Weird Etcher Issue

Hey all,

My DIY etcher has an issue. It will blacken on DC and etch on AC. In order to ensure I have the DPDT switch correct, I hooked up DC 12V fan. When the switch is on DC mode (top position of the DPDT) the fan will work and AC (bottom position on the DPDT) mode it doesn't work.

I've traced my wiring on the bridge rectifier, and the + & - are hooked up to top of the DPDT switch. Middle part of the switch goes to the leads. Finally the lower part of the switch to AC to the ~ (AC) bridge rectifier and the transformer.

When I etch, it isn't very deep. Not like I see in other makers photos. I do have the red lead to the work piece.

I've retraced the wiring from Redbeard's wiring diagram. I am just not sure what I got hosed up.

I know next to nothing but I did build the diy etcher based off of the RedbeardOps youtube video. The power transformer he originally listed is no longer available so you had to sub in something else, could be an issue. Do you have a multimeter to check your output in each setting? Etching fluid can also affect how well the etcher works.

He is a forum member here by a different name that I can’t recall at the moment.

Last edited:
Make sure the AC is on the AC side of the DPDT switch and the DC is on the other side. The leads go in the center prongs.
Make sure the + and - are correct, too. A proper digital multimeter is the best way to check.

Yep, a DVM is needed to check, the wire color doesn't mean anything until it's determined the red lead is actually connected to the DC positive point.

is the positive connected to the blade and the negative on the hand piece? im not sure if it will work the same in reverse.

Back