What are you reading?

MTURBO

BANNED
Watched a old interview with author Nicholas A. Basbanes recently on C-SPAN talking about the then new book he had written called "A gentle Madness" "Bibliophiles, Bibliomanes, and the eternal Passion for Books".

IMG_20151118_1739099_rewind.jpg

Halfway through this book now and I have to say it is one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time.
The power that books and book collecting holds over some people is utterly fantastic and the money some pay for rare books and in building their own personal library can be hard to imagine.:eek:

I'm wondering what other book fanciers out there in BladeForum land are reading??
Maybe your reply's will lead me to my next great read.

51N28rgvM3L._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This amazing book by a legendary man . . .

51C00Dbo1FL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley.

Just finishing the girl with the dragon tatoo. Haven't read much fiction lately, but this has been a good book. I can see why it was so popular. Last book I read was a 1950's book on the Shackelton expedition.

I've been on a Cormac McCarthy kick lately. I've read a few hundred books at this point in my life and can 100% say that Blood Meridian and the border trilogy are by far the best I have ever read. He also wrote "The Road". That wasn't a bad book either. Much better than the movie. I highly recommend any of the above books, but I'll warn you right off, Blood Meridian and the last two books of the border trilogy are very heavy reading.

As to other notable books from my collection Dead Center, by Ed Kugler was interesting. As was "War as I Knew It" by Gen. George S. Patton. Many of David Morrell's novels were great. Dean Koontz has some good ones. And Louis L'Amour is probably the best I know for lighter reading. I can't wait to see this thread go on. It's difficult to find people that are into reading anymore.

Just finished Moby Dick, so I'm on a bit of a pallet cleanser.
I started it more than once about 28 years ago, and never finished. I was a young kid back then. Still in the 4th grade, and it was super boring. It was, so far, the only book to defeat me, so I took another stab, and finished.

Now I am ready to watch the new movie adaptation.

Right now, I'm reading mostly Wine and Cheese.

I've been on a Cormac McCarthy kick lately. I've read a few hundred books at this point in my life and can 100% say that Blood Meridian and the border trilogy are by far the best I have ever read. He also wrote "The Road". That wasn't a bad book either. Much better than the movie. I highly recommend any of the above books, but I'll warn you right off, Blood Meridian and the last two books of the border trilogy are very heavy reading.

As to other notable books from my collection Dead Center, by Ed Kugler was interesting. As was "War as I Knew It" by Gen. George S. Patton. Many of David Morrell's novels were great. Dean Koontz has some good ones. And Louis L'Amour is probably the best I know for lighter reading. I can't wait to see this thread go on. It's difficult to find people that are into reading anymore.

I have read The Road and have a copy on my shelf.
Dean Koontz and many of the Louis L'amour books have passed through my hands.

Blood Meridian looks like it will be something I would like to get into and I just ordered a copy from Amazon!

Thank you!!:thumbup:

If you love books I cannot recommend enough "Double Fold" by Nicholson Baker, subtitled "Libraries and the assault on paper": It is simply one of the most extraordinary books I have ever read, and one of the most enlightening as to what the future of reading will hold... All over the world I have read other books that concur with his assessment that we are losing any meaningful relationship to our past, thanks to an out of control infatuation with sterile "techno-grandiosity". It actually is worse in other countries, but the portrait here in America is frightening enough...

0375726217.jpg

Gaston

John Masters, Man of War; interesting insight into the British army between the wars (I & II) and the fall of France.

Was taken enough by his writing to try to piece together his three volume autobiography which I am in the process of accumulating.

Tom

I'm a huge Cormac McCarthy fan! Suttree is another title of his worth checking out. Blood Meridian, though, man that is good. Whether or not you have seen the movie, No Country for Old Men is also worth reading, as it differs appreciably from the Coen brother's cinematic version.

I have read The Road and have a copy on my shelf.
Dean Koontz and many of the Louis L'amour books have passed through my hands.

Blood Meridian looks like it will be something I would like to get into and I just ordered a copy from Amazon!

Thank you!!:thumbup:

It's a very unique novel. Let us know what you think of it after you're finished. On a side note, an artist named Ben Nichols wrote an album based off that novel. It's called "The last pale light in the west". The album is every bit as good as the book. It's a good album for aimlessly driving around dirt roads. That's actually how I found it in the first place. One of the songs was on an episode of the walking dead, which led me to the album, and then the book.

Back