Wharncliffe vs. Quasi-Sheepsfoot (Utility, Not Tactics)

I've pretty much dismissed the term reverse tanto as just a high-speed, low-drag way of saying wharncliffe.
Well, the Pro-tech Malibu comes in both, and while they are both straightish edge wise, they are otherwise quite different. I believe one is flat ground vs hollow. I believe one of the "defining" characteristics of a reverse tanto is hollow ground, but I could be smoking some bad reef.

Well, the Pro-tech Malibu comes in both, and while they are both straightish edge wise, they are otherwise quite different. I believe one is flat ground vs hollow. I believe one of the "defining" characteristics of a reverse tanto is hollow ground, but I could be smoking some bad reef.
In that instance I would say they're using the term just differentiate their two variations. Similar to the way I like tantos with thin, slicey grinds and a steep front angle but don't care for thick, tactical ones but they're both considered tantos.

The main defining feature of a wharncliffe to me is a single straight edge paired with a single point, as opposed to the more blunt-ended sheepsfoot or a tanto with two edges and two points. The spine shape, acuteness of the point, and the grind can vary but I'd still call them wharncliffes. I'm sure there are many who would disagree but eventually we're just getting into semantics.

I still like the whanto. I'm making that a thing.

Very cool. I thought it was an Emerson at first glance.

Thank you. I'm a big fan of Hinderer's wharnies, this one is obviously mimicking the form of the blade but I did change the length and the angle of the bevel to the handle's axis because felt more comfortable to work.
Originally the "wave" was supposed to have disk with space underneath for wave opening, but the steel was so tough that the screw broke and we dropped this option...I still have the hole with the broken screw in it
on the top of the wave. :cool:
Came up very nice tool and I was using it for years.

One of a few modified wharnies in the drawer. Slashed open a bunch of boxes a bathroom light fixture came in, and then hung it. And it even lights up when I turn the switch on. That’s a Kershaw Launch 11, that just happened to be near by.

1688A7F0-3C75-4709-84FD-A79ADF3A5D98.jpeg

I have a Malibu with the reverse tanto, it's flat ground unfortunately. I would prefer a hollow grind, however I can't really knock it's flat grind, it's decent behind the edge and one hell of a knife. You got me curious about maybe trading mine for a wharncliffe if they were hollow ground, however Protechs site says they're also flat ground 🙁. Nothing wrong with a flat grind, I just prefer hollow.

I have a Malibu with the reverse tanto, it's flat ground unfortunately. I would prefer a hollow grind, however I can't really knock it's flat grind, it's decent behind the edge and one hell of a knife. You got me curious about maybe trading mine for a wharncliffe if they were hollow ground, however Protechs site says they're also flat ground 🙁. Nothing wrong with a flat grind, I just prefer hollow.
Well apparently I'm smoking crack. Every reverse tanto I own/have owned has been hollow ground. I assumed that was the case. Not that I have owned many. I like having a straightish edge but still having a point.

I prefer a FFG or hollow grind too.

Well apparently I'm smoking crack. Every reverse tanto I own/have owned has been hollow ground. I assumed that was the case. Not that I have owned many. I like having a straightish edge but still having a point.

I prefer a FFG or hollow grind too.
I agree my friend. If the knife has a straigh(ish) edge, then I prefer a nice pointy tip. However it's always a tight balance between a nice pointy tip and having some meat behind it as well. The Malibu's a sweet knife. I've been reaffirming my thoughts lately in that I really like aluminum scales.

I carry two warnies every single day for carpentry. Love the full flat edge for cleaning up boards, scraping, sharpening pencils, cutting tapes, papers, drywall, insulation, house\window wrap, cutting off shims, and so much more. I have never felt held back by the shape and like the pressure I can apply to the tip if need be, for sheet metal and other hard synthetic materials.
20221013_083813.jpg

Owen, there’s also the way it slices the outer jacket on Romex. Worth carrying just for that.

Parker

Ierno, probably they wouldn't. Probably I would use a David Mary quasi-sheepsfoot every day for the rest of my life if I lived in Hobbiton or something, but even still, those wraith dudes would probably make me still prefer my Ronin.

Back