Welcome to our newest forum!

Welcome to our newest forum. We hope you enjoy the new forum and remember that many people who visit here only know of United Cutlery and other less than exemplary examples of swords so please be polite and cordial when they ask questions as well. Many people buy swords to hang on walls and a $50 sword may do them nicely.

Enjoy!

PS Anyone wishing to help out as a moderator in here, as Tom is pulling double duty, please speak up
smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
Show Your Support -Visit Our Sponsors - Click On The Banners!
Visit www.onestopknifeshop.com
All sales from 1 Stop Knife Shop help support this site!

I'll help out. I spent some time teaching 7th/8th grade, so I think moderating a forum should be pretty easy
smile.gif
(seriously, kids at that age... those who are willing to teach them full-time deserve a lot of credit)

If you're interested, email me at e_utopia@hotmail.com

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Thanks Mike! too cool for words, while I don't have much knowledge of true swords, I hope that someone will step up to help our TomW out.

I hope this will be a prosperous section, swords are much different than knives to be sure!

G2

Oh, most excellent!

I haven't had too much interest in swords, but I'm afraid that's about to change.
redface.gif
smile.gif

Thanks Mike, Spark, and TomW (and e-utopia, if you become moderator).

------------------
iktomi

I don't know why a sword forum hasn't been started by now. We have a lot of sword lovers in the group and I bet soon a lot more.
One thing that i would like is NOT to have the japanese sword dominate the forum like it does other places.
There are a lot of people that like to swing a big piece of steel and it usually isn't japanese.

[This message has been edited by TomW (edited 07-29-2000).]

I am looking forward to this forum although I think may knife budget will diminish more rapidly now.
Eric

------------------
Outside of a dog, a Knife is man's best friend. Inside a dog it is very, very Dark.

Oooh, I like this one. There is nothing more enjoyable than finishing a sword that turns out the way you want. I am working on one now but will be another year before I finish it. This will be the best piece I have ever done. This Winter will begin another. Would love to hear from others both buying and making.
Good to see Darrel Ralph here as his Michaels sword was really nice. Darrel got a picture you can post up for the guys?
fisk

I must have looked at that picture 100 times and every time i do it near takes my breath away.
Amazing

What I'd really like to see, is a huge poster size blow up of that pic offered at 1SKS!
EXTREME DPI so you don't lose the detail, I could look at that thing for years.

Btw Mike,
Thanks for the forum!

------------------
I cut it, and I cut it, and it's STILL too short!

The right click on that pic and make it your wallpaper
smile.gif

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
Show Your Support -Visit Our Sponsors - Click On The Banners!
Visit www.onestopknifeshop.com
All sales from 1 Stop Knife Shop help support this site!

Tom sent me that picture a few years ago and it has been my wall paper ever since.

Darrel collaring me at the blade show a couple of years ago to show me the thing in person and getting to meet the gentleman who consigned it have been the biggest highlight of my knife collecting carrer.

The piece still blows me away to this day. And the picture ain't chopped liver either.

Thanks Tom and Darrel.

------------------
" I am continually reminded of the rewards of dealing with custom knife makers and the custom knife community." Jeff J.

Hello

Now that BladeForum has a SwordForum, I will be coming over and help answer what questions I can and give what info possible.

The Art of the Swordsmith is a specialized field of the Arms and Armour Craft. On a forum like this, people will find out it is more than just making a "long knife". That a well made, "balanced" sword can be a joy to hold and behold.

There are many companies who do produce some good looking items and some make just "wallhangers" with some I would not even call that. There are many custom makers using traditional (Handforged/tradtional tempering/annealling) or modern methods (metal removal/furnace hardening) who do love the craft and honor the name of Swordsmith.

The Sword making community is a small one, really...smaller than the Knifemakers. The very best are well known for their quality work and word gets around quick who does not. For someone who is involved in "Live Steel" organizations/groups or Living history reenactment...this can be crucial.

Some makers are interested in just making artistically beautiful pieces with function secondary or are so beautifully done and are fully functional...you would just like to have but never think of using. Like the Knifeblade community, there are all kinds of Swordmakers to learn about.

For a novice to come to any of the Sword Forums like NetSword, SwordForum or to this new one, should come away with a better understanding about swords are/arent and missconceptions changed. Knowledge is the key before any possible purchase and/or just plain appreciation.

My two cents worth.

Back