Well my new 31 bit me...and it was closed!

I was tightening a snake knot on the lanyard with the knife closed and held in a tight grip as I pulled on the lanyard.

The knife slipped in my grip and I immediately felt the sting. Looked down and the crimson was flowing. What the heck?! Evidently the fat pad between my 1st and 2nd knuckle wedged in between the scales just enough to contact the closed blade.

I'm the only sob dumb enough to cut myself with a closed knife!

I was tightening a snake knot on the lanyard with the knife closed and held in a tight grip as I pulled on the lanyard.

The knife slipped in my grip and I immediately felt the sting. Looked down and the crimson was flowing. What the heck?! Evidently the fat pad between my 1st and 2nd knuckle wedged in between the scales just enough to contact the closed blade.

Don’t feel too dumb:cool: - some folks have experienced the same thing going as far back as the original models. It is what it is.

I haven’t done it with a CRK, but have come REALLY close a couple of times! Hope it wasn’t too bad...

Nope. You may well be the first one who did this with a 31, but the Classics and 21s have been known to bite their owners for decades now. It may not be an indication of sound knife design that the cutting edge sits so close to the open back of the scales (the Regular was much better in this regard), but it has become a tradition and as such the occasional nick may as well be embraced.

Last edited:
I got one from a 21 once, but it was like a paper cut stung a bit, but almost no blood.

A blade will always bite its owner IMO. Only then will it be loyal to its owner. I remember my 21L took my blood on the very first day of ownership. Only when I took shower that night, I felt a sting on my index finger and then noticed a thin cut line. I deduced that it happened when I was running my finger along the cutting edge earlier. It has not cut me since then. My Umnumzaan, drew blood when I used its tip to clean my big toe nail. It also has not cut me since then. My worst accident was a PM2 which slipped my hands and it gouged the side of of my heel. It bled alot but just a flesh wound fortunately. It happens I guess.

Is this more of a large Sebenza problem? I couldn't see this happening with any of my smalls.

I've done it before with CRKs and other open back designs. I believe there is a general rule in the knife universe, that until you cut yourself, the knife isn't truly yours. My wife last month had that happen to her and she just started smiling saying "Hey BABE, THIS knife is MINE NOW....." Oh well, gives me an excuse to find a new one, but it sure can get expensive!

Happened to me on a large Inkosi. I was adjusting the lanyard and evidently pushed my fat finger between the scales and suddenly there was blood on the hardwood floor. There really is not much space between the tip and the end of the scales so be careful.

I've done that a couple of times and I only carry the smalls.

However this backspacer solved the problem and it also will keep anything from dinging the edge while closed in the pocket!

UDUeekhl.jpg

WZsB3MPl.jpg

71G5oBCl.jpg

Back