1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What about a new Busse fillet knife

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Cteve, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Dear Jerry, I need a fillet knife. Any chance of doing a solid and creating a new blade for the fishermen?
    [​IMG]

Walll, duramax, lozdesign7 and 6 others like this.
  2. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    +1 !!! One in each of INFI, Elmax and Vanax ;):):)

lozdesign7 and Cteve like this.
  3. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I'm in! I'd love a filet knife! I could use it in the kitchen too as a boning knife!

I'm sure the reason there haven't been more runs has to do with lack of corrosion resistance as anything (including "stainless" steel) left unprotected on a boat for any length of time will surely rust to bits and the Busse warranty would cover that.

As great as INFI is, it will stain if not cared for but maybe there can be a special run with forced patina? That might be indestructible!

My dad was a commercial fisherman my whole life and owned a seafood market for a few years. All the fish cutters in the back used carbon steel (1095 I believe) but the guys cutting the stuff for the customers got stainless because customers would complain about the guys using "old rusty" knives. :D:D:D

4. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Interesting gedankenexperiment. What is the best steel for a thin and flexible filet knife?

5. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I know Busse's made fillet knives in the past, but a long, thin, flexible blade doesn't seem to fit in Busse's bombproof wheelhouse.

What's wrong with a nice $12 Dexter-Russell?

YMMV, of course.

HwangJino likes this.
  6. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Alas, maybe you are right and I see your point, Busse can make every possible type of knife more awesome then the last guy but maybe just maybe this...this has stumped them , This must be the reason cause yeah a bomb proof fillet knife is just what I need. ;)

7. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    How about this? Stolen from Knife Hunter

[​IMG]

HwangJino, lozdesign7 and Cteve like this.
  8. lex2006

lex2006 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2014
    A very rare Busse fillet knife sold here last week ,

9. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Yes, I saw that. Awesome. It was the medium size one. I missed that unfortunately but better yet I would love something in a 8"- 9" blade. Something that has some flex but also some backbone to rip through those rib bones. And something my kids, kids can one day use....vs the typical made in China or disposable ones found now.

10. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Another pick of this hog,
    Theres a hole in the market dear Liza, dear Liza....
    [​IMG]like a fishing lure, maybe we just need to make enough noise for Jerry and his team to hear and see....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    lex2006 and uGAshooter like this.
  11. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Great catch!:):thumbsup:

Cteve likes this.
  12. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    The only easily-obtainable, decent "high-end" filet knife I am aware of is the North Arm Knives "Kermode". Made in Canada of S35VN. They make a 6" and a 9". I'll not link it, but easy enough to find.

Nice fish Cteve! Sauger?

Cteve likes this.
  13. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    I would like to see something like the "Bubba Blade" 9" with tapered flex profile!!!I have a Bubba Blade I've used on Tuna probably over kill for white bass and crappie:rolleyes:

WatermanChris likes this.
  14. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    Thanks! That's a walleye from lake Winnipeg.

15. freehouse32

freehouse32

Sep 7, 2016
    I too would love a nice Busse filet knife to put through the paces!!! I just can't spend big bucks on a previously released collector fillet knife only to turn around and actually use it!

As of now, White River released some nice stop up fillet knives at shot 2019 that should be hitting the market soon.

16. lozdesign7

lozdesign7 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2011
    I would definitely be all over a Busse fillet like it was a cupcake.

FK.

RobStanley and Cteve like this.