What can I use for a target?

I'd like to get into knife throwing, but I really don't know what to do about a target. I could build a wooden target, but the problem is, I don't want to just leave it out in the yard where it may attract termites or something that may venture their way towards the house. I also don't want to lug it in and out of the house since it'll probably be heavy and it will probably be too big to store it easily in the house. I've thought of like treating the wood or coating it with something, but the knives would just cut through that and leave it susceptible to termites again.
Any suggestions?

Couple Ideas come to mind. First, if you want light and portable, you could try closed cell foam. It is commonly used as archery targets for field points and broadheads. Knives will probably chew it up faster than arrows, but it would fit the bill. Cost can be from @$10-$40 bucks retail.

Next, for less money than foam- reinforced pallets. These are often free or cheap to come by. You could then attach 2x4s accross one side to provide a more solid target face. A little heavier, but still portable and longer lasting than foam. Cost can be from $0-$15 to make.

Lastly, and my personal favorite, tree trunks or tree rounds. This is the cheapest way to go, but depending on where you live, possibly a little more labor intensive. I cruise craigslist for free firewood/scrap wood. Here in the country, someone is always chopping down or chopping up a tree. They are often cut into 15-20inch rounds, which make excellent targets. I will load my pickup with as much as I can and stack it near my outdoor firepit/knife range. I don't care if the wood is green or dry for knife/hawk throwing. Once it is chewed up pretty good, I burn it in the firepit. I have gotten creative and made some leg stands to set the rounds on to bring up the height to a more desirable level, but it is not necessary. I will sometimes spray the pile/target with bug spray or just sprinkle bug dust arount the wood pile. That keeps the critters at bay. Occasionally I'll impale a malingering spider or earwig that strays onto my target surface...entirely by accident.

Have fun and good luck!

+1 on foam archery targets!
I have a real cheap rectangular foam archery target and I've thrown cheap folders, ninja stars, shot it with BB's and Paintballs ever since I was a kid and it still serves its purpose just fine.

Couple Ideas come to mind. First, if you want light and portable, you could try closed cell foam. It is commonly used as archery targets for field points and broadheads. Knives will probably chew it up faster than arrows, but it would fit the bill. Cost can be from @$10-$40 bucks retail.

Next, for less money than foam- reinforced pallets. These are often free or cheap to come by. You could then attach 2x4s accross one side to provide a more solid target face. A little heavier, but still portable and longer lasting than foam. Cost can be from $0-$15 to make.

Lastly, and my personal favorite, tree trunks or tree rounds. This is the cheapest way to go, but depending on where you live, possibly a little more labor intensive. I cruise craigslist for free firewood/scrap wood. Here in the country, someone is always chopping down or chopping up a tree. They are often cut into 15-20inch rounds, which make excellent targets. I will load my pickup with as much as I can and stack it near my outdoor firepit/knife range. I don't care if the wood is green or dry for knife/hawk throwing. Once it is chewed up pretty good, I burn it in the firepit. I have gotten creative and made some leg stands to set the rounds on to bring up the height to a more desirable level, but it is not necessary. I will sometimes spray the pile/target with bug spray or just sprinkle bug dust arount the wood pile. That keeps the critters at bay. Occasionally I'll impale a malingering spider or earwig that strays onto my target surface...entirely by accident.

Have fun and good luck!

+1 on foam archery targets!
I have a real cheap rectangular foam archery target and I've thrown cheap folders, ninja stars, shot it with BB's and Paintballs ever since I was a kid and it still serves its purpose just fine.
Tree rounds sounds like a good idea as long as they don't attract nasty bugs. Foam seems like a good idea, but it's expensive, especially if it doesn't last very long. How fast would throwing knives eat it up?

My dad used to get these plastic rolls from the hospital. I guess it was just the left over junk they used to wrap the tools in for surgery. They were like 4 ft high i think... Pretty much just a roll of um tightly bound. They were EXCELLENT bow targets and were pretty cheap considering he was just taking something they were going to pay to have hauled off lol. You might be able to get in touch with hospitals or something. Idk just a thought

also, I work with different factories and most of them use some type of plastic like that and cardboard and other types of wood that come with their shipments. They bind all the junk up and just toss it and you can get that stuff for free/super cheap if you can talk to the right people. Heck when I told the plant manager what i was planning, he thought it was pretty cool and asked to see the knives I made for it. It also depends on the type of cardboard and binder they use. Some of those things make the cardboard EXTREMELY resilient because of the density of the material so you might want to watch what you put into these, arrows might have a hard time with it but id say darts and blades should be fine for it.

Hope it helped fellas. Merry Christmas to all.

Excellent ideas! I bought my throwing set 2 months ago, but haven't use it yet, i'll pile some cardboard 2morrow to start target practicing, hope it's not too hard, xmas!

A big tomhawk might chew up foam. But for throwing knives I've had mine for years and it doesn't seem like it will stop being a block of foam any time soon. Obviously there are some small chips of foam missing but nothin to worry about

When I began throwing I found that softer woods (pine etc..) held my knives better and allowed me to determine what part of the knife was hitting the target (ie.. when they didn't stick).
I fashioned a target out of square 4"x4" treated pine posts cut to 4' lengths and nailed togther ( llll )
has been a good target for over a year and cost less than $10 if I used materials laying around the house.
is 4' tall, 1.5' wide and have not yet had to flip it and use the other side.

Back