welt side...will differences in flesh/outer leather color even out with time?

As it says, I've got a big color difference between the flesh side and outer side of the welt edge.

I used homemade walnut dye and it looked fine until I applied the wax/oil finish, then the color difference became very noticeable(flesh side being darker).

I thought perhaps burnishing it on a wooden dowel mounted in the lathe would help, but it didn't really help with the color (did create a really nice surface though).

Now that it is waxed, oiled, and burnished is there anything that would permanently stick to the surface?

I'm thinking perhaps shoe polish, but then it might accentuate the differences even more.

You can strip or sand the wax and finish off the edge, dye it again, and re-burnish/finish.
Personally I don't worry about the difference in color. As long as the edge is even and smooth, I'm happy.

I don't necessarily hate the look of it, but to my newbie eye it would look more professional if it were all even in color.

But then again, in my circle, custom leather-work is non-existent...Buck sheaths and knives are considered top of the line:).

Do buyers of high end custom sheaths prefer to see a few signs the sheath was hand made or do they expect the uniformity only attainable from mass produced goods?

When using anything but black you will always get a "wood grain" effect on the welt and edges. Its just the nature of the dye acting on different substrates. If you notice that the flesh side of your leather always takes the dye a bit lighter than the grain side. You will also have a very thin glue line that is sometimes evident, sometimes not so much.

What really matters is getting your edges smooth and even, no divots, scars, or glue drips.

There is really only one way to get the edges a solid color, that awful edge paint, my best advice is dont go there. To my eye it always looks plastic and shows that the maker is a little lazy about finishing his or her edges.

If it is seen as a normal/natural outcome and not inferior, then I can live with that.

I've seen painted leather edges all cracked-up, flaking, and just looking bad...so I don't really care to go that route.

Carefully dye the edges and then burnish them. Unless it is black I don't think I have ever seen an edge exactly match the main color of the sheath. I dye all the edges black because I like the contrast.

DSC_0023_zpsd8e22cf2.jpg

Very nice edge there Skystorm.

Might end up doing that, but have to say that the "wood grain" is growing on me.

I'll post a picture when it's done.

This is not my work , I wish it was .
I found this image a while ago while searching the net .
My ambition is to one day achieve a similar finished result .
I live in hope .:)

Ken

Now that's one sexy edge! I wonder what combination of tooling, sanding, and burnishing achieved that.

Back