Well used khuks

With the number of folks who use their khuks, does anybody have any pics of well-used HI khukuris? I feel the marks of use gives a blade a great individual character, plus each mark is a story waiting to be told.

Andrew Limsk

Andrew,

I was thinking a while back about posting pictures of my Udahipur villager after it's years of work. It's not a HI product. It came out of a village smithy and the standards of construction are not that of the regular HI line, but the design is great.

I dropped it on the concrete, and the flared wood handle chipped out. I filled it in with a mixture of epoxy and sawdust. Then the thin butcap came off and I tossed it away. I covered over the exposed part of the tang with a lump of grey epoxy paste.

It just gets uglier, and used more frequently, as the years pass.

Unfortunately it is not available to me for the next several months. I should have made the post and posted a picture when I first thought about it.

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

Got a box headed your way, Howard. No, not a khukuri to get you into more trouble.

Originally posted by redvenom
With the number of folks who use their khuks, does anybody have any pics of well-used HI khukuris? I feel the marks of use gives a blade a great individual character, plus each mark is a story waiting to be told.

Andrew Limsk

Yes, I do. Here are some pics of my 15" AK. It's been used for at least 3 years now and still kicking.:D it was used when I got it and needed a lot of TLC. The tip was bent, there were dings in the blade, 2 cracks in the handle, it was very dirty and the scabbard shrunk and split. Now the AK looks really good. I pounded the point back in place, gave the the blade, bolster and butt cap a brushed finish. I've used the 15" AK to split fire wood, dig holes and trim trees. It does a great job.:)

Can't forget these pics of the 15" Sirupati I used to have.

Hope these help:)

Heber you call that well used!?!?! Give me a day or two to post some pics of my AK, dings, dents, chips, cracks, and all...

Matthew

Originally posted by LongRifle
Heber you call that well used!?!?! Give me a day or two to post some pics of my AK, dings, dents, chips, cracks, and all...

Matthew

The Khukuri is Well Used. I can't remember the story exactly but I think the first owner tried to cut rocks with it or something like that.:p:D I used to have some pics of my AK before I did the work, but I lost them. When you get the pics, please post them.

They take a lickin' and keep on kickin'.

Oh Yeah! And IMO they even look better afterwards.:D

After four days of whackin' down black locust trees, my AK still looks like new. But the edge has improved significantly with use and burnishing.

I told my 12 year-old son I'd give this one to his son when he's ready for it. By then it should look "well used."

Best part of the deal is I now have a set of calluses on my hand that fit the knife perfectly, so locust trees everywhere will tremble at the sound of my name.

Heber you wanna keep that AK!!!! It's one of the earlier ones from BirGhorka or Shop-2 after they quit stamping them with KGR's initials or does it have them, I didn't see any?
You can tell from the flat butt cap.:)
The ones from Shop-1 had the dayumed scrolled butt caps that were almost impossible to file down the pointy part without ruining the dayumed thing!!!!!
That's another of the big benefits the Uncle Bill influenced the kamis to quit doing.
Life's been much easier with the flat butt caps even if the scrolled ones were prettier to look at.

So Raghorn whatcha gonna get fro your son?:D
I would suggest a Chitlangi or plain YCS to start him with. Who knows he may even let you "borrow" it once in a while.:p ;)
Black Locust is pretty tough, but nuthin is like the Oklahoma Blackjack Scrub Oak that sucks sand and dirt up into its sapwood!!!!
Talk about burnishing an edge!!!!!!!

Top is a WW 1 veteran.
Bottom is an HI villager.
Sebenza is there for scale...I've been using the handles to strike kitchen matches...call me old fashioned.

--Mike L.

Attachments

• used4.jpg
    used4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 98
Heber,

Your pics of that Sirupati are what influenced me to get my own. Saved the pic sometime ago but could not recall whose they were. Very good, clear pics by the way.

Thanks!
Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by wildmanh

Can't forget these pics of the 15" Sirupati I used to have.

Hope these help:)

Uncle Bill has a Chitlangi headed my way even as we speak.

My oldest boy (I have three) uses the el-cheapo yardsale khukuri to limb the trees after I fall them, but it won't hold an edge long enough to do much good. My knife budget is pretty well clobbered for the next month or three, but I suspect a BAS or 15" Sirupati will be on the menu before the next big camping trip.

If he gets a good final report card, I'll have an excuse... er reason to get him properly equipped.

Back