weird notch in machetes?

I picked up a little 12" chinese machete for $6 (all it says on the blade is "quarry stone knife" and 440 stainless along with a weird cow's head.), It is actually really nice and in abount 1/8 thick so it chops pretty good. After a few mods like rounding out the choil and re-wrapping the handle in real paracord, it is my favorite machete I own. It has the useless sawteeth on the back as well a little notch in front of the teeth. What is it used for? Is it actually usefull or should I sharpen it into some sort of line cutter? If it is what I think it is, Im going s*** myself laughing.

dunno about the notches but i would be concerned using a machete made of 440 stainless breaking and having a big chunk of steel flying back at you, especially one made in china. just my 2 cents...

What do you think it is? Pics?

59214223_full.jpg

This one? I'm guessing the notch is purely for "decoration".

59214223_full.jpg

This one? I'm guessing the notch is purely for "decoration".

Yep thats the notch but my machete is waay different, more "tactical". I thought it was a bottle opener.:eek::D
Im not particularily concerned about the steel, never was a steel junkie. I just love this way better than any ontario, tramontina or cold steel.

the notch looks like its a stylised version of the magical wire cutter on the rambo knives from years ago ... the thing that allows one to cut heavy gauge fencing wire with a flick of the wrist ....

I saw once a knife that had a hole in the blade and notch like this machete has , a pin on the scabbard went thru the hole , to make a wire cutter out of the knife and scabbard combined .. the notch was the locator for the wire and cutting jaw of the cutters when combined with the sheath / scabbard

I think the drilling and notch is copied onto the machete just cos it looks cool

just my thorts

Im not particularily concerned about the steel, never was a steel junkie.

It's not a matter of being a steel junkie/snob/etc. it's just that stainless tends to be to 'brittle', for lack of a better word, to be used to make machetes, and axes. Usually even cheap Chinese machetes and axes are made of carbon steel. Stainless steel is really only good for small knives for people who are to lazy to take care of them, or want to maintain that "brand new" look.

It has nothing to do with edge retention, ease of sharpening, etc. it has to do with the blade outright breaking, and possibly causing a dangerous situation.

It's not a matter of being a steel junkie/snob/etc. it's just that stainless tends to be to 'brittle', for lack of a better word, to be used to make machetes, and axes. Usually even cheap Chinese machetes and axes are made of carbon steel. Stainless steel is really only good for small knives for people who are to lazy to take care of them, or want to maintain that "brand new" look.

It has nothing to do with edge retention, ease of sharpening, etc. it has to do with the blade outright breaking, and possibly causing a dangerous situation.

exactly my point above...i'm sure most of us have seen this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPDL4eiKhVc :)

stainless hasnt got much, if any, flex to it and striking a branch or such will eventually lead to a situation that can be easily avoided.

That's a pretty big generalization about the toughness of stainless. The fact that they are really cheaply made is probably the biggest indicator of poor toughness. Inappropriate hardness, or temper, or even steel is usually to blame.

And it isn't limited to stainless steels, either. There are several reports of large carbon steel choppers which fail suggesting inappropriate hardness or temper.

there is an exception to what i said, but i said it in direct reference to this thread...if he uses it, then i personally hope he has health insurance! i wasnt meaning to start another stainless debate, its been beaten to death time and time again (you should me a cheaper stainless machete that will hold up to the task its meant to do consistently then i will change my mind, until then i stand by taking caution).

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=17124&highlight=stainless+steel

this write up on SFI has the exceptions, for example barry dawson...but heat treatments like that are not cheap which is why you shouldnt use a cheap stainless machete. As much as i dislike adrian ko whom wrote that, he makes a great point about a superior steel with crap heat treat = a crap sword or in this case a machete.

:)

I KNOW that there is a bunch of reasons against using a stainless machete

but I got an admission to make

I have one that I play with now and then ...

its heavier and thicker than any of the others I own , and its got a interesting look to it

I got it as a freebie with other gear I bought , made by a handful of piece workers in Pakistan and actually well done too , for what it is .

it fits my hand well and doesnt make blisters or sore spots and does it cut !! its serious fun to use .

I kinda hate the serrations on the spine tho ...

Even tho I like it and its serious fun to mess with , when I go camping , if it comes at all , it comes in the role of toy only , not as a regular hiking / fishing / hunting companion .

admissionofguilt.jpg

I think you've got the right idea Myal, you understand it's limitation and use it as such. I tip my hat to you sir, and it's pretty cool looking.

But to trust a cheap, unproven tool with something important and possibly dangerous is something else.

Like Mora's and Tramontina's are inexpensive but proven to be able to take a beating and reliable...

I was using a made in China fillet knife once, it was right out of the box new. I filleted one side of the fish, and had started down the second side when all of a sudden WHACK! it snapped in the middle of the blade. If not for the fillet the tip part would've flown up into my face. I chucked it into the trash in disgust, and refuse to buy anything Made in China. Rant off....

I'm sorry for the goof up, I bought a machete and set of throwing knives on the same day (I refuse to buy expensive throwing knives, they are so easy to lose, I paid $7 for the set of 3) the throwing knives say 440 stainless on them the machete is unmarked exept for "quarry stone knife" so it is not 440. Like I said, there are definately better machetes out there but I like this one better than any I'v ever used. Do you guys think I should sharpen the notch into a line cutter if it doesnt serve any purpose?

3wolves

I can understand what you mean about liking the machete better than others , Im a bit on the same boat .

Id suggest not sharpening the notch tho , but only because to my thinking it would likely be making a stress point where a crack or break could start , being toward the tip ( Im assuming ) its where the blade will be getting impacted and stressed a lot and problems could occur .

just my thoughts tho , Im not a expert

My guess is that there is no purpose to that 'notch' at all. That certainly isn't any pattern knife ever used in China or Asia that I've ever seen. It's just real low-end export steel (sorry).

I think that the template for the sawteeth was borrowed from some existing "China special" bowie that also incorporated a guthook, and it was used carelessly for your machete without concern or thought.

Back