What are the essential qualities of a good moderator?

A friend of mine has offered me an invitation to be a moderator of an upcoming forum.

I am almost totally in the dark about this kind of duty. So I would appreciate some opinions from the seasoned moderators here.

I reckon a sense of humour is mandatory. What else? :D :) :cool:

Consistancy is a huge part of being a mod. Be lax, be a hardass, be yourself. But be consistant. If you let something go once, but crack down on it another time, you're inviting dissension and you'll lose respect.

Qualification 2: It would also help if you knew how to spell "consistent", which aparently I don't. :footinmou :p

Yup -- consistency is key. A good sense of where the "line in the sand" will be is important, and communicate that to everyone up front so they know.

ALso, a good sense of diplomacy works wonders -- if you have good conflict resolution skills, that will go far, but don't let anyone cross the line you drew in the sand nonetheless, even if the perpetrator is a good friend. Otherwiae, folks will think you play favorites and they will lose enthusiasm for the forum.

I'm lucky in that the Wilderness Forum runs itself even when I'm away for long periods -- but the subject matter in the wilderness community is more "absolute" in many ways, and more peaceful than say, "tactics" where everyone gets their t1ts in a wringer over what is best, safest, most baddass.

Best,

~Brian.

Golok, Shop Talk is the smoothest running forum on this site thanks to Kit Carson and Darrell Ralph, the two gents that moderate it!
The number one thing they do that makes Shop Talk the smoothest running forum on this web site is pretty much leave it alone unless something serious happens or someone asks for their help.
In other words, don't keep the leash too tight and don't swat the flies with a shot gun!
Take care and happy moderating!!
Michael

Running a forum myself I know what it's all about. Definitely take notice of what Planterz said. Along with consistency remember that being a moderator is part of a team effort. Keep in touch with the others and make sure you're all in agreement before you do something big like ban somebody or such.

Another thing you need to keep in mind. You can't please everybody all the time. No matter what you do, somebody is going to get p!ssed off eventually. The trick is not to take it personally, it's just part of the job, handle it and move on.

Handling a forum can be fun if you have the right attitude, or a nightmare if you don't.

If you take part in a heated thread, make sure not to let your moderator-nees influence you postings. And don't let your posting (and especially the responses to) influence your moderating.

Be fair, and polite at all times. Don't ever say something to someone (via email) and 'hope' it doesn't get out... It's probably will and it'll bite ya on the ass. (learned that one the hard way!)

I've been a mod on a comic book forum for 5 years now. You think knife fanatics are crazy? Try dealing with the outcome of Superman vs. Thor without banning everyone!

www.comicboards.com/surfer my favorite board and the first one I got "promoted" to as a mod. Since then, I've risen to assistant manager and get to see ALL the behind-the-scenes stuff.

If you want to STAY a mod... Always be polite (x2) and be considerate (by which I mean, don't get snotty/snarky with co-mods, posters, managers, owners...)

Good luck! May your trolls be few and easy to spot!

Thanks, guys. From the responses, I can see those are words of wisdom, born of experience, plenty of it. :) ;) :D

L6Steel said:
Golok, Shop Talk is the smoothest running forum on this site thanks to Kit Carson and Darrell Ralph, the two gents that moderate it!
The number one thing they do that makes Shop Talk the smoothest running forum on this web site is pretty much leave it alone unless something serious happens or someone asks for their help.

We try to run the Exchange forums the same way. We don't mess around too much with anything, unless there is a report of a rules violation, or one of the mods catch it himself.

Our key is that for the most part, all of the mods are on the same page, and enforce the rules all the same way. (Most of the time) We also have our own, private forum, where we can discuss forum issues in private, so we can deal with issues fairly, and with some consistency. I would recommend such a forum on your friends forum, if one isn't in place already.

Personally, I try to leave my moderator hat at the door when visiting and posting in other areas of BFC, but sometimes that doesn't work. It is difficult to do, but you must try.

Good luck, anyway. As was stated, have the flame retardant underwear on standby, and be ready to be called every name in the book.

i usually let members say whatever they want unless it's off topic or has a liberal slant to it-then i lock it or delete it and send them a mean pm ;)

Back