Western L66

afishhunter

Gold Member
Just found and bought a Western L66, that dates from 1980.
(The tang stamp has a "D" under the "USA L66")

Does anyone know if Western was using 440A or 1095 for the L66 in 1980?

Google and BING are both being a brat, and refuse to divulge that information. :mad:

Since it is almost 40 I would imagine if it has staining it would be the carbon steel and if it is entirely shiny it would be the stainless steel. Can you post a picture?

Unfortunately, either my "smart" phone or me, is too stupid to post a picture using my phone. :(

Mods, if I put this thread in the wrong place, please move it to Mr. Levine's forum.
Thank you.

Unfortunately, either my "smart" phone or me, is too stupid to post a picture using my phone. :(
Try this https://postimages.org/
Hit the link
You'll see upload image, hit that
Then select the image from the pictures on your phone
Once uploaded scroll down to the hotlink for forums
Hit the blue icon which will copy it
Then you just paste it here in your post by tapping and holding.

If you follow these few simple steps you'll have a full.sized image here for all to see.

Last edited:
Thanks to all you enablers, I picked up this mint 1984 Western L66, and I love it!
According to the catalogs it is 1095 CroVan, but it's so shiny it looks like stainless steel.

D9Vu8Mq.jpg

Jeff, that looks like a good score. Can we see a photo of it later this year in action taking care of some game please:thumbsup:

Thanks to all you enablers, I picked up this mint 1984 Western L66, and I love it!
According to the catalogs it is 1095 CroVan, but it's so shiny it looks like stainless steel.

D9Vu8Mq.jpg
Great score.
I love the old school raised clip point these have that takes after the good ol' american butcher knife.

Thanks fellas, but I'm afraid this one is gonna be a safe queen. I've got too many others ahead of it in line to be used deer hunting.

Nice knife Jeff
The “ H “ at the bottom of the Stamping on the Ricasso denotes the year is this correct my friend?

I can accommodate you a bit on pictures of a Western F66 cleaning deer - my old Black Beauty (gift from my parents, Christmas 1966). I use it to clean one every few years. My blade is definitely carbon steel - it will stain. That's a nice one you found Jeff - the leather handles have always been my favorite style. OH
Colonels_deer.jpg

DSC023041.JPG

DSC023001.JPG

Nice knife Jeff
The “ H “ at the bottom of the Stamping on the Ricasso denotes the year is this correct my friend?

Thanks, Duncan, that's my understanding. Beginning in 1977 they started with A and added one letter for each year ('78 B, '79 C, etc.) up to 1991, when Camillus bought Western from Coleman and discontinued the dating codes.

I can accommodate you a bit on pictures of a Western F66 cleaning deer - my old Black Beauty (gift from my parents, Christmas 1966). I use it to clean one every few years. My blade is definitely carbon steel - it will stain. That's a nice one you found Jeff - the leather handles have always been my favorite style. OH
Colonels_deer.jpg

DSC023041.JPG

DSC023001.JPG
Yep, at this time they were using a chrome Vanadium 1095 I believe.
I know my f48a from '68-'72 is a CV blade, it's a bit resistant to patina though.

Back