Wharncliffe folders

Brutus013

BANNED
What are your favorite wharncliffe folders? I've been looking at the Spyderco Centofante IV and it seems like a very nice knife.

While these are not strict wharncliffes as there's a little curve to the blades, I like them all.

AG Russell Featherlite utility blade

Benchmade 921 Switchback (out of production but some sites still have them)

Benchmade 440 Opportunist.

Phil

what are the advantages of a wharncliffe blade? they seem a lil funky to me.

Fine detail work. Excellent tip control. Same cutting angle across the whole length of the blade. Very easy to sharpen. And they do all the other basic knife tasks well too.

Except skinning.

Boker Warcom
It is actually a sheepsfoot!
Short razor blade with all the advantages of the warnie blade end.
Ergonomics of the handle and the shortness of the blade makes for a very useable knife.

Also the knife in a reverse grip would be quite scary.

CRKT Grey Ghost
Very comfortable knife in Aluminum handles and AUS8 blade.
Made before they changed their marketing policy and were producing some nice knives
Look for it on eBay.

Last edited:
What are your favorite wharncliffe folders? I've been looking at the Spyderco Centofante IV and it seems like a very nice knife.

Get it. You won't regret it. You might even start to wonder why you have any other knives. I know I did.

I have a Lambert Whar and sometimes use the very sharp perfectly straight hollow ground blade for some personal grooming. It takes a lot of care and attention to get and keep the knife sharp enough though. I prefer a curved single edge like my new Caly3 better though.

The Kershaw Centofante/Onion (#1615) is my favorite Wharnie folder. The blade is a hair over 2" and it's an AO. The black with MOP inlays is attractive, but no clip; it has a leather sheath with a clip so you have a few carry options. It is a bit heavy, but the polished blade is beyond scary sharp.

Greg

Currently I have a Kershaw Dbl Cross that has a wharnny blade , and also a Lone Wolfe Loveless City Knife. I find it a very useful blade shape.

I like the Centofantes but I found the handles rather slippery compared to most other Spydercos, so I sold mine.

Back