What are BFs Thoughts On GERBER Knives? Good, Average or Trash

So quite a while Gerber has been a respectable, and in many cases, affordable solid quality knife. I don't know that I would have ever called them top shelf but certainly mid-shelf stuff.

I've been skimming through some of the posts on here and other forums and the consensus on Gerber knives is that there is no consensus.

Almost seems like the general opinion of Gerber has fluctuated based on model years.

So here's my question, Bear Grylls knives aside, what do you guys think of some of the newer offerings from Gerber in the folding, lock-blade, flipper and fixed blade knives. I guess by recent generations I mean the last 3 years till present day.

Really interested in hearing your thoughts and your reasons for or against these knives.

P.S. One of the reasons I'm asking is because my kid sister has her eye on a small Gerber Spring Assisted knife but I'm also just curious to hear others opinions.

TBH most of the stuff put out nowadays are terrible. they have a hidden gem every now and then in recent yrs. (s30v EZ out, 154cm Gator Drop point, ATS 34 applegate-fairbairn folder) but those are about it. after it was sold to Fiskars who moved production to china and focused the company at the masses instead of quality products, it was just shot to hell. If she hasnt had a knife before then yeah have at it, let here beat the sh!t out of it and abuse it, then when it breaks or gets lost, hopefully she'll learn to appreciate a better quality object.

Last edited:
I still like their Multi-tools though I prefer Leatherman still. I had a folder from many years back..made in USA...It was a good knife. Though recently I messed around with a newer para frame... made in china, the edge didnt hold worth a hoot. I think for a cheaper knife that you might loose or such (good for younger kids?) it would be fine. Beyond that I like other brands for better quality for similar price.

After it was sold to Fiskars who moved production to china and focused the company at the masses instead of quality products, it was just shot to hell.

You would happen to know how many years ago the sale to Fiskars was or whether Fiskars continued quality production for a period of time using the Gerber name? I guess I'm trying to gauge how far back in time I'd have to look to find something truly worthwhile.

Also yes, my sister doesn't have much experience with knives. I want her to carry one and have it handy in the car cause you never know when a life will depend on having that knife. Keeping that in mind I want her to have a knife that appeals to her because she'll be more likely to remember to take it with her on errands or going to work or what have you.

I think for a cheaper knife that you might loose or such (good for younger kids?) it would be fine. Beyond that I like other brands for better quality for similar price.

Sounds to me like what you're saying is that if I can find the same knife, my sis wants, on eBay for a really low price then it's worth it otherwise buy something better like Kershaw or CRKT for a bit more money.

As long as it can perform relatively minor tasks and retain any kind of edge then I'll be happy. Like I said though, I'm only going to get the knife for her if I can get it for a steal online.

Fiskars bought it out in '87, production of sub par goods, and the ruining of what used to be a great fanchise started early 90's. they wanted to pinch pennies and pinch them quick.

I'm old enough to remember when Gerber was out in front of the pack. This tends to color my assessment of them in shades of disappointment.

However, that being said, I have looked at what they offer and feel that, in general, for what they charge, I can get a better blade from other companies.

So Gerber is pretty much off my buy list.

Sounds to me like what you're saying is that if I can find the same knife, my sis wants, on eBay for a really low price then it's worth it otherwise buy something better like Kershaw or CRKT for a bit more money.

Get her a Kershaw Half Ton or DWO and skip the Gerbers altogether. If you want CRKT, try the Pazoda, Drifter or Lake 111. They can all be found at or less than $20 shipped and are from companies with excellent customer service.

Gerber's stuff isn't terrible in terms of build quality, but for the price you can almost always find something better. The knives I listed will keep an edge much better than anything at a comparable price from Gerber.

Fiskars bought it out in '87, production of sub par goods, and the ruining of what used to be a great fanchise started early 90's. they wanted to pinch pennies and pinch them quick.

I'm old enough to remember when Gerber was out in front of the pack. This tends to color my assessment of them in shades of disappointment.

However, that being said, I have looked at what they offer and feel that, in general, for what they charge, I can get a better blade from other companies.

So Gerber is pretty much off my buy list.

You know, that is really pretty sad to know. Gerber is not the only company to have gone the way of mass produced crapola.

Back in 1987 I was just a kid and collected knives that my dad bought at yard sales. He kept the ones that he needed or wanted and gave me the ones he had no use for. It wasn't an option to experience the original Gerber which is a real shame from the sound of things.

