Weeding with Machete

I would like to cut down 3-4ft tall weeds and flowers to less than 6 inches quickly. I don't have experience with weed wackers, but I decided that it might be a bit much for one to handle (I'm not sure if there's any truth to that). Anyway, I picked up a 18in Gerber for $13. It did well straight out of the packaging. How would it compare to say a Condor Parang or Golok, would cutting weeds feel like butter in comparison to the Gerber?

Mine is OLD ,older than I am ! I know they still make them in Europe . Search the internet for info on what to look for how to use how to sharpen. Pick the blade to match what you're cutting [ short heavy for heavy brush or long light for grasses] .Adjust for you .let the tool do the work ! for sharpening a stone and hammer and little anvil.

I picked up a scythe for $5 at a yard sale. Incredible tool; in the hands of an experienced person, it is far faster than an industrial sized weedeater.

18" Condor El Salvador model is what I recommend. Very useful and very comfortable to use. If you are experienced using machetes, then you might consider something in the 20-24" length with a thin blade. The Condor Parang would work but might be a bit heavy. The regular Golok would be a huge pain in the butt to use for a long period of time. My least used machete is the Condor Viking. The El Salvador and a discontinued 14" Puerto Rican model (similar to the 16" Swamp Master) get the most use for me.

I loved the Condor Golok when it first came out. Have two of them. But I seldom use them anymore. I use a Pack Golok for chopping a good bit when I need a chopper rather than a wacker.

Last edited:
After owning quite a few of the Condor machete models, if I chose just one, it would be the wood handled 18" El Salvador model. The sheath justifies the higher price tag over some of the other Imacasa ones for me. I have this one, and one with the injection molded poly handle that I picked up on close out two years ago at Blade. It has seen very limited use as I just like the feel of the wood handled one better.

I have to second the idea of a scythe if you have more than a little trimming to do. Now that I have one, I end up using it to knock back the tall grass on the corner of my lot rather than firing up the lawn mower.

Search the internet for info on what to look for how to use how to sharpen. ...for sharpening, a stone and hammer and little anvil.

To clarify, traditional European scythes are not hardened, so they use a hammer and anvil to work harden the very edge by peening. Antique American scythes have a strip of high carbon steel forge welded to the edge, and could be tempered very hard. My grass scythe is at least 60 Rockwell, if not more. Hammering on it would likely shatter it, so I stick with stones.

My Toro scythe crapped out so now I have a Stihl cordless, and scythe , kukris, and some others , all cordless !:D

If you have any large amount to cut for that size I would use a scythe ! With mine I can cut a swath 2'x6' with each swing !
+1. Google it. Hopped up weed wacker pros with modified carbs and upgrades often lose (cut less square footage in same time) to the barefoot dudes they're racing uaing the farm hand tool.

The condor golok is a good chopper but it is not good on grass and light vegetation. It is to forward heavy and thick. 18-24" machetes work best.

The condor golok is a good chopper but it is not good on grass and light vegetation. It is to forward heavy and thick. 18-24" machetes work best.
A machete for weeds and soft vegetation should be lightweight. You do not want to swing a heavy one for long periods of time.

I am very happy with the products and customer service from these folks:
https://scythesupply.com/

Have used a straight snath from them for about 20 yrs, just added a curved snath last year.
Highly recommend them.

And I agree; a scythe is the tool I use regularly for the application you are asking about.
Scythes are not just for cutting wheat or grass; there are actually a number of different blades, for different applications.

Enjoy,
Brome

I use a short hand held rake to pull the long grass out from the fence around my yard. and a whack close to the roots (and into the soil) with my gerber (gator? it's a short one 12"?) machete. it's terrible on the blade. what with all the stones and occasional fence wire and all. I wouldn't recommend it for a blade you'd pay more than $20 for. the gerber does the job, but it takes forever to grind out the chips and rolls after.

I tried the weed whacker route. I got a crappy hand-me-down electric job. didn't have enough extension cord, and there was a bad connection so you had to wiggle the handle a bunch. the next one will be gas for sure.

Back