Welcome and introduction

Jason Fry

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Howdy folks. Welcome to the Fry Custom Knives dedicated subforum.

I've been making knives 14 years and have done a few things. I have been in the Knifemakers' Guild since 2013, and have been on the board of directors a little over a year. I have three books in print about knives. "Next Level Knifemaking" is a collection of deep thoughts from industry experts about what it takes to get from where you are to the "next level" from a variety of perspectives. Next is "Knifemaking Hacks" which includes 300+ short tips and tricks and 100+ pretty pictures. It's the perfect book for knifemakers who don't like to read. My most recent book debuted at Blade 2022, Blade's Guide to Knife Buying. It has all the answers to all the knife questions. All three are on Amazon, and Hacks and the Buying Guide are available autographed from my website.

Here's my web store.

I also freelance for Blade Magazine and Knives Illustrated, and write an every-other-month news column for the Knifemakers' Guild in Knife Magazine. I'm glad to share what I know about writing with anyone who wants to ask.

My knifemaking journey started with skinning too many raccoons. I used to hardcore fish, hunt, and fur trap. Now that I live on the plains of Texas far from anything interesting, I've put a temporary hold on fishing and trapping. I do still deer hunt with archery and rifle. I started with stock removal for quite a while in both carbon and stainless. I started forging eventually, and competed on Forged in Fire in 2018. I was runner up on Season 5 Episode 26, the Qinglong Ji. I built a power hammer in my back yard, which opened up forging as more of a fun thing to do. I do my own damascus as well.

Welcome to the Hosted subs Jason, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Right on, good to have you! It's always nice getting more knowledge and different perspectives around the forum

Thanks you two. Working on moving some content over here from other places to get us started.

Back