I have maybe a five-year-old USA EZ-OUT model, and it is very nice in my opinion. The steel takes and holds a good edge, the pocket clip has a detent in the handle to keep it from moving around like some SOG and Spyderco clips tend to do over time, and the rubber inserts in the plastic handle make it a very comfortable grip. The opening is also very smooth, especially for a lock-back, but I would like it slightly more if it didn't have a half-stop. From what I have seen lately, the EZ-OUT models are one of Gerber's most highly regarded inexpensive folder, and they just moved to (or maybe always have been) USA production. It's a good knife for thirty dollars. Super-light folder, and I think it is a contender with the Kershaw Skyline and the Buck Vantage Select.

One of my best friend's has carried an older USA Gerber Paraframe for five years, and he loves the weight, size, and ease of cleaning these knives have. Nowadays unfortunately they have moved production of this knife overseas, and I have read on forums (no first-hand experience) that the quality has declined.

Since I buy only USA-made knives to carry, I won't ever touch any other modern Gerber, but the Gerber EZ-OUT is a good knife for the price in my book. I don't have any personal experience with any of the others, though, and I don't believe everything I read on the internet, not even on this wonderful forum...

My vote is average because people seem to like paraframes for beater knives, the gerber clutch multitool, gerber gators, and I personally like the EZ-OUTs, but the rest of their line casts a trashy shadow in my non-first-hand opinion.

The only Gerber that has caught my eye in the last few years was the Crucial tool (which, by the way, looks cool but the driver bits are too short to be functional--gave it to a buddy who also thought it looked cool... :D)

Anyway, I'd love to see Gerber make a comeback...

Gerber's primary market nowadays seem to be in the $20 and under area. You get what you pay for.

They've been taking a few steps forward in recent years, but still have a way to go before they reclaim the title of a quality knife company. They are geared at the mass market, rather than the aficionado, and their designs and pricing tend to reflect that.

They've been taking a few steps forward in recent years, but still have a way to go before they reclaim the title of a quality knife company. They are geared at the mass market, rather than the aficionado, and their designs and pricing tend to reflect that.

Based on my buddies, they don't even market towards the discerning mass market. I know some mall ninjas that won't even touch Gerber

I'll touch a few of their knives, but not many. Their Finnish-made axes, a couple of their sliding saws, and a few of their higher end knives all seem pretty good for the money. And as much as I hate the gaudy decoration, the BG parang and plain-edged Ultimate aren't too shabby either. But I think there are only one or two other knives that I consider appealing. I'm not a fan of their multitools at all.

There are good gerbers and bad gerbers. I have a couple of their multi-tools, a Yari II, and a Big Rock that are great tools for the money. Lots of my buddies have some kind of gerber or S&W folder, and most of them are pretty awful. The Guardian I owned a couple years ago was probably the single most worthless piece of junk I've ever bought, as far as knives go.

I can't recall ever owning a Gerber folder, I do however own 2 of their fixed blades... The LMF and the Prodigy. My LMF is my truck knife so it is hardly used, but seems well built for what I need. The prodigy was my favorite pack knife. With a blade that was nearly as long and thick as the LMF, and half the weight I would take it everywhere. I dressed 3 deer with it before I sharpened it, and I only did that cuz I was bored. They score a thumbs up with me. Oh, and I say that the Prodigy WAS my favorite because I replaced it with another... still great blade for $35-40 bucks. Both of these are USA made, I dont buy knives from China. That's my expierince with Gerber... I was in your position last year (looking for a good first knife for my wife). Kershaw makes some good ones (USA made) but Smokey Mtn. Knife Works didn't have the one I wanted in pink (remember it's for the wife, and I didn't want anything with AO), anyways I was able to find a Buck that fit the bill. Great knives there too, just not the ones at Wal-Mart. I would say that just because it's her first knife give her something that will last, not just some cheapo because you can get away with it.

Ever since Fiskars bought them out its all been garbage except for a few here and there that are ok, basically u can do a lot better for your $$:thumbdn:

That we have around our house...
1) Freeman Folder
2) Hinderer rescue tool
3) mini fast draw
4) Grylls folding lockback
5) Evo
6) Profile Fixed Blade
The Freeman and the Hinderer are mine the rest are my sons, all of the above do what they are supposed to, have a decent (if not excellent) level of fit and finish, easy to sharpen (some hold edges better than others) and except for the rescue tool were pretty affordable. For sure Gerber makes some junk as do some of the other Cutlery companies, i believe it's painting with a broad brush when i hear people labeling everything gerber makes as junk. the mini fastdraw is a tough little knife, survived 2 weeks on the beach and in the ocean in OBX years ago, beat the snot out of it for a while then gave it to my son a few years back. Still works, looks like hell but works
regards
gene

I loved the Gerber lockbacks from the 70's, but haven't liked anything they have made in a long time. I have one of there multi tools from about 20 years ago, and it is made very well and tight. My friend bought one a few years ago and it was junk, the blades rattled when you shook it.

Back