What are the best features of the Paramilitary?

Tell me why this model generates a lot of excitement.
What is it that the PM has that gets you going?
What colors and Steel are you looking forward to getting?

I am thinking about getting one of these, but don't want basic black handle.
Thanks so much,
John

You're wondering about the Para 2 I assume.

Some of my favorite things about it are:

-Light weight. It does however still feel sturdy due to the liners.
-Blade size. Not too big, not too small, can choke up real easy on the choil which has jimping for added control.
-Ease of deployment. It opens as fast as the auto knives in my collection. I don't know how they do it but the blade absolutely flies out.
-Compression lock. Easy to close and strong, there is absolutely no blade play.
-Ergonomics. Feels great in the hand, many secure grip options.
-Price. You get a great knife for the price point. Its not too expensive that you'd let it rot in a safe.

Overall the Para2 is the best knife I've owned (including several that cost more) when you take all factors into consideration. (That being said I have yet to give it any hard use seeing as how I just received it, its just a remarkable blade)

Last edited:
I think it's the overall package deal---- ergos, compression lock, tip up/down carry options/ r/l hand carry, and the fact it is a heavy duty knife in such a lightweight package. My fav PM2 is the m390 version with blue g10. Perfection if you ask me.
1bc95836.jpg

The Compression Lock and the materials/quality you get at an amazing price point.

It's a bit smaller than I'd prefer, but I can live with it because of the great ergos. I'm getting won over on the compression lock, it feels secure, esp the tight, sticky ones. Open back construction. Good useable choil and thumb ramp (more of the ergos). Great steels in the sprint runs. Could have done without the lanyard hole and had better centering of the pocket clip at that end.

It's a bit smaller than I'd prefer...

That's exactly it for me. I like longer blades (around 4" is perfect for me) but the comfort of the PM2 just totally takes center stage. I also typically don't like jimping, but it's nice and comfortable on the Para-Military 2 (as it is on every Spyderco I've handled). Light weight, easy to clean, killer lock, ridiculously versatile blade shape...

Smoothness, ergos, good materials, nice looks, adjustable clip, lanyard hole(I tie lanyards on every knife), choil, jimping.

I have the Plain Black/Satin but have owned the Black/Black and Camo/Satin. I've liked all of them but kind of wish I still had the all black one and I don't even really like blade coatings.

The price on the Para 2 for what you get is spot on and the Para just makes an excellent EDC.

I really want to get my hands on the Blue/M390.

You're wondering about the Para 2 I assume.

Some of my favorite things about it are:

-Light weight. It does however still feel sturdy due to the liners.
-Blade size. Not too big, not too small, can choke up real easy on the choil which has jimping for added control.
-Ease of deployment. It opens as fast as the auto knives in my collection. I don't know how they do it but the blade absolutely flys out.
-Compression lock. Easy to close and strong, there is absolutely no blade play.
-Ergonomics. Feels great in the hand, many secure grip options.
-Price. You get a great knife for the price point. Its not too expensive that you'd let it rot in a safe.

+1 ... especially for the compression lock... rock solid coupled with the smooth deployment makes it just a joy to hold.

Smoothness, ergos, good materials, nice looks, adjustable clip, lanyard hole(I tie lanyards on every knife), choil, jimping.

+1

LB

Can't really add much more than what has already been said, other than to say that as an EDC knife, the full flat grind is just fantastic. It slices. It dices. It gets the job done.

Here's my 2 cents worth. I have owned 2, a black S30V plain edge and the blue M390.

Tell me why this model generates a lot of excitement.
Much of the excitement is driven by hype, high demand, and low availability. The black standard S30V version at retail price is a nice knife, can't add much to what others have posted. The blue M390 version is insanely over valued. Not sure if it's the color, the steel, or both. I'll just say it didn't impress me and leave it at that.

What is it that the PM has that gets you going?
I liked the looks and lines and the reviews I watched/read impressed. I bought into the hype and had to have one, the thrill of the hunt.

What colors and Steel are you looking forward to getting?
I've sold both of mine but I'd be perfectly satisfied with another black plain edge S30V model. I'll likely get another, probably used, once the hype/demand dies down.

It became my favorite edc knife because of the compression lock for sure and also it feels light but sturdy, thin and feels great in my hand. Super easy to one hand open/close also makes it almost the perfect knife in my opinion. I can't say enough good things about the compression lock I just freaking love it. I want a Superleaf too just for the compression lock although I've heard it doens't quite work as smooth as the PM2.

AMAZINGLY smooth and effortless opening and closing, amazing ergos, perfect blade shape, excellent weight, etc. etc

As others have said it's a combination of many things the Para2 does right:

• compression lock (AWESOME lock... and so fun to play with, flicking it open and closing it in a variety of ways)
  • smooooooth (smoothest knife I have ever felt)
  • size (overall not too big and not too small--the Para2 is the biggest knife I EDC, but even as such it just melts in the pocket)
  • drop dead sexy shape (it's just such a cool looking knife, but opened and closed)
  • S30V (I am a big fan of S30V, just a rock solid steel you can rely on, yet the Para2 is available with some exotic steels via the Sprint Runs and Dealer Exclusives)
  • variety of colors and finishes (black, digicam, satin, DLC... be it the standard production models or the Sprints Runs and Dealer Exclusives, there's lots of variety to choose from)
  • blade shape/length (3.5" is perfect for me and I just love the modified drop point of the Para2)
  • finger choil (love knives with finger choils)
  • jimping (perfection on this knife... sets the standard)
  • but probably most of all is the ERGONOMICS (unsurpassed... the most perfect feeling knife in the hand that I have or have ever felt... feels like it was made specifically with my hand in mind (and I am not the only one to say this)... it's just a pleasure to hold in the hand, perfection)

About the only thing I would change would be to offer it with a deep carry clip (Spyderco's wire clip would seem to be an excellent choice here). I personally have fixed this problem by installing the STR lowrider clip on my Para2s. :)

The best analogy I can give for the Para2 is that it's the Corvette of knives. It's a sexy, high performance piece of equipment built in America that offers amazing performance while basically being built with regular production materials you could find on most any other standard car (knife). It's just that it's engineered to use those materials in such a way that it surpasses (in both form an function) standard cars (knives), yet still remains within a *relatively* reasonable price point while offering performance on par with truly exotic cars (knives) like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc that cost 2, 3, 4, or 5 times as much. The Para2 is pretty much the same deal (think of the Corvette Z06/Grand Sport/ZR1 models as Sprint Runs and/or Dealer Exclusives and the analogy gets even better! :) )

Thin, light, feels just about perfect in hand, and flicks open like butter. Small and nimble enough for EDC, but wicked enough to alter someone's behavior - an almost perfect balance of EDC utility and last ditch self-defense capability. I think I have 5 of them, and one on pre-order.

I really appreciate how thin it is. I had a ZT 0550 that was a really cool knife, but it just felt 'square' and bulky to me, both in hand and in pocket. The PM2 is really streamlined and svelte in comparison. F&F is great. Plus, I love the compression lock, how I can flick it closed with one hand. It may be silly, but that is my favorite thing about the knife.

Paramilitary 2:

-Different colors of blade/handle
-Rock solid lock up, the knife itself is very solid too
-Sprint runs
-Opens very smooth
-Lays in the hand excellent
-Great cutting geometry
-Nice blade Steel
-Pocket Clips with 4 positions
-Thin
-Simple and very function design

Love it :)