What Buck are you carrying today?

Put my 444 to work prepping jalapeño poppers today. Stayed at a Air bnb and there wasn't a sharp knife to be had until I pulled out my laser sharp 444.
UoaLs5p.jpeg

My Buck 345 Vantage has completely pushed an old Buck 121 back to exclusively turkey cleaning and fish filet use. I far prefer the Vantage ability to pocket - it is my main bait knife now - easy one hand opening when my hands are gross with dead bait. Used it fishing in Florida last week, and then later in the week back on the surf here in coastal NC. Florida shot of a Shovelhead shark on the oyster beds.
Amelia-Island-Shovelhead-Shark-5-16-23.jpg

Buck_345_Vantage_at_Holden_Beach.jpg

Still with the 2021 vintage Buck 110. Just before I switched back to carrying it, it had been serving desk knife duty. I noticed that it wasn't cutting as well as a touch-up with the ceramic, so spent a few minutes with a couple of diamond stones (DMT coarse and fine) to re-establish the proper bevel. I'd been mostly hitting the apex with a ceramic and over a few months it just wasn't doing the job. Now it's back in shape and has been serving well again.

Still with the 2021 vintage Buck 110. Just before I switched back to carrying it, it had been serving desk knife duty. I noticed that it wasn't cutting as well as a touch-up with the ceramic, so spent a few minutes with a couple of diamond stones (DMT coarse and fine) to re-establish the proper bevel. I'd been mostly hitting the apex with a ceramic and over a few months it just wasn't doing the job. Now it's back in shape and has been serving well again.
I like the upgraded steels.

Yet I'm pretty happy with the edge I can put on 420hc.
And it does everything I ask of it.
🙂

I like the upgraded steels.

Yet I'm pretty happy with the edge I can put on 420hc.
And it does everything I ask of it.
🙂

I feel the same way. Even with the super-est of the super steels, you lose that "holy crap that's sharp!" level of sharpness very quickly, albeit the useful edge continues a lot longer. Since I prefer to use my knives with the "holy crap that's sharp!" edge as much possible, I'm going to do touch-ups regardless of what steel I use. Given that, 420HC is not really a handicap.

Ultimately, geometry is what does the cutting. Steels that favor achieving the desired geometry are good to go in my book. Those that don't (like most D2 and 440C in my experience) are poop that I don't want.

Still going with the born-in-2021 Buck 110. Looking at the ebony scales never gets old. There's just something about the classic, deep, dense appearance of ebony that says "I'm absolutely a Buck 110."

I enjoy cutting things with it that might otherwise not require the use of a knife. I go through quite a number of "water enhancer" (adult Kool-Aid) bottles with the amount of water I drink every day. The wrappers are always at least partially perforated to tear easily, but it's easier and quicker and way more fun to cut around where the top meets the bottle with my 110.

Back