What are the advantages to a sheep's foot blade.

Well, technically more of a...uhhhhhh...bifecta??? :confused: Not really deal spotting there as it's not pointing to a retailer, but rather a manufacturer. ;):D

Answering a question from 2004 is a bit weird.
If you want the topic revived, start a new thread and let this one rest in peace.

NecroThread.jpg

This thread is from 2004. I imagine by now he has tried it or decided against it.

Further answers/discussion are probably not useful to the OP for this reason, but we post on a forum for the benefit of other readers too. I have been collecting knives for a very long time but I'm relatively new to this forum. It takes more time than I have available each day just to keep up with the new posts, much less go back and read stuff from years past. I find it interesting to be able to read opinions from years ago and compare to my opinions of today. I have come to the same opinion of the sheepsfoot, that it is good for cutting rope and such. I have decided that for my typical use I am frequently needing to use the point of my blade so for my EDC I typically pick something with a keen point. The closest I come to a sheepsfoot is my Kershaw Leek, and it has a pretty keen point. I am a big Benchmade fan but I don't have any interest in their styles that are close to a sheepsfoot, or reverse Tanto, or whatever they have been called.

Mr. K, please don't take this as any criticism. I just think there is more audience for our discussion than just the OP.

Further answers/discussion are probably not useful to the OP for this reason, but we post on a forum for the benefit of other readers too. I have been collecting knives for a very long time but I'm relatively new to this forum. It takes more time than I have available each day just to keep up with the new posts, much less go back and read stuff from years past. I find it interesting to be able to read opinions from years ago and compare to my opinions of today. I have come to the same opinion of the sheepsfoot, that it is good for cutting rope and such. I have decided that for my typical use I am frequently needing to use the point of my blade so for my EDC I typically pick something with a keen point. The closest I come to a sheepsfoot is my Kershaw Leek, and it has a pretty keen point. I am a big Benchmade fan but I don't have any interest in their styles that are close to a sheepsfoot, or reverse Tanto, or whatever they have been called.

Mr. K, please don't take this as any criticism. I just think there is more audience for our discussion than just the OP.

The wharncliffe would be a good alternative to the sheepsfoot for you then. Your Leek is a modified one.

Not sure if it's an 'official' blade style, but I've heard & seen something that was called a 'Lambs foot'. It was basically the same as a Sheeps foot but had more of a gentle curve at the end. I'd called it a modified or blundt Wharncliff. Anybody else heard or seen one ?

a blunt end so it's safer and less prone to breakage. also much easier to sharpen. the edge end with the blunt tip gives you a tip-slice angle as good as a box cutter. really a good utility knife.

The edge is straight all the way which is sometimes desirable . Suitable for having a finger on the nice curved down back for pushing. :)

I know this is an ancient thread that has been revived somewhat but I just have to add in real quick:

I have a Mini-Grip 555 and if the original purpose of the Lamb's Foot blade shape is to allow cutting while removing the risk of accidental stabbing then the 555 fails because I find the point to be very stabby! In fact my friend stabbed into his hand once with one. Also I find that as soon as the 555 does get it's point into something it immediately starts pushing itself into a downward cut because of the immediately thick spine and slope of it as well.

That said, I love mine!

Again, sorry to toss in my .02 but I just had to, I'm flicking my 555 open and closed as I've been reading all of this!!

I know this is an ancient thread that has been revived somewhat but I just have to add in real quick:

I have a Mini-Grip 555 and if the original purpose of the Lamb's Foot blade shape is to allow cutting while removing the risk of accidental stabbing then the 555 fails because I find the point to be very stabby! In fact my friend stabbed into his hand once with one. Also I find that as soon as the 555 does get it's point into something it immediately starts pushing itself into a downward cut because of the immediately thick spine and slope of it as well.

That said, I love mine!

Again, sorry to toss in my .02 but I just had to, I'm flicking my 555 open and closed as I've been reading all of this!!

The Benchmade you refer to is a modified sheepsfoot. That is to say that it does not meet the strict definition for the blade pattern, but it is the pattern that it bears the strongest relation to. You'll note that the Benchmade features a belly rather than a straight edge, and as a result it presents a point that, while rounded compared to many other knives, is nonetheless capable of puncturing things. :)

Necro thread about wharncliffes?! Yeah, my two cents goes in.

In addition to all the other attributes above, it's also good for those who have tendonitis, because starting the cut with the point is easier on the wrist!

So what would you call the Razel? Is it a modified wharncliffe, or is it different enough to merit it's own sub-class of blade shape? I guess most of us know what somebody is talking about when they say "Razel" blade, I'm just wondering what everybody thinks.

Necro thread about wharncliffes?! Yeah, my two cents goes in.

In addition to all the other attributes above, it's also good for those who have tendonitis, because starting the cut with the point is easier on the wrist!

So what would you call the Razel? Is it a modified wharncliffe, or is it different enough to merit it's own sub-class of blade shape? I guess most of us know what somebody is talking about when they say "Razel" blade, I'm just wondering what everybody thinks.

I would all that class of blade a "chisel knife." Mora, Pro Tool, and Lee Valley have variants as well.

This thread is from 2004. I imagine by now he has tried it or decided against it.

Probably. But the reason for having a forum is not just for the benefit of the original poster. If that were the case, replies to him would be sent in the form of private messages.

In addition to answering an original posters question, the purpose of a forum format is to make the answer public to all future parties interested in the same topic or question.

For instance, I was just wondering the same thing the originator of this post was wondering 8 years ago. I'm glad I found this discussion. In the meantime, somebody else may wish to contribute some information or relate their experience with a sheepsfoot blade.

As far as starting a new thread, there is an obvious advantage in having the information on single topic in a single location; so a new thread is usually suboptimal.

I hope we can get back on track now, and eliminate further distracting replies that only serve to dilute the eternal usefulness of the topic discussion.

Like has been said before, the straight edge often gives great tip control (what little tip a SF has)
easy to sharpen
safe from accidental piercings.

IMO I wouldn't even call the BM version a modified sheepsfoot, it's not even close to a sheepsfoot blade in my mind, kinda grinds my gears that they call it that... lol Though I do actually really like that blade shape, whatever it is, and that would be the blade I got if I got a grip/mini grip.

Great info about sailing history in correlation with chisel tip / sheepsfoot / Wharncliffe.

13 year old thread. Still a top hit on Google and informative to boot.

Arise thread! To be revived a third time!

This thread has more lives than Jesus.

Back