What brands are copycats

Since I'm new to any seriousness about knife collecting, is there any listing of knife brands that are rip-offs to avoid?

I'm a bang-for-buck kind of guy when it comes to this. That may change some day, but while I'm in my growing phase I'm not at all interested in spending hundreds on learning lessons. I still don't know what I absolutely like yet, let alone why I like it or how to identify and repeat in others.

So far I've come to learn to stay away from SanRenMu. Okay, fair enough, I heard you guys, considered all points and succumbed to the rationale. I also just saw a posting from another person about an Amazon brand I've come across a lot and considered several times, this Efangrow (I think). Saw that it was banned for being a copy brand, added that to my avoid list.

So I'm guessing I can add Ganzo, which is too bad because I really liked their knives I've tried.

I've seen around a couple brands, Y-Start & LW, as cheapies and I want to try one of each. Is this a no go as well? I don't want to believe that all things Chinese are equal, but I don't want to step on the toes of American businesses, ever. I'm almost ashamed I ever defended that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Listing cloners by name gives them free advertising, especially since this forum is heavily indexed by search engines. You don't need a list to figure out who is selling clones, just look at their product lines.

While I can understand where you are coming from, I doubt this topic flies here since it could either be construed as clone PR or turns into a mud slinging contest. Best is usually just buy from supporting vendors who just don't carry clones.

Listing cloners by name gives them free advertising, especially since this forum is heavily indexed by search engines. You don't need a list to figure out who is selling clones, just look at their product lines.

While I can understand where you are coming from, I doubt this topic flies here since it could either be construed as clone PR or turns into a mud slinging contest. Best is usually just buy from supporting vendors who just don't carry clones.

I can see your points, but I don't know when I'm buying a clone, because unlike many of you I haven't even seen the originals they are supposedly cloning. So how the heck am I supposed to know? Is there a list you can point me to, maybe, rather than naming then here and giving them free PR?

I mean, I'm trying my best here to do things right, but at every turn I'm being slapped by others telling me I can't do that. Even asking an innocent question it seems is unacceptable. Not a very welcoming place so far.

Sometimes Gerber does, counting on the cost of lawyers to keep others from suing.
If you find a San Ren Mu 604 or 605 for <$8, get it if it suits you. It doesn't seem to be a copy.

Steel Will is fine. FWIW in this forum <=$50 is a budget knife, <$25 cheap. Just so you know why people recommend what they do.

I don't know of such a list. My method is to only buy from legitimate knife dealers. Here's a list of some right here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-2-5-16.1089879/

Example - go to www.knifeworks.com, or bladehq.com, or knifecenter.com, or any of the other bigger dealers, and search for SanRenMu or Ganzo. No hits. Because they don't sell them. Look for Benchmade, Kershaw, or Spyderco on the same sites. Lots of knives, some made in China for those brands. Now look up Real Steel - a Chinese knife company. What's this? Lots of Real Steel knives listed? Yes, because Real Steel is a legitimate, respected Chinese knife manufacturer that doesn't make clones.

So I don't need to seek out all of the cloners just so I can avoid them. I just avoid buying cheap knives on Amazon, Ebay, or the direct importer sites that I won't mention. Stick to honest dealers, it is never a problem.

There are plenty of inexpensive and good knives made that aren't clones. You don't have to use the excuse of "I'm poor so I want to test out a cheap version first." I don't have any especially expensive knives, and I never had to buy a clone to find out what I liked.

Since I'm new to any seriousness about knife collecting, is there any listing of knife brands that are rip-offs to avoid?

I'm a bang-for-buck kind of guy when it comes to this. That may change some day, but while I'm in my growing phase I'm not at all interested in spending hundreds on learning lessons. I still don't know what I absolutely like yet, let alone why I like it or how to identify and repeat in others.

So far I've come to learn to stay away from SanRenMu. Okay, fair enough, I heard you guys, considered all points and succumbed to the rationale. I also just saw a posting from another person about an Amazon brand I've come across a lot and considered several times, this Efangrow (I think). Saw that it was banned for being a copy brand, added that to my avoid list.

So I'm guessing I can add Ganzo, which is too bad because I really liked their knives I've tried.

I've seen around a couple brands, Y-Start & LW, as cheapies and I want to try one of each. Is this a no go as well? I don't want to believe that all things Chinese are equal, but I don't want to step on the toes of American businesses, ever. I'm almost ashamed I ever defended that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check out Bestech, Harnds and Ruike. They make great budget minded knives and are Chinese Brands.

