What about a new Busse fillet knife

Dear Jerry, I need a fillet knife. Any chance of doing a solid and creating a new blade for the fishermen?
3blBFvl.jpg

I'm in! I'd love a filet knife! I could use it in the kitchen too as a boning knife!

I'm sure the reason there haven't been more runs has to do with lack of corrosion resistance as anything (including "stainless" steel) left unprotected on a boat for any length of time will surely rust to bits and the Busse warranty would cover that.

As great as INFI is, it will stain if not cared for but maybe there can be a special run with forced patina? That might be indestructible!

My dad was a commercial fisherman my whole life and owned a seafood market for a few years. All the fish cutters in the back used carbon steel (1095 I believe) but the guys cutting the stuff for the customers got stainless because customers would complain about the guys using "old rusty" knives. :D:D:D

Interesting gedankenexperiment. What is the best steel for a thin and flexible filet knife?

I know Busse's made fillet knives in the past, but a long, thin, flexible blade doesn't seem to fit in Busse's bombproof wheelhouse.

What's wrong with a nice $12 Dexter-Russell?

YMMV, of course.

Alas, maybe you are right and I see your point, Busse can make every possible type of knife more awesome then the last guy but maybe just maybe this...this has stumped them , This must be the reason cause yeah a bomb proof fillet knife is just what I need. ;)

Yes, I saw that. Awesome. It was the medium size one. I missed that unfortunately but better yet I would love something in a 8"- 9" blade. Something that has some flex but also some backbone to rip through those rib bones. And something my kids, kids can one day use....vs the typical made in China or disposable ones found now.

Another pick of this hog,
Theres a hole in the market dear Liza, dear Liza....
8ifXvJi.jpg
like a fishing lure, maybe we just need to make enough noise for Jerry and his team to hear and see....

Last edited:
The only easily-obtainable, decent "high-end" filet knife I am aware of is the North Arm Knives "Kermode". Made in Canada of S35VN. They make a 6" and a 9". I'll not link it, but easy enough to find.

Nice fish Cteve! Sauger?

I would like to see something like the "Bubba Blade" 9" with tapered flex profile!!!I have a Bubba Blade I've used on Tuna probably over kill for white bass and crappie:rolleyes:

The only easily-obtainable, decent "high-end" filet knife I am aware of is the North Arm Knives "Kermode". Made in Canada of S35VN. They make a 6" and a 9". I'll not link it, but easy enough to find.

Nice fish Cteve! Sauger?
Thanks! That's a walleye from lake Winnipeg.

I too would love a nice Busse filet knife to put through the paces!!! I just can't spend big bucks on a previously released collector fillet knife only to turn around and actually use it!

As of now, White River released some nice stop up fillet knives at shot 2019 that should be hitting the market soon.

Back