Went Dove hunting today

Went with the guys from my office and took my oldest boy with me. We lost around five birds in the tall grass. He shot very well with the bb gun. I was proud of him for that and also cause he helped clean the birds. They grow up quick!

I am the ugly fella second from the left.

Picture289528x396.jpg

Picture2811077x808.jpg

Picture284528x396.jpg

Picture2821077x808.jpg

good thing the man didnt come by and check you.. that open beverage or any alcohol beverage while hunting (esp with kids) will net you some deep sh*t.. atleast thats how it works here in NC.

other than that its good to get you son out and letting him shoot around too.. next year or so get that boy a .410.. i still have mine when my dad gaveit to me at the age of 10 or so.. obviously i only got to use it with him hunting. him only i might add. he was strict about it but thats a good thing. love that lil gun

Looks like a fun day!

I would advise skipping the .410 and going to a light .20 ga. The .410 has such a poor pattern density that it makes shooting anything moving rather frustrating. Low brass .20's don't have much kick, and a much better shot pattern and range.

We had a blast. HungSolo you mean after your out of the field and cleaning the birds you can't have an open beer in NC? I was thinking about a 410/.22 rifle, but the dove here are possessed! I think the 20 guage will work better, heck I might just get both.

We had a blast. HungSolo you mean after your out of the field and cleaning the birds you can't have an open beer in NC? I was thinking about a 410/.22 rifle, but the dove here are possessed! I think the 20 guage will work better, heck I might just get both.

if a WL rolled up on us and he sees what your picture portrays then yeah he could do his best to burn us. (pending on officer).. bc it does look like you were drinking and shooting (according to your pic).. that is all. i dont care if you drink and shoot. that is your own business. just be careful bc the man can do something if he really wanted to.

he was right on the 20ga.. i did have a hard time hitting doves with the .410 (hell i have hard time hitting them with a 12ga haha).... squirrels and other slower game, no.. killed quite a few with it. infact i still use it from time to time on snakes, squirrels and etc

How do you prepare them ? Breast of dove on toast ? Breast of dove wrapped in bacon on the grill ? The rest of the bird can make good sauces for pasta.

I usually marinate them with italian dressing over night, put some cream cheese and jalapeno between the breasts and wrap with maple bacon. Then grill. The rest of the bird, including heart and gizzards, gets the meat pulled off then mixed in with fried rice.

we just marnate over night, wrap in bacon and slow grill it.. the guts get tossed.

HS what do you use for a marinade? I want to try something new this year.

Back