Weird but interesting happenings!

Last night I was happily surfing the web and then suddenly - - - WHAP!!! My PC Monitor died and all of the green lights went amber, even the Ethernet Light on the modem, and in spite of everything I tried it refused too come back on for any length of time!!! When I tried coming back online I’d get a small box saying that it wasn’t receiving any signal from the PC. So finally I gave up on it and decided to wait until tomorrow which has finally arrived and then some. ;) :D
My Dear Barbie carried our old CRT monitor in to see if the monitor was the problem, it wasn’t.
After going back to the original configuration and experimenting with the whole system everything finally settled down and started working as it was supposed too once again so don’t know what happened or what was done to fix it.
I would normally blame it on the Winter Equinox although it’s way too far past it to rationalize it now.
So I guess now I’ll just blame Tsisdu, or the rabbit, our little Tsalagi trickster. :)

Anyone have any other ideas?

I used to help people troubleshoot problems like this, but there isn't quite enough information here to make an arrest, much less get a conviction.

I trust the message that told you the monitor wasn't getting a signal from the PC. That's a common reason for a green light on a monitor to turn amber. But that wouldn't explain an amber ethernet light on the modem. You don't say anything about lights on the system unit, but I surmise that that also turned amber, or completely dark.

If the root cause was a bad modem, or a bad signal entering the modem, the PC and monitor lights wouldn't turn amber. A PC runs just fine with no internet connection.

If the root cause were something wrong inside the PC system unit, it probably wouldn't cause the modem light to turn amber (though I'm not 100 percent sure that that couldn't happen).

Most likely the root cause is something that affected both the modem and the PC system unit, but only temporarily, since you say that the whole system came back later on.

My best guess is that you had a temporary case of dirty power. Something in the electrical system, either a weak surge, a weak drop, or fluctuation beyond the normal tolerances of the devices. The culprit might be in your house wiring, other devices in use at the same time, or in the power supply to your neighborhood. Maybe a flaky circuit breaker. You don't mention house lights flickering, but electronic devices are probably more sensitive than light bulbs.

My usual attitude toward something like this is to make sure my important data is backed up, but not worry too much if it is a one-time event. I'd ask neighbors if they noticed anything around the same time. If it happens again, take it more seriously and consult a professional.

Good luck, and thanks for reminding me of the good old days when I got paid for puzzle-solving like this.

-- Dave

Thanks David! You reminded me that my PC light(s) went completely dark like my PC wouldn't turn on no matter what I did or how many buttons I pushed! Same as my Internet Modem!
And neither one of us can recall any lights flickering last night although they have flickered before at different intervals!

Related??

"...On Monday, the sun released a coronal mass ejection (CME), which is a "massive eruption of solar plasma," according to Space.com. The blast is expected to affect the Earth through Saturday.

"Coronal Mass Ejections from the last few days may cause isolated periods of G1 (Minor) Geomagnetic Storm Activity on December 28-29," the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Space Weather Prediction Center wrote in an update. "R1 (Minor) radio blackouts are expected until 31 December."

"If the storms are powerful enough, they could temporarily interrupt radio frequencies, GPS signals and cell phone communication, and possibly affect power grids, according to Space.com.

"NOAA estimated that there was a 20-40 percent chance of these disruptive polar geomagnetic storms on Dec. 28-29 in response to the impact of one or more CMEs..."

from Sun Storms May Affect Radios, Cell Phones
by Christina Ng, abc News
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sun-storms-affect-radios-cell-phones/story?id=15249373

I'm still not sure of what's goin on but this same problem keeps on reoccurring no matter what I/we do or have done!!! :mad: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:
It's always been my understanding that a PC could be used no matter whether it was signed online or not, but unless the ETHERNET Light on my SpeedStream 5100 Modem is on AND STAYS ON my PC's best use may either be as a target for Khukuri Practice, a target for long range heavy rifle practice, or other possible five/eight year old imagination stuff made useful.... :thumbup: :cool: :D :eek: ;)

The ethernet light is likely just a symptom of what's going on. Sounds like a mother board failure and that makes the modem think nothing is connected to it.

Back