Recommendation? What are some good light weight fixed blades?

Buck 684 is a lot of bang for the buck. Get it? Just needs a sheath and it does real good.

Small and slicey is what I do:

ipLXXdb.jpg

bRrBJFp.jpg

4vv0h4r.jpg

8MdgrqC.jpg

And practical leather too:

ldJeSAH.jpg

Qk827RY.jpg

G9Afj4h.jpg

Gets used:

nfWgrLo.jpg

zRX3yrF.jpg

5FCjyfB.jpg

Ya get the idea.
The second knife from the top looks perfect for me. You are very talented. Thanks for sharing.

One of my favorites is the Frontier valley from LT Wright or Battlehorse knives. And the Brisa is a good knife too.

I originally deleted my comment because this thread was posted in the traditional knives section, but it appears that people are recommending modern knives anyway.

UG Tools TiNy. They weigh about the same as a Mora companion. 80g. They also have them in Magnacut.

Horsewright Horsewright is really the way to go. He has many carry options (belt: strong side, cross draw, hip, small small of back, boot top/pocket) and several blade designs that cover a variety of tasks. Handle slabs vary from ordinary to extraordinary to WOW. Leatherwork is outstanding.

Zieg

Esee Izula

I agree with the Izula- great knife.

The Izula us a great tool . . . but . . . I wouldn't call it "thin" or very slicey. It may cut some stuff really well, but it's 0.156" thick at the spine (5/32") with a blade that's not tall enough to have an edge that's very thin without a hollow grind. When I read light and slices well, I'm thinking 3/32" thick at the spine or thinner.

Another good traditional option ( this is the porch after all) is the green river knives.
I really like 2212 " sheath knife "
20230508_093341.jpg

Here's a complete 2212 as they come from Russell ( mine was a bare kit blade from Jantz )
10311__22199__00409 (1).jpg
The 4215 " fishing/ hunting knife " is better looking if you're not buying just a blade to handle yourself.
s-l400 (7).jpg
each is well under $30, but you don't get a sheath.
You can get the 4215 for almost $30 with a sheath, but it's more of a butchers / commercial fisherman's type sheath that isn't really something you'd want for a general purpose belt knife.

There are readily available sheaths that fit them which are pretty inexpensive.

Last edited:
The Izula us a great tool . . . but . . . I wouldn't call it "thin" or very slicey. It may cut some stuff really well, but it's 0.156" thick at the spine (5/32") with a blade that's not tall enough to have an edge that's very thin without a hollow grind. When I read light and slices well, I'm thinking 3/32" thick at the spine or thinner.
Agree 100%.

Horsewright Horsewright is really the way to go. He has many carry options (belt: strong side, cross draw, hip, small small of back, boot top/pocket) and several blade designs that cover a variety of tasks. Handle slabs vary from ordinary to extraordinary to WOW. Leatherwork is outstanding.

Zieg
Dave, is the third pic the "Cowboy Toothpick"?

Zieg
Thank you sir for the kind words!

Yes that is a Cowboy Toothpick. Making up three or four right now but here's some others:

Elk:

J9Ecpxg.jpg

Rosewood:

6j2tvpr.jpg

Buckeye Burl:

Z7IvwH6.jpg

Ramshorn:

y6X7SjS.jpg

Dyed and stabilized Box Elder:

nTOdZeY.jpg

Sheephorn:

kLLUfqn.jpg

I think the sheath for this model Is the Horizontal (crossdraw):

FrzXC9A.jpg

ldJeSAH.jpg

Or the Slotted Sheath (worn under the belt and wearable 360 degrees on the belt):

G9Afj4h.jpg

XRdLHZV.jpg

Kinda a funny story of the development of this design. I came up with it as a design to get one more blade from a sheet of steel, either AEB-L stainless at 62-63RC or 26C3 high carbon clay coated steel for a working hamon at 63-64RC. So at first I'd make one now and then as I could fit it in on a sheet. The design has become so popular I make em now on purpose and will make several at a time.

Back