1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Wet forming a pouch sheath after its made

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by thatsaknife, Aug 5, 2015.

1. thatsaknife

thatsaknife

Mar 27, 2015
    Hi leather folks
    The sheath I make for my last knife works great and hold the knife fine.
    Problem is when I holster it it cuts the second to last or last stitch in bottom of the sheath
    I thought of pushing down a chunk of leather as a stop but wondered if I could some how wet form the top of the sheath to mold into the handle in order to make the knife stop a quarter of an inch before the bottom?
    [​IMG]
    Here is Knife style
    [​IMG]
    Here is the sheath (with a different knife)

2. cubegleamer

cubegleamer

Feb 3, 2011
    Is there a welt in the sheath?

3. thatsaknife

thatsaknife

Mar 27, 2015
    yes however the point cuts right through the welt into the stitch if I push it in to hard

4. vilePossum

vilePossum

Jan 14, 2015
    i did something similar with a sheath of mine, just wetted the inside (don't overdo it, start slowly) in the area where you want to do the forming and push the knife in. if you need outside pressure, see if you have some kind of dense foam (like the fitness mats they also use for kydex pressing) to form a press of some sort.

5. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Yeah definitely. You can mold around the ricasso to keep the knife from bottoming out. I use warm water inside the sheath like VP, but I wet the entire thing (you can go very sparingly on the outside) just so that you don't get water staining. Nice knife and sheath. :)

6. thatsaknife

thatsaknife

Mar 27, 2015
    Thanks I will give it a try. Thanks for the compliments. I see that some guys leather looks molded to the shape of knife almost like it was kydex.