Otherwise CRKT, Kershaw, Byrd, Esse and Ontario make some great knives made in China but under American Branding. Or check out Buck or Cold steel as recommended above.

If you have a particular brand that you question or suspect , you could try search here of the name . If it's been discussed before , the verdict should be clear .

Since I'm new .... is there any...knife brands....to avoid?

....I'm in my growing phase ... I still don't know what I absolutely like yet, let alone why I like it ...

So far I've come to learn to stay away ....
....too bad because I really liked their knives....

Lesson one, buy only what which captures your interest.
If one is hampered by a lack of buying power,
it becomes apparent that there is a limitation to what one can have.
Its no wonder, that a sizable portion of the outdoor knife market
is filled by illegal low budget replicants.
Great that you have chosen to go with "legit only" products.
That means you are matured enough to fully appreciate the main stream
knife brands which are listed under the "manufacturer's forums" category in the bladeforums.
Whilst Low budget no brand fakers might have their own fan clubs,
copy cats can only hope to be included within the honors list someday...
https://www.bladeforums.com/categories/manufacturers-forums.673/

I don't know of such a list. My method is to only buy from legitimate knife dealers. Here's a list of some right here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-2-5-16.1089879/

Example - go to www.knifeworks.com, or bladehq.com, or knifecenter.com, or any of the other bigger dealers, and search for SanRenMu or Ganzo. No hits. Because they don't sell them. Look for Benchmade, Kershaw, or Spyderco on the same sites. Lots of knives, some made in China for those brands. Now look up Real Steel - a Chinese knife company. What's this? Lots of Real Steel knives listed? Yes, because Real Steel is a legitimate, respected Chinese knife manufacturer that doesn't make clones.

So I don't need to seek out all of the cloners just so I can avoid them. I just avoid buying cheap knives on Amazon, Ebay, or the direct importer sites that I won't mention. Stick to honest dealers, it is never a problem.

There are plenty of inexpensive and good knives made that aren't clones. You don't have to use the excuse of "I'm poor so I want to test out a cheap version first." I don't have any especially expensive knives, and I never had to buy a clone to find out what I liked.
Sadly, there's still some people who slip through the cracks. Quartermaster is sold by quite a few vendors here, and they are a total fraud. Mantis knives also lies about materials used. Microtech stole both the subframe lock and 0777 design from Kai. Tim Britton also stole Kizer designs.

Ganzo, though it looks like they're changing their branding to Firebird. Rip-off designs, cheaply-made out of low-quality materials, and their 'Axis-lock' is laughably awful when you've handled a real Benchmade Axis-lock. I'm ashamed to admit I own an F745. Just a very bad knife, and I didn't know it was a copy until after I bought it. It's a downsized copy of a H&K knife (can't remember the model).

Sanrenmu seems to be a mixed bag. Some of their knives seem to be original. I have their little friction-folder, the 4077, and I actually like it a lot. Surprisingly well-made and came with the most polished out-of-the-box edge of all my knives. Most of their knives just don't appeal to me, though, hence I only own a 4077, and just knowing they have copied before, I'm all the more reluctant to buy another.

Last edited:
Y start has some clones. They are also very low quality. I'd avoid.

Try some budget brands like we knives new Vivivca brand or however you spell it. Bestech knives is another one. Ruike and real Steel are made by Senmenru but have some original budget knife models.
Two sun knives that are designed by "night morning design" are original designs.

Crkt and Kershaw are poorly made budget models but original designs. Might be better to splurge a few more doll hairs and get one of the better budget knives from the better Chinese manufacturers.

Avoid ganzo... Every one is poorly made and a clone. We don't like them here.

Buy what you like and can afford IF you are not aware of it (or it's maker reputation) being a copy (copier) and you have looked around here and found nothing. If you really are unaware of anything wrong and find out later, that's just a mistake; no big deal. ;) Over time, you will get better but will not likely ever catch EVERY one, there are too many. :( Buy with a clear conscience and don't stress over mistakes which ALL of us make sometimes. :thumbsup:

Wow, I need to take a a few weeks digging into companies and shells and figure out who owns what, in order to avoid giving my money to the supposed bad guys. Lol

Ugh, maybe I'll just go back to flashlights or watches.

Rather than trying to avoid the bad actors seek out the good ones. They are easier to identify.

Save up for a Spyderco. Then a Buck. Then a Case. Then a Cold Steel. When tax refund/Christmas season rolls around (depending on your age) get a CRK. Stake out the Exchange and try to snag a ghost GEC. Etc.

By that time you'll be several years into your collection and an expert on knives.

Back