What are good vintage brands?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by jeffbird, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jeffbird

jeffbird Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2011
    I keep reading about vintage axes being better.

What are the good brands and models for actual use, rather than collecting?

2. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Can't go wrong with a True Temper Flint Edge.

3. Woodcamo Nut

Woodcamo Nut

Apr 15, 2014
    Basically anything that says USA on it.

4. halfaxe

halfaxe

Nov 29, 2012
    Plumb, Kelly, True Temper, Mann, Collins are the most common. Collins have newer axes that aren't up to the vintage axes so you have to be careful there. Some of the best ones are from smaller companies of which there were hundreds in N. America.

5. SirJames

SirJames

May 17, 2002
    One should concider that axe designs changed once people got to North America because the land was largely undeveloped compared to the old world. I still like Swedish companies though.

Collins are made in Mexico, same as "made in China" as far as I am concerned but I could be wrong.

6. olybears57

olybears57

Aug 25, 2013
    Sir James, halfaxe was referring to vintage collins, not contemporary.

7. Woodcamo Nut

Woodcamo Nut

Apr 15, 2014
    new Collins = no good, Hecho en Mexico.

old Collins = good axe, made in USA.

any old vintage USA tools that you could find, don't pass them up if the price is right. they need to be preserved because there is not many USA made tools being manufactured anymore.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  8. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm doing my part............. :D

9. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Ya, it would be easier to come up with brands to avoid. And even at that they are so much better than anything you can get at the local hard ware store its just hard to go to wrong.

10. Axe Master '94

Axe Master '94

Sep 24, 2014
    Norlund, Rixford, Warren/Sager... Just adding to the list

11. Woodcamo Nut

Woodcamo Nut

Apr 15, 2014
    Me too!:thumbup:

12. Woodcamo Nut

Woodcamo Nut

Apr 15, 2014
    I don't even think there's 10 companies to count on my 10 fingers that currentlly manufacture axes in the U.S., if I'm not mistaken.

13. jeffbird

jeffbird Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Ok, bought a Kelly Flint Edge that appears to be in very nice condition.

Where would the group recommend for buying a handle?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  14. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Are you skilled at shaping handles and hanging axes? If not then order from House Handle. They are pretty good as delivered.

15. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    Also, once you develop your eye, you will be able to pick out unmarked, "no name" axes that are obviously high quality and obviously made by Kelly or Collins or...

16. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    In the vintage axe world, Kelly are the most common, closely followed by Collins and Plumb. Warren axes are of also good quality.

Warren Axe and Tool Co Sager line was probably the most widely used back in the logging hey day. An old Plumb racing axe would also be top notch.

17. Operator1975

Operator1975

Sep 24, 2010
    In the vintage axe world, Kelly are the most common, closely followed by Collins and Plumb. Warren axes are of also good quality.

Warren Axe and Tool Co Sager line was probably the most widely used back in the logging hey day. An old Plumb racing axe would also be top notch.