worries with either in regards to their detents

I've been injured by a folder opening in my pocket before too, so I look out for this. None of my Paras have a light closing detent - they provide enough resistance to keep the blade secure during stowing, but not so much to prevent easy opening.

Sounds like returning it is probably the right call.

TedP

It's unfortunate that you got a Para2 with a weak detent. I've got a pair of Para2s and they lock up quite nicely. It takes a bit of pulling to open them up. I agree with you and phillipsted, good return.
Hopefully this experience doesn't turn you off the Para2s though. Find one that's buttery smooth and a good lock up and you'll be good to go.

Bummer. My new PM 2 just arrived from Knifeworks today. Same issue. Noticeably weaker than my camo/satin version purchased last year.

With some slightly exaggerated effort I can shake the blade out to it's fully open/locked position.

I don't suppose this can be easily corrected by the user, can it?

It's unfortunate that you got a Para2 with a weak detent. I've got a pair of Para2s and they lock up quite nicely. It takes a bit of pulling to open them up. I agree with you and phillipsted, good return.
Hopefully this experience doesn't turn you off the Para2s though. Find one that's buttery smooth and a good lock up and you'll be good to go.

Oh, I actually can't wait to get my hands on a few good Para 2's soon. I really like the weight and feel of the knife, the lockup is perfect. Just want to make sure I have a knife that's nice and secure in the closed position.

Bummer. My new PM 2 just arrived from Knifeworks today. Same issue. Noticeably weaker than my camo/satin version purchased last year.

With some slightly exaggerated effort I can shake the blade out to it's fully open/locked position.

I don't suppose this can be easily corrected by the user, can it?

Thats unfortunate. Maybe we got Para 2s from the same batch.:(

My Para 2 has a very strong detent. I'd send it back if adjusting the pivot doesn't help

My Para 2 has a very strong detent. I'd send it back if adjusting the pivot doesn't help

I think I'm actually going to hang onto it. I carry tip up, and I don't think I'll ever have it accidentally stick me given the amt. of force required to pop it open by just sitting down.

Not as nice as my camo version and the action isn't as smooth, but I love all my kids!

i had a pm2 arrive last week and the detent seems fine.

With increased use, it seems like the problem is diminishing--it's becoming increasingly more difficult to shake the blade out the more I use it (flick the blade open).

Is that possible? If anyone here can explain how the detent works, I'd be interested in getting your input.

Thanks, all!

broonzbane

With increased use, it seems like the problem is diminishing--it's becoming increasingly more difficult to shake the blade out the more I use it (flick the blade open).

Is that possible? If anyone here can explain how the detent works, I'd be interested in getting your input.

Thanks, all!

broonzbane

Good to hear yours is getting better. :thumbup:

Could be any number of things causing it from dirt or even a burr in the detent/hole area, to dirt/grime on the area in the front of the tang where it contacts the stop-pin.

I had a SuperLeaf that didn't have very good closed-retention and I ended up taking it apart and polishing the area in the front of the tang where it contacted the Stop Pin and it ended up with great retention when closed (like a steel trap - and the SuperLeaf has a lot of mass in the blade so having to shake that beast fairly hard to get the blade loose is saying something).

Send it back if you don't want to void your warranty and/or you don't like to tinker.

I received a brown PM 2 today and the blade will not shake loose at all.

Could be any number of things causing it from dirt or even a burr in the detent/hole area, to dirt/grime on the area in the front of the tang where it contacts the stop-pin.

I had a SuperLeaf that didn't have very good closed-retention and I ended up taking it apart and polishing the area in the front of the tang where it contacted the Stop Pin and it ended up with great retention when closed (like a steel trap - and the SuperLeaf has a lot of mass in the blade so having to shake that beast fairly hard to get the blade loose is saying something).

Send it back if you don't want to void your warranty and/or you don't like to tinker.

Thank you for the advice. I am going to follow it and send the knife to Golden today. Compared to my camo/satin pm2, the blade detent of my new knife is just plain bad. I cannot shake the blade out of my camo PM2 no matter how hard I try, but the action is buttery smooth.

Not true of my new black/satin knife. Blade shakes out with minimal effort. Interestingly enough, however, the opening action is stiff. What gives with that?!?

I'd advise anyone else with a recently purchased PM2 to check the detent. You shouldn't be able to casually shake the blade out from the closed position. Injuries can result.

I'm actually looking forward to the warranty repair process. By all accounts, Spyderco gets customer service right. I always like being treated well!!! I'm sure the Glessers won't disappoint!

broonzbane

Back