Western W82 made by Camillus?

After reading this thread, http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781707
That indicated Western Knives were made by Camillus, I thought HEY, I've got one of those. If memory serves, I bought this one back in the early eighties. May have been nineties though. :rolleyes:
Any info about this is both welcomes and appreciated. :)
-Bruce
Western Knife & Sheath.
standard.jpg

A close up showing the text on the blade.
standard.jpg

Found your knife in the 1986 Western Catalog. Two similar models the W83,& W84 show up in the 1982 catalog but not your W82. Hope this helps narrow it down. Pre-Camillus for sure as far as when they started making the knife. There should be a date code on the blade for that era knife. If the mark in front of stainless is an O (I'm not sure I can make it out),Than it was made in 1991 but not by Camillus, ( they never date stamped their Westerns).

Last edited:
Found your knife in the 1986 Western Catalog. Two similar models the W83,& W84 show up in the 1982 catalog but not your W82. Hope this helps narrow it down. Pre-Camillus for sure as far as when they started making the knife. There should be a date code on the blade for that era knife. If the mark in front of stainless is an O (I'm not sure I can make it out),Than it was made in 1991 but not by Camillus, ( they never date stamped their Westerns).

Any idea what type of steel used? I'm guessing 440 stainless.
Thanks for the information. :)
-Bruce

Because they do have a year mark I will assume that they are all Western made prior to Camillus.

Because they do have a year mark I will assume that they are all Western made prior to Camillus.

Very safe assumption!
A year mark indicates production prior to Camillus acquiring the name.

Just pulled it out and put a nice edge on it, making me curious about it once again.
Anybody else have any more info on it? :)

I bought a beat up little fixed blade at the flea market today. I cleaned it up and noticed the western boulder colo made in USA stamp and it has 648B on the guard. It has a leather handle. Does anyone know anything about this knife? Or when it was made

i bought a beat up little fixed blade at the flea market today. I cleaned it up and noticed the western boulder colo made in usa stamp and it has 648b on the guard. It has a leather handle. Does anyone know anything about this knife? Or when it was made
congrats! Post a photo or two of it here when you get the chance. :)

The "Boulder Colo" as part of the stamp, makes it is pre-1974. Western dropped reference to Boulder in 1973 or 1974, depending on the model.

With the stamp on the guard, this makes it a post 1967/1968 version when the guard stamps started.

So 1967/1968 to 1973/1974.

The 6 in the model number means the handle material is Delrin (plastic).

The model 48s were Western's "Bird and Trout" knives, and came in A, B and briefly, C variations.

"A" models were mostly 4-3/8" blades (+/-), the "B" models were 3-7/8" blades and the "C"s models were 3.0" The "C"s were only made in the late 40s and early 50s and are tough to find. They were such great, inexpensive users that they basically got used up and discarded.

Looks like the attachment bug has bitten you. Edit one of the posts and delete the attachment and then re-load the attachment. Most of the time that fixes "missing picture" syndrome.

Back