1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic What about you?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Shedonyourlight, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Shedonyourlight

Shedonyourlight

Jun 12, 2018
    I am one of those who always possess things in pairs, so when it comes to carrying knives, more often than not, I will have a spare somewhere with me.

It is not a matter of being paranoid but I am a firm believer in having a back-up to accommodate all unexpected situations.

So even though there is the main knife, there will always be the second one somewhere.

What about you?

2. Mikel_24

Mikel_24

Sep 19, 2007
    What do you mean when you say SOMEWHERE? Because in my shop I have several cutting implements, in my van there are several folders and fixed blades, and on me... well, usually a single knife can get me through the day. Granted my daily tasks for my knives at the office are peeling oranges, opening a cookies box and the ocasional hard use staple removal. And scaring my cooworkers when I carry something unusual as an Emerson or Spyderco Military.

And that's about it.

3. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    I’m a little different about that. I carry a Wenger Esquire (their version of the Vic Classic) every day, as well as a main folder. The Esquire is my tape breaker, gunk scraper, etc. It gets all of the sticky jobs. The other knife gets the real cutting jobs— cardboard, wood, whatever.

That’s my pocket situation.

I definitely believe in having spares ready to go at home. I have a Vic Classic waiting in case I lose the Esquire, and I have 8 folders in what’s left of my collection.

4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Spares, backups, multiple edc knives carried.... I generally carry two knives with me. The most often complement is a Vic SAK and a modern. Lately the modern has been a Steel Will Mini Cutjack in M390 which I really like. If I only have one with me, it will usually be the SAK. I don't loose any sleep or get all neurotic if I leave my modern at home, but feel something is missing if I don't have the SAK in my pocket.

The only backups I have are for my favored SAKs, or at least intentionally own. In particular my current favorite was discontinued and I bought a number of them when I found out that they were not going to be offered by Vic. I kind of like having a brand new spare for a knife that I depend a great deal on to be there when I need to use a knife. I don't collect knives. I have a number of GEC slip joints on the same frame, but are dressed out differently.

I always or almost always keep the knives stored in the same location (pockets), so I know precisely where to find them. There is no "somewhere" to it.

RBid likes this.
  5. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    I keep one knife in my pocket. I might have a spare one in a bag or in the car, but rarely carry two on me.

b00n likes this.
  6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Working, I will almost always have a couple of more specialized blades in my work bag that stays in the vehicle. I keep a fully serrated Endura and a couple CRKT Razels there.

7. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    Yes always two. A modern tactical type folder and usually a traditional stockman or other traditional knife 8A559650-6092-4F97-BA51-BACA3EF79DC3.jpeg

strategy9 and Superdave1 like this.
  8. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    I'm a single blade type of guy(unless the pattern has more than one of course). I very rarely carry more than one folding knife on a day to day basis.

When I know I'll be needing a fixed blade I still tend to take a folder along. That's usually the only time I have 2 different knives on me, though.

Krav likes this.
  9. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I usually have 2...
    Almost always modern locking folder
    Paired with either a traditional or a fixed blade, depending on the days tasks ahead... sometimes I carry all three, and there is always a spare in my car...

Example, today just hanging around the house in basketball shorts, my lightweight combo;

[​IMG]
    Which is technically 5 blades...

One of the main reason I like multi-bladed traditionals, same theory, just in case (one breaks), I have a backup.

BigKurtHaze and User27 like this.
  10. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    I always have a modern folder clipped in pocket and a victorinox classic in bottom of same pocket.

RBid likes this.
  11. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    I used to carry 2-3 on me - even carried as many as 4 at one point, with a left carry, right carry, fixed blade, and keychain knife - but I almost always just carry one knife these days. For all my theorycrafting and internal justifying for carrying multiple knives, I have only really ever needed one.

I could maybe see talking myself back into carrying a lefty knife in case I’m in the incredibly unlikely situation of immediately needing a cutting tool and also having my right hand occupied, but, that really is such an outlier possibility that it would make just as much sense for me to start carrying Elk repellant in downtown Tulsa.

AF likes this.
  12. SteelJunkee

SteelJunkee

May 6, 2018
    One fixed, one folder, Always.

Edit: except in the shower.

klute and Charlie Mike like this.
  13. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Same here, one knife is enough. Although I carry just at work, so I have some cutting tool most likely within a 100 feet of me. But as a carry around knife, one is enough, especially with all that other stuff I am already carrying (2 Sets of Keys, Phone, Wallet, Pen, Flashlight, Screwdriver, Set of Allen Keys, Small Wrench, Hanky) I don't need more stuff.

unwisefool likes this.
  14. RBid

RBid

Apr 6, 2014
    I have a twin!

15. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    That's what the Elks WANT you to think. Nobody expects the Elk Apocalypse.....

GB940Rookie likes this.
  16. ourgon

ourgon

Feb 27, 2013
    Folder + very often Wenger SAK in other pocket or in backpack.

Sometimes I carry folder and SAK in pockets and 2-3 knives in backpack just in case if my house will be destroyed by meteorite so I need all my favourite knives to be with me.

RBid likes this.
  17. MeritedEdge

MeritedEdge

Jan 3, 2018
    I carry 2 blades with me.
    1 is attached to my leatherman.

18. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Word. Nobody’s buying that “noble monarch of the forest” crap. :rolleyes::)

I usually carry just one. I have blades in my truck, every backpack, almost every room in the house and I’m surrounded by cutting tools at work.

BitingSarcasm likes this.
  19. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I normally only carry one knife. Usually a modern folder with a clip. Gotta have a clip. Sometimes I'll have a multi-tool on my belt plus a folder but not very often. A fixed blade may be worn instead of a folder but usually only when the planets are in perfect alignment or I'm camping.

October of last year was a bad time for where I live. Napa and Sonoma counties suffered from huge fires and very high winds. Many people lost all they had. Seeing someone having lunch or dinner in their nightclothes because they have lost everything is something you don't easily forget.

I think I carried a fixed blade and a multi-tool during some of that. I do remember packing a bug out bag with a fixed blade in it.

Because of what happened, I now have a small pouch in the Jeep that I use as an extended EDC. It contains a notepad, pencil, small flashlight, Gerber multi-tool, band-aids, alcohol prep pads, scalpel, scissors, lighter, extra power cord for the cell phone, a cleaning cloth for my eyewear, and an Alox SAK. I don't think I need to carry more than one knife in my pocket.

22-rimfire likes this.
  20. TravisL

TravisL Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

May 15, 2016
    I carry a folding knife and a Leatherman for work. Weekends I just carry one knife.