What are some of the things you’ve learned from Blade Forums?

I came here as a result of Cold Steel's own forum shutting down, and then stayed in the CS subforum for quite a while before venturing out to other areas like W&C. As a result of venturing out, I have bought my first custom knives ever (from CPK), and have another in the works (from Shannon Steel Labs).

Have learned there's a lot more out there than you might think, whether it's knives, guns, beer, whisky, cigars, etc.

Have also learned that in a world that just gets crazier and crazier, you can still find great people that are welcoming and generous to complete strangers, on the way to becoming friends. Have only met one other forum member in person so far, but hoping to meet many more.

Last edited:
before BF, I wasn't really aware that HT makes much difference. I knew makers heated the steel, but I didn't realize it is almost a science unto itself.

Back when I started collectin’ and usin’ knives, when we moved from knapped flint and obsidian to high carbon steel, there wasn’t much choice in heat treat or blade steel unless you went full blown custom.

Production knives tended to be on the softer side makin’ them easier to put and keep an edge on. Most people didn’t even have the equipment or skill needed to maintain a freehand edge on the premium steels the custom makers used.

It was here they learned what they needed and the skills necessary to work with the higher end blades.

I came to BF with an Ontario pilot’s knife, a Buck 112, an Imperial slip joint and a Nortons 2 sided oilstone. 17 years and a hundred knives later...

You know if I had a nickel for everyone who came into to BF and started their story that way ... we’ll id have a lot more knives that’s for sure. :D ;)

I’d like to thank you folks for some really great replies.

BFC is many places to many people, resource site, gathering place, market place and contact point for the custom makers blade/sword smith.

It’s a school and clearinghouse for the most up to date, cutting edge,(pun intended) information and techniques involving anything with a point or cutting edge.

Believe it or not, for some it’s also their therapist, clergy, doctor, lawyer and social circle. :)

For me it’s all these things. I’ve made many good friends through this forum and I’ve met many wonderful people and learned an immeasurable amount of knowledge from them in regards to all pointy and sharp things we live so much.

I was lurking on this site since December 1998. Believe it or not, I came here looking for the best knife for home defense. (LOL at myself!) I came to realize I didn't need a knife for that job. I was also personally told as a young pup that the best knife for home defense is a 12ga shotgun - by the man himself, Jerry Fisk.

What have I learned? Sheesh, far too much to put into words. I learn new things on here all the time. I went to a gun show yesterday and knew what every (non-junk) knife there was, what they were made of, value, stories behind some of the designs, etc. In other words, I’m now a MUCH more informed and selective collector.

Great post, Ted. :thumbsup:

Blade Forums has introduced me to:

1) fine hand made knife makers
2) greater understanding about the numerous factors affecting individual blade performance (stock thickness, primary geometry, edge bevel and thickness behind the edge, the difference between toothy and polished edges, handle types and shapes, etc)
3)greater refinement via the experience of others, in regards to sharpening - both free hand and with jigs/clamp type set ups
4) forum participation etiquette
5) using pictures to enhance post participation or increase specificity in a post (at times when words might be only so useful...)

There is more I have learned, and more to come, too, I am certain.

Thank you BF and it's contributing members.

In the beginning there were a lot of well known collectors, as well as blade-smiths and owners/CEOs of many of the bigger knife companies. There was a ton of valuable information available.

Still true, no?

I've entered more "likes" on this thread than any other because I think a lot of the reasons why I'm here have already been expressed by others.

One of the most civil (with a few outliers:oops:) and welcoming forums that I've been on. Less chummy and much more diverse than most.

It seems to have the momentum, enthusiasm and administration (let's not forget that) that should keep it going for a long, long time.

I've been here a while, gotten into a few very heated debates, and been told I was wrong (and worse) many times. Obviously I'm more conscious of that now, with just over a decade more life experience.
Things I have learned from BF:
Even guys who should be able to stand on their accomplishments can let their ego take over and try to stand on their name instead. Guys that might be the top of their game otherwise can ruin everything by being shady or making sure "they get their's" instead of looking after the community.
A difference of opinion doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong. Make sure you are having the same debate, maybe you are both wrong.
Trying to save people from themselves is often a lost cause, but it was done for me, intended or not.
Chasing the "best" knife is an exercise in disappointment, but being happy with a knife that does what you need it to do is well possible and satisfying.
Everyone has their own goals, and while I may not see the value in some of them, I don't need to make a stink over it.

I've learned a lot about what I like in a knife because I've had so many suggestions along the lines of "If you liked this about that knife, you really need to get your hands on this other knife" Without BF I would have not known which "latest and greatest" were worth their salt, and which were hype.

