Western W49

I hope this is the right place. I have a Western W49 marked
WESTERN
U.S.A. W49
M

This knife has a 2 stamped on the brass guard and on the wooden handle just behind the guard. My question is, what's the 2 indicate?

The kinfe was made in 1989 by Western. I have never seen a 2 on a Western so a guess will be that it is a second or has some kind of reason to be a reject or factory blem. Where on the guard and handle is the stamp? Picture?

Once you get started on Westerns it is hard to stop.

100-1454.jpg

The 2 is stamped on the edge of the guard inline with the brass rivets and on the wood between the guard and the first rivet.

Found a Westmark on the bay with a 2 stamped on it also. As I said, I have never seen it before. Need to wait for Phil to get on and let us know because I want to know myself, now.

We never stamped the guards on any Westerns produced at Camillus.
The logic of it indicating the knife being a Second would surely depend on where the stamp was on the guard, as it would be stamped as being a second after it was finished,

Please post pics of the stamps & let's see if we can figure this mystery out! :thumbup:

Phil, I have a couple of pictures off the bay of the Westmark 702 with the 2 on it. I know that Camillus didn't make the Westmark line but this one I found. When Camillus took over Western were there any records of the serial number usage on the Westmarks? I have one 701 and 2 702s and would like to date them. Thanks

405042538-o.jpg

405042695-o.jpg

I suppose that stamp could have been applied to a finished knife. :confused:

In my opinion that is a tricky (and dangerous) way to mark a 2nd.

Not sure what else it signifies though??

One day I will take a new picture because I have a few more now. I started collecting wood handled Westerns but strayed off course with the one rubber handled R16. Have three Westmarks two 702's and one 701 now.

I have 5 Western fixed blades.

Three weremade in Boulder, Co.; including an official BSA knife, and an L-71 Seebee knife.
The other two are Western/Coleman knives, from the mid-80's.

Steve

When I was in High School a friend of mine got a Westmark 701 as a gift. I loved that knife, and was so jealous. Then about 2 or 3 weeks later I was in a pawn shop and found my own Westmark 701. I couldn't believe the luck! I gave $25 for it. I carried it on every camping and fishing trip for about 15 years, Then retired it in favor of a blade I wasn't as worried about beating up. This is still one of my favorite knives though. My friend still has his as well.
DSC00539.jpg

That was a great deal for a 701. Look on the bay and see what they go for now. The Westmarks were very well built knives. My favorite is the 702 because of the size is smaller than the 701 and 703. I don't have a 703 but I am going by pictures.

I've ID'd a few W49's as Camillus manufacture with the following markings on the name side of the blades ricasso:
Western
W49 USA.

Did Camillus use any other markings for the W49?
Did Camillus continue the practice of date marking the W49 or did they drop it from the beginning of manufacture?

what type steel did Western use? particularly with their pre letter and early letter knives? and what is the rockwell hardness?

Back