Western Westmark Knives

Ed, thank you. Being new here, I knew that I couldn't ask for a specific valuation, but felt a ball-park figure might be okay. My knife is mint, no dings, dents or scratches, never been an attempt at sharpening, the sheath however has a few blemishes having taking the brunt of keeping the knife in it's pristine condition. Again, thank you, your link has proven very helpful. LTM

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd add to this one since it is the newest.

Added a new-to-me Westmark - a W77 version. I had never seen one before. No serial numbers on this one.

My Westmarks, top to bottom 701 702 703 W77

Westmark 4 knives.jpg

ZZyZZ, I also have a Westmark W77 style boot knife in the box. will get a picture up tonight after work. Always wondered about it because the Western catalogs only show the three 700's.

The W77 is in the 1982 Western Catalog marked as a WESTERN knife. They made other variations like the W75 and the 777 also during the Western/Coleman period.
Do either of the knives mentioned above have Date letters stamped on them?

The W75 and W77 with Western stamps have date codes and the model numbers. My Westmark one does not have either date codes, model numbers or a serial number like the 700 series of knives do (no date code, just model numbers for the 700s).

In addition to the 777 mentioned, there was a 757. These had rubber handles if I remember correctly. Mine are out in the shop hiding in a box somewhere. My shop is a disaster as my mother is in the process of selling her house and a whole lot of "stuff" has taken over my shop for "temporary storage", kinda like that old movie "The Amoeba That Ate New York".

There are also the Camillus versions stamped CP75 and CP77 with kraton like handles. Their leather sheaths are identical to the Western/Coleman-Western era boot knife sheaths. The CP77 also came as a CP77K (no K on the knife) where the "K" indicated it came with a Kydex sheath.

With the addition of the Westmark, I have one of every Western/Western related 77/75 boot knife. Just need to find one of the Kydex sheaths now.

Last edited:
sac troop and ZZZyZZZ, I am back to add more mystery to this boot knife issue. Western Knives are fun and my first love in knives.

First my W75 and W77 are marked as normal. The WM77 only is marked Westmark. The handle is much the same as the Westerns as is the sheath. I do have the box that the WM77 came in and there is nothing to say who made this knife. I have a picture of my three boot knives (left to right W77, W75, WM77). Have a picture of the top of the box and the Westmark logo is not at all like the logo on the box I have with my 701. I also hase a picture of the end label on the box (that is why I call it a WM77 not a W77).

I will be waiting to hear from you two. :)

Went out and did a trademark search. Didn't find a trademark depicted as on these WM77s (the bump on top of the M and to the left of the middle arm of the E).

Only found 1 trademark referring to hunting knives. That was the application by Western in 1972 for the Westmark trademark. The application had an initial use date of 19700707 (07 July 1970). The mark is still "live" having been renewed for the 3rd time 20120826 (26 Aug 2012) by Smokey Mountain Knife Works. No info there on when the trademark was transferred to SMKW.

This is just speculation on my part, but it's possible that these boot knives were made for Smokey Mountain by Camillus. If Camillus didn't want to continue the Westmark line after they took over in 1992, they might have sold the name/trademark to SMKW. Camillus obviously kept making the W77/W75, and added the CP77/CP75. It would have relatively simple for them to run a batch for SMKW, just using a different Westmark stamp. This is probably a wild association, but the font on the barcode on you box looks just like the font on the barcodes on the Camillus/Western boxes I have. IIRC, didn't Camillus make a ton of stuff for SMKW?

Maybe Phil will stop by and drop a few pearls on us.

Back