Practical things I've learned:
How to clean up and restore SAKs
What the heck a patina is good for, and where its limits stop.
how to store, care and feed my knives
how to not break stuff
how to have nice things without spending over my budget.

Still true, no?

I've entered more "likes" on this thread than any other because I think a lot of the reasons why I'm here have already been expressed by others.

One of the most civil (with a few outliers:oops:) and welcoming forums that I've been on. Less chummy and much more diverse than most.

It seems to have the momentum, enthusiasm and administration (let's not forget that) that should keep it going for a long, long time.

Not like it was

There was a time when the best makers and some whale collectors played here

I wish it would come back

Instagram is the new platform most makers have gravitated too

Last edited:
I've learned there's people even more obsessed with knives than me, lol!

Not in a bad way either. I'm impressed with all the folks that have taken things like metallurgy and sharpening to mad scientist levels and beyond :)

Most discussions about Bark River knives and Mike Stewart will inevitably result in a flame war with the possibility of said conversation ending up in W & C. :)

Being sorta late to learn computer skills , I was actually perfectly happy carrying the same Buck 110 for almost 20 years until after so many sharpings the blade almost resembled an ice pick at one point in my life. After becoming a member here lets just say, I've evolved.:)

oh, I also learned that I take crummy photographs...

That can be addressed here too, there’s a photography subforum here geared towards knife photography. There are many knowledge eable people here with varying degrees of photography skills. Pretty much anything you want to know about representing a bladed object on just about any medium, there’s someone to help you achieve that.

There are more than a few professional photographers who make a living shooting knives that hang out here.

I wasn't really satisfied with the knife discussions on the gun forums
In a way that is what brought me here.
I kept trying to talk knives with the woodworking people. Heck we spent pages and pages talking about sharpening and edge geometry. When I tossed out knife comments it was like suggesting nipple piercing in a nunnery.

I was interested in better steel also, mostly it was O1 and fairly soft A2 for the "high end" woodworking edge tools. I just knew there were wilder skies than these. Since then the wood tool makers dudes have caught up a bit.

Not to put down the high end Japanese tools but they don't fit in the hand planes I was using. I do Love the great, great, great Japanese chisels ! ! ! A whole other world to be sure.

Last edited:
Bladeforums is a great place with a seemingly endless supply of good information and even better people. Browsing the forums has been a part of my daily routine for many years.
I have learned about different blade steels and grinds. I have learned about the importance of heat treat and matching the right knife to the right job and application. I’ve learned about different styles of knives and different locks on folders and I’ve been exposed to some really great knife companies.
I’ve learned that bigger isn’t necessarily better and that what I want and what I need often aren’t anywhere close to the same thing. I’ve learned that for my daily needs a Swiss Army knife is really hard to beat and that it’s true for many others as well.

Bladeforums turned me into a blade snob!!
Before BF I was happy with my Outdoor Edge folder and an Army KaBar. Now my pinkies are raised when I use my babies. :D Like Thurston Howell III

I have an annoying habit of becoming obsessed with whatever I have an interest in.
With me I am obsessed with (but not always a master of :rolleyes:) a few interests like sharpening (sharpening any edge tool) and metal (from silver brazing alloys to high alloy steel) and cutting metal. Welding and brazing.

Then I keep looking for little niches in the world where I can keep fooling with those interests. Knives is certainly one of them.

In fact user pocket knives is one area that I find I can relax and not get too perfectionist about.
If I scratch a blade while sharpening . . . well . . . it gets scratched up from use so no big deal.
If I mod a blade and don't get around to refining the finish on the main grind to a consistent grit finish . . . well . . . no big deal, it still cuts like I want it to and besides the edge is polished so that's what I like ;) :rolleyes:. I can take my FrankenKnife out of my pocket, use it, look at the mirror like edge on that ugly knife and be just pleased as hell; as long as it performs like I like it to otherwise back to the grind grind.

If the ergos are there and the grind is there then ugly is ok because it gets dinged in use anyway. I'm talking about the handle or the rest of the blade finish.

Not the edge though; totally pisses me off if I chip or ding the edge; I can't stand that !

Last edited:
.... I’ve learned that bigger isn’t necessarily better..... I’ve learned that for my daily needs a Swiss Army knife is really hard to beat and that it’s true for many others as well.
Ain't that the truth!

I had to have a knife that was at least 4 inches closed. That slowly changed and now I'm down to functional size (3.3") for my routine needs. If everyone's need, use, and preferences evolved like mine, a lot of knife companies would go out of business.

Back