what a jerk

v-6

well i made a knife and give it away, and told him it was 1095 and every time he used it to put a little oil on it when he was done using it to keep the rust off.
well he brought it back and it was cover with heavy rust and wanted to know if i would sharpen it. after getting all over him i took of all the rust and sharpened it, as well as fix the case to.
some people just dont care, not even if its free.
done venting
vern

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Especially if it is free. There is a human mentality that things are worth what you pay for it. If it was free, well....

well i made a knife and give it away, and told him it was 1095 and every time he used it to put a little oil on it when he was done using it to keep the rust off.
well he brought it back and it was cover with heavy rust and wanted to know if i would sharpen it. after getting all over him i took of all the rust and sharpened it, as well as fix the case to.
some people just dont care, not even if its free.
done venting
vern

I can identify. Just for a moment though, step back and think for a sec........ if he didn't care, would he bring it back for "sharpening" (repair?), or was this really just the uninitiated that doesn't know how to care for a good knife?

Eigther way there's still a huge :mad: "AAAARRRRGHHH!!!" :mad: factor when seeing something that you've put a lot of yourself into neglected so. :(

Jim L.

btw, any pics of knife and case?

I made a forged moose antler friction folder for a friend as a way thanking him for a big favor. A few months later he brought it back to me to "re-sharpen". He had tried to himself on his bench grinder and completely destroyed the edge. I had to completely re-grind the edge. I have seen his bench grinder, both wheels are course and have never been dressed and had all sorts of melted "gunk" on them.

You guys could probably imagine what his bench grinder did to the edge. After that I only gave knives as gifts to people that know knives and how to take care of them.

V6, the guy just wanted it re-sharpened right , you warned him about the rest ..
:foot::D

like said
free stuff can be next to worthless to some guys.. and treated as such..

B Finnigan
tell your friend he's a big boob and to never ever sharpen a knife himself ever again or you'll be forced to dis-own him as a friend ;) :D

That sucks. I don't know if it would look right on the knife in question, but you might want to consider refinishing it with a mustard finish or something. The oxidizing on purpose helps protect it from more rust if it's not really well cared for.

-d

That reminds me, I need to get some oil for the knife you gave me. :) It's the first non-stainless knife I've ever owned.

I would have given him an option. I could either teach him how to properly maintain the knife or charge him to get it back in good working order.

ron

I've had the same problem.....

I gave a guy a knife, and he would always complain it was dull...sooo

I took it to the shop, gave it a hair popping edge handed it back to him after showing him how sharp it was.

2 days later i went to his house, and found the idiot DIGGING WORMS with it:mad:

I told him I'd never sharpen it again:grumpy:

I've had the same problem.....

I gave a guy a knife, and he would always complain it was dull...sooo

I took it to the shop, gave it a hair popping edge handed it back to him after showing him how sharp it was.

2 days later i went to his house, and found the idiot DIGGING WORMS with it:mad:

I told him I'd never sharpen it again:grumpy:

He wassssssssssss using it. I'm just happy when one of my knives is used. I've got some people that are afraid to use them. I made a knife for one guy, knowing it would probably be abused. I put 28 pins in the handle, figuring that he could never make the handle unusable. He's never used it, saying "It's too purty to use."

He wassssssssssss using it. I'm just happy when one of my knives is used. I've got some people that are afraid to use them. I made a knife for one guy, knowing it would probably be abused. I put 28 pins in the handle, figuring that he could never make the handle unusable. He's never used it, saying "It's too purty to use."

ya, digging worms with a folder:jerkit: there's useing, and then there's abusing

the jerk was too lazy to just walk around the corner into his garage and grab a shovel

ya, digging worms with a folder:jerkit: there's useing, and then there's abusing

the jerk was too lazy to just walk around the corner into his garage and grab a shovel

hey i do that

but then again i make what i use so i guess its "testing":D

I sold a skinner to a business associate. After a season of deer hunting, he wanted some training on the proper way to maintain the edge. The etched blade was in good shape, but very dull. He spent a few hours in my shop and was definitely interested in keeping his blade in good shape.
So what does he do? He takes the blade to the beach for a week of cutting bait. Clean it? Nah, just stick back in the leather sheath.
You can imagine what the 1095 blade looked like when he brought it back and asked "Can you fix it?" The sheath had salt and fish goo embedded in it and was a total loss. The answer was yes, if you are willing to pay for the "fix".
This is one guy that won't ever abuse a blade again after having to "pay for the "fix" and a new sheath.