Wetterlings Hudson Bay Axe - Review

So as most of you that are familiar with me on here, you know that I have the Wetterlings HB axe, and am going to review it.

So to set all things straight, this is how this goes.

I contacted Wetterlings and asked them for the axe and for the chance to review it. I have a few reasons why -

1. I have a collection of axes. Just over 500 by last count, and growing. At the rate of around 4 a week. Its probably a disease at this point.
2. I dont have a lot of HB pattern axes overall.
3. I haven't really done a fairly in depth axe review before, and I want to get into more of these
4. I have never been a big fan of Euro axes overall. I would like to give all axes a fair chance, and end my old dumb thinking.
5. I loves axes.

So, that's it. I am not paid by Wetterlings or anyone/company/identity with axes, manufacturing, etc. This was done to expand me into reviews.

Quick Specs -

2 1/2 lb head, with about a rough 3 1/2 lb overall weight. Wooden wedge, no metal wedge. Head hardened to a 57 Rockwell scale for hardness, poll is not hardened, and hickory handle about 24 inches long. Delivered sharp and ready to go. Sheath included.

The following are with the Best Made, for comparison. As you can see it is smaller overall in most dimensions. The heads, while same weight, offer different perspectives.

So, first impressions -

1. Its FAT. Bit thickness front to back is way different than what I had seen with most axes, and especially HB. What does this mean, why, etc?(HB pattern has been discussed in some detail in other threads on BF, check there for some good insight on HB history) I asked Wetterlings why the thicker head - they stated it is styled after HB patterns they offered in USA and Canada in the ~ 60s. So, to me, I took that as getting back to basics.

2. It feels heavy. And technically it is, compared to what I was used to, so I don't think for me to say it is heavy is technically an accurate statement.

3. Sheath is really nice, quality soft but not too soft leather.

4. It is sharp! Very nice. No need to touch up before use. Its ready.

5. Good grain, sharp, and nice overall size. Lets get to choppin.

So, I was trying to figure out what to use this on, for the sake of the review, so the most people could get the most out of it. So, I had a dead pine tree on the property I thought would make a decent example. It is about the right size that I thought most people would be after using this axe, and would be a great example. Possibilities are endless to what could be done with it, example wise. So here we go -

This tree is about 20 ft tall(roughly) and about 6 inches wide at base.

First series of swings for the notch, no issues, performed fine. Did not bind.

Tree on the ground - took about maybe 10 minutes by the time i was all said and done - checking axe every few swings, edge, etc. This will make an excellent limbing trial.

So as you can see below, it limbed this tree like hot knife threw butter. No issues. The weight of the head I found to be a benefit here, and it just blew right thru the limb very tight to trunk and never missed a beat. All in one swing except one, which, was....yes you guessed it - Operator error.

So, now to get some chopping in, or in this case to buck the log. Some up close(somewhat) shots of the action -

So it was no issue bucking this log. I stayed wide on the V in order to see if it would produce good chips, and it did, even real nice plates. It went right thru, and did not bind up once. The front front back back side to side technique of choppin with this axe made it easy. No issues. I was pleased overall. Checked the bit, no signs of any wear, damage, etc. Still sharp. Head tight, no issues.

So, another preliminary thought was that due to its thickness, this thing must be able to split. Couple pics from splitting the pine -

I split a couple pieces of it - and it blasted right thru - one swing each time. I even set a piece down on the ground long ways, and hit it, and it split it just fine. No issues. The bit geometry paid off here with splitting. I split a few other pieces, and the result was the same, so I didn't include any more redundant pictures. It performed very well. Bit check - still sharp, no issues. Head still tight, no issues.

So, I moved on to another tree. This one, for a HB, was quite larger, and a hardwood. It was dead up top, but still seemed to have some life to it at the base, but it had to go in order to make room for other growing trees around it. Figured it would make a good specimen for what we were after.

So I went right into it, and gave it hell. Axe performed without an issue.

And down she went. I then cleared off the stump with the axe, and it loped it right off with a couple swings flush.

Good length for bucking -

Processed it into lengths in no time. I had brought along my Flint Edge axe, but there was no need to use it. Check on the axe - still sharp, head still tight. No issues.

I also chopped the limbs up into about 2 foot lengths to throw in my fire pit. The axe is real nice as you can choke up on the handle and go one handed, hatchet style, but still have the balance and weight of the head for this task. Like this -

I took some of the limbs I chopped up, and did make them sharp on one end, and them pound them into the ground with the poll of the axe - hammer style. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of this, so that is a correction of errors on me. I will say there were no issues, and the balance of the axe was comfortable, and easy to drive the stakes/limbs.

I spent about 6 hours with the axe on Saturday, and another 4 on Sunday. Saturday was the day above, and I carried the axe with me all day, everywhere I went, as I wanted to see how it felt - weight, balance, ease of carry, etc. It was fine, no issues. It didn't wear me out, or be a burden. Sunday, I went for a walk in the woods behind my house, and took it with me. Again, not being a bushcraft guy, but I still wanted to see if it would be a burden to carry. I carried it by hand, and then also to my backpack. No issues. On my pack I couldn't really tell it was there, weight wise. Was no issue.

