Wednesday Evening with Amar Singh Thapa Khukuri

Yes, Bill, thanks for stepping up. If I may say so, you'll soon be in a perfect position to "report" on how it handles, both weight-wise, and with respect to the lanyard hole......

For this kind of hard working Khukuri, what kind of handle material, buffalo horn or hardwood, will be more suitable for a 18~20" one?

It probably isn't a stock item as it's new. You will probably have to e-mail Yangdu and see if she's hiding one in a back closet somewhere.

Does owner of HI Khukuri need to be careful about rusting? Will you leave your Khukuri in its sheath when you are not going to use it in the next two or three weeks?

I think most HI owners store them in the sheaths since they are wood. A light coat of oil never hurts.

I think most HI owners store them in the sheaths since they are wood. A light coat of oil never hurts.

Thanks!

Sounds like HI Khukuris are not particularly rust prone.

well they are carbon steel. they will rust or patina easily. the mirror polish does make them less rust prone.

You'll notice some of Yandu's DOTD (deal of the day) specials include blades with a little bit of rust. You can remove it with sandpaper or metal polish. Whether rust is a problem depends a lot on your climate too.

Thanks again.

I can live with rust as long as those knives are sharp and strong. I have several high carbon steel knives demand to be checked out regualrly.

I usually just put some WD40 or some CLP on mine.

But if you use 'em they will get scuffed up and a bit discolored anyway so it's nothing to stress about if you buy a khukuri for use.

A quick wipe down with a green scotch pad and hot water, they usually come clean, then dried and a quick wipe down with a rag soaked in gun oil works for mine. Then back in the sheath. All but one of mine were rust free after 10 months in their sheaths while I was in Iraq. The little rust on the one came off with a rag and a dab of MAAS polishing compound.

Bill

Back