Western Fixed blade

I purchased a nice Western Stainless fixed blade and original sheath this afternoon. There is a stamp on the finger guard, S-H 48B. Is it fair to assume the S indicates Stainless, H indicates hunter and the 48B is of course the model Number? The blade has never had an edge put on it, measures 3 1/2 in. long, and 7 1/4 in. overall. It has a jigged bone handle and aluminum pommel. I admit to liking carbon blades better, but at the price it was offered to me for I couldn't not buy it. It's a very clean knife. Dale H.

I have the S-H 48A

I think the H is the handle material???

H48_Main.jpg

Here is mine, marked H48B with another H below that. Found it in a pawn shop, brand new without a sheath for $15.

John

1zn3lmh.jpg

Last edited:
John, nice looking knife. A friend of mine has a second hand store and is slowly selling things off so he can retire. He keeps pulling small little treasure boxes out from behind the counter and it's anyones guess what he has stored in them. That's where this knife and sheath came from. He has quite a collection of knives, some beaters, others very good shape. Always an adventure when I go to visit Bill. Thanks again for sharing the photo of your knife. Dale H.:thumbup:

Back when my daughter was in college, every time I went to see her I would check out the local pawn shop. Always seemed to find good stuff there.

John, Understand that draw to pawn shops and second hand stores. my wife claims the store is theraputic for me. But , boy , he sure does haves a collection of knives and old fishing tackle(a little off subject on that one) Dale H.

Here is mine, marked H48B with another H below that. Found it in a pawn shop, brand new without a sheath for $15.

John

1zn3lmh.jpg

In the case of the H (on it's own line), that relates to a year of manufacture. I believe A=1978 (the first year they did this additional designator), B=1979, so H would be 1985, if my calculations are correct, which is not always the case. I have a 648A over A

Western648A.jpg

8 1/4" Total Length with a 4 1/2" blade

A = 1977 As far as the handle material H = horn W = wood R = rubber. I am into the wooden handled ones. My knives are on the web site above (some, old picture). When Camillus took over there was markings like WW-49.

Looked at the catalog and "A" has a "blood groove" and "B" doesn't. They made two types of the same model number. Some of the catalogs posted on the site are mine that I wanted to share with Western Knife folks. History of Western Knives can be found in the catalogs.

In 1911, Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing Company was founded in Boulder, CO. Western Cutlery moved from Boulder, CO. to Longmont, CO. in 1978. They became Coleman-Western in 1984. In 1991, Camillus bought Western Cutlery of Colorado, a competitor that was in business since 1896.

Trent, I knew of the "Black Beauty" but didn't know what the prefix was. F-39????

Back