So, in summary, this is what I found -

If we get back to my first impressions -

1. Its fat. Well, technically its not. I just wasn't used to it. The head style I found to be an asset, as it bound up ONCE the entire time I used it. It split very well. It handled nicely once I was used to the head. Fat issue is a non issue, to me anyway.

2. Heavy. Which relates to 1. It is not heavy, it just has a different proportion/balance than what I was used to. Once I had some time with it, and especially on the walk, there were no issues.

3. Sheath. Still nice, no issues.

4. Sharp. This I found interesting. It is still sharp. I haven't touched it with a file, stone, strop, anything. It is just like I took it out of the box. I am impressed.

5. Handle - No issues. Handle still tight to head(remember no metal wedge, and some people freaked out about that - but Wetterlings assured me it isn't needed). No issues overall with handle, cracks, splinters, etc.

Overall I found the axe to be a pleasure to use, and had no issues with it. It's still sharp sitting here beside me as I type this up lol.

I think for anyone used to the HBs as most know them today, this would take a little getting used to, but there is no issue.

I think it could make an excellent all around chore axe, camp, canoe, etc. It has great size to wear the length isn't a packing issue, and the overall weight is also good. you can split and pound if needed.

Balance is good, one hand or two.

It did what I asked it to do - fell, limb, buck, split, etc. No issues.

To get picky - I would of preferred a fatter foot on the handle. But this is personal preference, nothing more. It was not an issue.

Again, this wasn't all inclusive, as there were some things I could of done with it, but chose not to. I like the basics.

Overall I was happy with it, and I hope someone can find some use out of this basic review.

Thanks!!

Good review. Thanks, Op.

Nice to see a European axe maker putting some metal back in the cheeks.

Great review. I really didn't expect it to chop, especially on the hardwood, as well as it did. I suppose it "looks" fat because we, or I, am used to euro axes to be thinner and flat. Maybe the pictures are a little bit of an optical illusion because it looks REALLY thick in the pics.

Looks like a really good option for a packable, capable, and damn good all around axe.

Keep the reviews coming! I enjoyed the read.

Great start, thanks for the work. Would you try feathersticks/shavings also. I found thickness complicates them somewhat, but either way it seems like it will do pretty much everything a camp axe needs to do. More of a long term/semi-permanent camp axe, I guess.

Im new to this part of BF but if you don't mind me chiming in, I'll add thats an excellent review. It has everything I was looking for to make a final decision to go ahead and purchase. Now if I can just find one in stock somewhere. Thank you Operator. Good job.

Excellent review! For me (and we know google rigs the game) this review was the second hit when I searched google and in various positions on the first page of other engines.

nice review. thanks for taking the time to put it together for us.

i received my wetterlings hb in the mail yesterday. no woods time yet, but my initial impression is favorable.

Thank you Operator. Man (judging by the growth rings) do pines ever grow fast out in your neck of the woods! I like the fact that Wetterlings shortened the blade and lengthened the head at the eye in order to address traditional HB shortcomings without detracting from the appearance.

Nice review.

It seems that the newer Wetterlings have always felt heavier than there advertised weight to me.

Am I the only one that has noticed this?

Has anyone weighed just the head?

Maybe I am just used to lighter axes that are a little worn, but I do find that the vintage stuff can easily be off by a 1/4 lb either way from there stamped weight so it is not all wear.

So this review I would say is "ok", it needs work.

The request for feathersticks I do agree with, and I will try on the next one, if the axe falls into that category. I will put it out there though I am not a bushcrafter, so my end result of the feathersticks will be limited by me and not the axe, and I am not sure if that is really fair to the axe.

I think more splitting, and more pounding is needed, and more root/vine chopping pics. The basics are what I use an axe for - felling, limbing, bucking, splitting, chopping, and pounding. Need more of the last two.

Spec wise I think I needed more handle info - grain, how it feels(awesome btw), etc. Could of used a little more there.

Final wrap up was alright, basic/newbie at best. But that is what I am at reviews, so can only get better.

Next review coming soon - but its a terrible time of year for me - work is busy, remodel on the garage so i can make my axe shop the way I want before the heat of the south kicks in, yard work, woods work, etc. We all are busy. I will sneak some time in for some more reviews. Not sure which one is up next, maybe another Wetterlings, they are growing on me for sure!

Thanks!

Thanks for this in-depth review! I have been looking for a newer single bit, as I mainly have longer, heavier double bits. Your review is a wealth of practical info that answered just about every question I had.

One thing that I've been thinking about is the "relative" weight/balance as compared to a bigger axe in the 3.5 - 4 lb range. For example, when I use a heavier axe with a longer handle, it cuts and bucks like a champ, but when it comes to tasks requiring more finesse, it can become a little cumbersome.

I know that this can be a personal preference that has a subjective element to it, but how did you like the balance of this axe? It appears to have performed well in every test you gave it.

Back