Wee Nessie

Got my first Fiddleback in the form of this Small Nessie, nicely clad in Bocote on Maple.

She's a wee beauty!

FiddlebackSmallNessie6.jpg

FiddlebackSmallNessie7.jpg

I've never been a fan of the Nessmuk design...it just doesn't do it for me...nor have I ever held and used one that's not a cumbersome, 5mm thick, bloody scandi ground beast.

When I saw this design, all that changed. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not a fan of the 'usual' Nessie design, but with his Small Nessie, Andy has managed to make all the right kinda changes, in my mind, that makes this into an attractive, desirable knife that's a sheer delight to use.

Nice work Mr R :thumbup:

I can see your point on not being a nessmuk design fan. But I think Andy might be the man to change my opinion. I guess I'll just have to buy one and see how it handles. :D

I've got one of Andy's small nessies in Osage over black walnut. I agree with your assessment of the design. It performs as good as it looks.

Thank you, and the pics are excellent too!! I'm a fan of the Nessmuk. Kinda obsessed with it for a while. It gets a bit of a bad rap through bad designs (5mm thick Scandi, come on), and through folks thinking the prevelant web-hype means its the ONE knife. Truthfully, the absolute best thing about Nessmuks IMO is their ANTI-Tactical nature. They are the ultimate ANTI-Tac knife.

Thank you, and the pics are excellent too!! I'm a fan of the Nessmuk. Kinda obsessed with it for a while. It gets a bit of a bad rap through bad designs (5mm thick Scandi, come on), and through folks thinking the prevelant web-hype means its the ONE knife. Truthfully, the absolute best thing about Nessmuks IMO is their ANTI-Tactical nature. They are the ultimate ANTI-Tac knife.

I can't think of one single reason I want one of those things...

other than the fact that they are awesome in every detail.

Damn this horrid economy!

Seriously, in the UK there seems to be this mis-placed belief that if its not 4-5mm thick and scandi ground its not worth having....

....and what's more they all seem to think that scandi ground is zero ground....which it isn't....well at least not in Scandinavia!! They all get their water stones out and zero grind their blades cos some bloke off the telly says thats what's best...then wonder why its rolling and chipping :jerkit:

Some of the Nessie designs I see over here are like sharpened whales, d'ya know what I mean? They just look overly crooked and just plain odd.

This is a great knife. My pa can't understand the shape of it though...he keeps saying "Why's it look like that?" and "What's it for?"...bless.

Oh and here's another pic...why not ay?

FiddlebackSmallNessie2.jpg

ps. Andy if you need the pics let me know.

Last edited:
Reading your post just made me realize I had the same misconception regarding the shape. Luckily I'm over it! :thumbup: The more I think the more uses I can find for this knife.

I've always liked the Nessie design, but wanted a smaller version. This one looks like it might be the one.

Yes, Europe is fascinated with thick steel Scandi grinds (for $300 minimum too). You would naturally believe America the fat blade capitol, but all my orders from overseas are for thick stuff. Funny, Sears laughed at folks with thick bladed knives. His writing is hilarious.

Tell him the shape is so that the wide part of the blade could be used to spoon up potatoes, and also so that the spine can ride inside the gut with the edge up while skinning. There was a reason to the madness.

He he, I forgot abot the potatoes thing!! I'll be having a Jacket spud for tea...lol!

I always liked his story of the young campers...when he throws all the mucky pots in there tents for the ants to follow! (iirc). He had a good way of 'teaching'.

Am just getting in to Wildwoods Wisdom by Elsworth Jaeger...already very enjoyable.

The thin blade thing I think is more understood by people who actually use knives, rather than just wear them for show. Of course there's right tools and all that, but I've been out with a friend and all he took was his Green River Dadley. It 'sung' its way through firewood and shelter material and was still singing through the food prep. A well designed and made knife does its job.....your Small Nessie is certainly no exception.

As for the American, big knife thing....well its us Brits who've got the habbit of over engineering things!! :rolleyes:

what sheath do you have with your nessie? Just picked up one from KSF and now I need some leather to go with it.

Back