1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whale's tooth

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by jwccustom57, Oct 7, 2018.

1. jwccustom57

jwccustom57 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Greetings everyone, Just putting the final touches on this one. I struggled with naming the knife style, it's Persian-esque I suppose but when I realized it looked like a whale tooth I knew what needed to be done with the sheath. A couple of practice pieces beforehand but I'm not sure I nailed it the way I wanted, especially the splash, where I spread a layer of paint on a flat plate and applied by tapping a small finish nail. Comments/critique welcome as always.

18-35 1.JPG 18-35 5.JPG

Gary W. Graley, Horsewright and Macan like this.
  2. ANovinc

ANovinc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Looks good! Did you seal the paint with anything to help ensure the paint does not wear off? Just curious for my own reference.

Horsewright likes this.
  3. jwccustom57

jwccustom57 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    Hi @ANovinc, I used to use Fiebings neutral Resolene (not too shiny) but thought it stiffened the leather too much so I tried Dr. Jacksons Leather conditioner... it "nourishes, softens and protects". I really don't know how much protection it provides but definitely softer than the other stuff. I'd be much obliged myself for any advice on this aspect cause I don't know much.

Horsewright likes this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    I like the ocean spray. I think it came across well. If you are looking for a finish try either Fiebings Bag Kote or Bee Natural Sheridan Resist and Finish. I'd probably use the latter to protect your nice paint job.

5. jwccustom57

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks a lot Dave I'll look into those.