1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Wet forming help

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Brhowser87, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    So I'm about as green as green can get when it comes to leather work but I've made a few useful pouche's and such. My question is, is there a tutorial on wet forming that you guys could point me to? (Yes I've searched the forum :D) With some of the awesome work I see posted here is was hoping our resident experts could help me. I guess a big question is have (on top of the tutorial) would be is there a method to set the form, to get it to hold if u will? Do you just let it sit and dry?

Thanks in advance guys

2. harronek

harronek

Nov 29, 2013
    Have a look at the tutorials at the top of the page and read Gary Graleys ones .
    There isnt one dedicated to just wet forming , but it is mentioned in at least one of them .
    They helped me a lot .

Brhowser87 likes this.
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    For me the baking I do after wet molding really locks in the shape. Thats discussed in the tutorial on Pancake sheaths.

Brhowser87 likes this.
  4. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Heat shrinks leather, you can tighten a sheath a little with a paint stripper or hair dryer. But be carefull, the same heat is very bad for glue

Brhowser87 likes this.
  5. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I'm going to try the heat.