What are your thoughts on the Microtech Amphibian?

shootist16

knife law moderator
I know that people are disappointed because the original concept was changed when it came time for production, but that doesn't necessarily mean that this isn't a great knife. I am considering a purchase and the Amphibian is on my list. For those of you that have them or have seen them, what do you think?

I had the chance to play with one back in November. My initial reaction was, "if I only had $180.00, I'd buy this thing!" So, the first impression was good. I have decent sized hands, and it fit them very well. The fit and finish was MT all the way. The Microbar lock was rock solid, and the action was also very MT. Sort of has that smooth, yet noisey, tight tolerance "plate tectonic" sound.

The clip was small, and unobtrusive. The triangular thumb stud looks strange, but is really effective. I must have opened and closed it fifteen times while looking it over. It's very natural.

The recurve blade is well executed. Not to recurved, but definitely curvey. I recently saw one with a stonewash boron carbide finish. That was really nice. It looks like transparent black chrome, but you can still see the stonewashed effect through it. That's the one I would buy, but I'm not sure if its only on the black handled varient. Maybe someone else knows.

So, my conclusion. If I had the dough, and didn't have so many other things ordered, I would definitly buy one.

Yeah, I was really bummed that the Amphibian didn't turn out like those awesome protos, but I've heard good things about it, it seems to live up to the Microtech name, kinda expensive though for an aluminum handle with kraton inserts....
I really liked that textured Ti handle in the proto shots...

Haven't handled one... yet.

So only from pics:
1. think I liked the more heavily recurved blade grind of protos. I mean, the whole knife looked more like "defense" than it did "utility".
2. not sure I like the looks of the teardrop thumbstud. It may feel fine, I dunno, but like the round thumbstud looks better.

I handled the auto version a week ago or so. It wasn't bad and I almost considered buying it. But it's smaller than I thought it would be. If it would have been about an inch bigger overall or at least a D/A I would have bought.

na , now that i have a UT6 life is over
it's you no ,something about it . maybe it's just me ;)

Shootist,
I had the chance to check one out.The quality is what you
hace come to expect from Microtech and I have always been pleased
with all I have from them.Saturday my latest arrived I planned on
ordering an LCC and an Amphibian,but got the LCC and a Medallion.
Subsequently regretted not getting the Amphib so I got a good price
and ordered it anyway and it can't get here soon enough.

I was feeling depressed today so i went to the knife store and they had an amphibian so i got to play with it. Impressions: it is a small knife, much smaller than the Socom E, about the same size as the LCC, The Thumb opener was a bit hard to use, i was that it was a bit taller, but i think that i could get used to it. But the most lasting impression that i have of this knife is that it is without a doubt the most comfortable, secure, and natural handle that i have ever found on a knife, and for this reason alone i think that it is a must have. I also think that the smaller size will compliment the microtech line, it is perfect for EDC (but i still think that an improved socom is a must)

Only problem with it is the guy had it priced at $256, and there was an LCC right next to it for $153, so i bought the LCC (i figured with shipping it was close to internet prices plus there was instant gratification)

I have one, black blade, green handle. It's a great knife! Very strong. The Micro bar locks up perfectly and wont budge. The plain edge version is extremely sharp due to the great edge geometry and it has a nice stout tip. The handle is very secure and comfortable. You can not go wrong with one these. For around 175 US dollars they are superb value.

Cheers

Peter

I'm also looking at getting one of these knives but I have one question. Is there any difference in the ones with the green handle and the ones with the black handle? Besides the color ;) :D .

I haven't handled one, but I love the looks of this knife. I can't wait to get my hands on one. It looks like a great cutter.

I was intrigued at first, but after opening it a few times, I found the new thumb tab didn't work well for me. I ended up buying a Socom Elite plain edge satin blade instead. The Amphibian was a cool knife, but didn't fit my medium large hand as well as the Socom.

To each his own...

jmx

Back