Welcome to our newest forum!

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
We've been wanting this forum for quite awhile, and are proud to finally be able to bring it to you!

Here's some information on the newest additions to the BladeForums.com Moderator team, be sure to make them feel at home!

Ron Hood
Ron Hood received his early wilderness training as a member of the U.S. Army Security Agency Special Warfare Unit (TAREX SOG). After almost a year of special warfare training, he served a year in the Middle East working with the Askari and then Kurdish tribesmen. Still trying to kill him off,
the Army sentenced him to almost two years of humping the jungles in Vietnam.

Since the military, in addition to teaching at two major Universities, Ron spent much of his time living, learning and studying wilderness and survival skills with native populations around the world. During the last
year he spent two months with the isolated Shapra-Candoshi Indians of Peru to video tape their lifestyle and survival skills.

Ron and his wife Karen own Hoods Woods Wilderness Video Productions and produce the highly acclaimed "Woodsmaster" survival instructional series as well as Karen's amazing "Cave Cooking" videos. With thousands of customer's worldwide the Hoods are finding it more and more difficult to conduct the
field training programs that started Ron's career in the woods. That is where Greg Davenport comes in.

"At Hoods Woods we train "video students" with our series. Through experience we've been able to prove that video training is the quickest, least expensive, entertaining, effective and intensive way to train. Video
is much like personal training. You get to see the technique as you hear the instructions. Minutiae of technique is visible and assists in the overall effectiveness and thoroughness of the method. After hearing and viewing the skills the student is advised to take the skills to the woods for practice. To participate in our wilderness programs students must have
studied the videos. In this way we know that they have had good exposure to what they will practice when we hit the dirt.

It is our goal that in time our video library will cover all elements of survival and wilderness training and provide the most comprehensive skills resource available."

The Hoods Woods web site is at http://www.survival.com

Greg Davenport
Greg's USAF training consisted of 6 months of learning to survive in every environment in the world and another six months learning to teach these skills before he carried his first crew as an instructor. Greg has taught
wilderness programs for over 16 years.

During his intense training to become a U.S. Air Force Survival Instructor, Davenport learned to adapt to adverse conditions in every global climate. After nine years of intense military service, Greg left to attend the University of Washington's Physician Assistant Program. Shortly after
graduating in 1993, he and his wife Kim created ANEW--an adventure-based program that focuses on wilderness education and self-improvement. His experience and education along with those of his wife are the foundation for ANEWs Wilderness Education Program. Greg's vast knowledge of survival,
leadership, and wilderness medicine became the catalyst that led him to write the most complete, comprehensive, and user friendly text on wilderness survival, Wilderness Survival (Stackpole Books, 1998).

Davenport has trained civilian and military personnel from around the world in global survival techniques. His skills have been noticed by several television and magazine sources. These include: 48 Hours, NBC Nightly News, BBC, Men's Journal, Backpacker Magazine, and Wilderness Way.

ANEW's Wilderness Survival Programs
ANEW's survival programs are based on Greg Davenport's unique approach to wilderness training and over 16 years of work as an outdoor educator. Greg's experience as a USAF Survival Instructor and his "five survival essentials" approach are the core of our training. ANEW believes thatthe five essentials are the crux to wilderness survival and regardless of the environment you are in...these needs must be met. By learning how to identify these needs along with various methods in which to meet them...survival in any environment is possible. The "Five Survival Essentials" are:

1. Personal Protection (Clothing, Shelter, Fire)
2. Signaling (Manmade and Natural)
3. Sustenance (Water and Food)
4. Travel (With and without a Map & Compass)
5. Health (Mental, Environmental, Traumatic)

In each class, students will learn how to prioritize the five essentials along with various skills necessary to meet them. Some of these skills may include: clothing maintenance, natural/manmade shelter construction, friction based fire, signaling techniques, water collection and treatment, fishing skills, trapping, identifying edible plants and insects, primitive navigation, map and compass skills, hiking and wilderness travel techniques, improvising, basic first aid and safety, psychological stress abatement, and how to use primitive weapons.
The ANEW/Simply Survival web site is at http://www.ssurvival.com

Brian Jones
An avid outdoors and wilderness skills enthusiast (and adventure junkie) since his childhood, Brian has spent many years in the backcountry, doing silly things like accidentally sliding down Glaciers, and emergency bivvying cliffside above the treeline on the Continental Divide during 60-70 mph wind gusts with only a dome tent, next to a Grizzly Bear cave (he didn't sleep well that night). He also has done more relaxing trips back East near his home state of Connecticut. He considers himself lucky to be alive in spite of himself, and since he's warped enough to go back out into the wilderness at every chance, Brian feels he'd be wise to learn how NOT to get into those situations again from Ron and Greg, who are the best at what they do.

He considers himself a fledgling at survival skills, will ask many questions, and offer advice when he can, from his own mistakes in the backcountry. His role as moderator will be to take much of the workload off of Ron and Greg, who have graciously dedicated time out of their busy schedules so we can all learn how to better handle wilderness emergencies and live off the land. He considers the opportunity to work with Ron and Greg an honor and a privilege.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

This is gonna be COOL.

I'll do up a post soon on the use of the Polynesian-style throw-net, how to make 'em, throw 'em and "tactical notes". Nothing else I know of can gather as much protein as fast and reliably for the weight carried.

Jim

This should be a very interesting forum. I look forward to reading the information conveyed by Ron Hood, Greg Davenport, and Brian Jones.

I have seen most of Ron's tapes, and enjoyed his websight, along with his posts at BladeForums. Thanks to all three for their time.

I am happy to see this forum up and running. I have every one of Ron and Karens tapes and I highly highly reccomend them. Rons knowlege about survival blades and how to effectively use them is tops. Check them videos out and you will see what I mean.

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

This is going to be a great forum-thanks for setting it up. It will fill a void that is sure to generate a lot of usefull information.

------------------

Brian,
Glad to see you added to the Bladeforums moderator clan and knowing this forum was your brain child I'm glad to see it born and I will look forward to popping in here and getting some great information.

I'm all smiles.
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Wow! This is a great addition. Welcome to Ron and Greg. Brian we know. Glad you're taking on more reponsibilities.

sing

AKTI #A000356

Welcome, a great addition to the BladeForums family. Looking forward to the information that will be shared here.

------------------
P.J.
P.J. Turner Knife Mfg, Inc.
Uluchet, What's an Uluchet? Find out at...
www.silverstar.com/turnermfg

Good to know you guys are still alive and kickin'. Look forward to seeing the posts on this list.

Ray Lewis
Raleigh, NC

GREAT!
smile.gif
This looks like an awesome forum, with OUTSTANDING MODERATORS! Talk about a KNOWLEDGE BASE! Thanks for providing us with the forum and THANK YOU moderators for taking the time to deal with those of us who wish to learn!
smile.gif

THANK YOU!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

Thanks so much, jrf!

I think it's safe for me to speak on behalf of my fellow moderators that we feel this forum is already successful in a few short days because of the knowledgeable, enthusiastic participation by the members of Bladeforums like yourself.

My hat is off in gratitude to ALL the people who are here sharing their knowledge and experience, and asking great questions, too!

Peace,

Brian.

Back