West systems epoxy, large size containers.

I like it for the most part. For my limited use (lightly coating ito wrap), I actually buy the little 6-pack repair kit.
It makes sense to buy the big container if you use it a lot.
I do have one complaint, even a tiny amount put over white silk wrap has turned quite yellow.
I had to convince myself that it represents centuries of handling in battles.

A few youtube knife makers use it in this size. I think Aaron Gough is one. Not positive, but I think the pumps are supposed to measure out the ratios for you. So if you don't use full pumps the ratios may be off. Not sure if their epoxy has any leeway in the ratios, I am sure it does to account for mistakes.

I have used 105 resin with the slow and fast hardeners for many years. The pumps work well but dispense too much in one push for most knife making applications. I use a little scale to weigh it out. The epoxy is pretty thin, I use it mostly for laminations, but have glued up all my knives with it. The fast hardener will turn reddish brown over time, I think this may be worse if you keep it in warmer temperatures. The slow hardener stays clear a lot longer, but will also darken. I now keep it inside and it does not seem to darken as quickly, but I still would not recommend it if clarity is important to you and you cannot use it up in a couple of months or so. I believe they have an extra clear hardener, but I have not used it. If you are used to five minute epoxies, this stuff will seem like water. I frequently use colloidal silica and other fillers for thickening. Even with the fast hardener, this stuff takes long to cure and I always leave it to cure overnight. Lastly, this epoxy produces an oily film that is called "amine blush" during curing. That will probably not matter for most knife building with the possible exception of bedding tangs, where the amine blush could prevent a good bond when you glue the blade in permanently. I wash out the tang hole with alcohol a couple of times and so far so good.

Long story short, I use it for making knives because I have it around anyway and I am familiar with it. If I had to buy epoxy just for knife making, I would probably get something else.

I switched from the g-flex to this in the size you linked. The pumps are pre-measured so the ratio is accurate and consistent. My only problem with the pumps is that I get more epoxy than I need if I just have one or two knives to glue up. I could probably do 5-8 knives with the amount provided with one pump from each container. The g-flex takes much longer to harden than this stuff. Within 3-4 hours depending on ambient temperature, this stuff is hard. I think both take 12 plus hours to fully harden and cure. I like the pumps and will buy again when I start to get low. The pumps are reusable so the next time I purchase, hopefully I can save some coin and just buy the cans.

G flex is the best epoxy for knife making because it does not harden rigidly. It has a slight amount of give so when the wood and steel expand at different rates due to temp change the bond does not break. An easy way to use it is fill two hypodermic needles used for horses with Part A and B. Squirt an equal amount of each into a non-waxed paper cup and mix. Leave the unmixed epoxy in the hypodermics until next time

I used to have West system in large size containers. I switched to System-Three and buy it in quart (resin) and pint (hardener) sizes.

Back