What cutting surfaces do you use for chicken?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by cocalove, Jun 23, 2020.

1. cocalove

cocalove

Jun 23, 2020
    I'm looking to buy something easy to clean for the sole purpose of prepping chicken. What kind of boards/mats do you like that can be easily disinfected? Right now I have a super cheapo plastic mat that came in a pack of 5 from the dollar store. It slides around everywhere, and it's so flimsy that I've destroyed 4 of them already.

2. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Plastic is terrible for your knives.

I break down a few chickens a month. I use a standard hardwood cutting board, well maintained with mineral oil.

3. kwackster

kwackster

Dec 23, 2005
    While there are indeed quite a few plastic cutting boards that will blunt a sharp knife real quick, there are also types of plastic that are very gentle on knife edges.
    Polyethylene is one such "edge friendly" material, and my cheap Zanussi cutting board is made from it.

4. WhoseWoodsTheseAre

WhoseWoodsTheseAre

Jun 4, 2020
    I use a soft plastic board, and sterilize it in the dishwasher (I have a dishwasher that can be set to superheat the final rinse).

I'm very careful about the edge quality of my culinary knives, and paranoid about food safety.

5. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    I am not paranoid about food safety. I'm conscious of it and move on. I hand wash everything. 50+yrs and doing alright.

To each their own.

6. pnsxyr

pnsxyr Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I use a hard plastic board that doesn't tend to allow scar marks for raw meat prep. It's hard on knives but ease of disinfection is my primary priority, although raw chicken is the biggest one of concern. After cooking I'll dress cooked meats on an oak block. I disinfect both with accelerated hydrogen peroxide.

WhoseWoodsTheseAre likes this.
  7. tomsch

tomsch Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2004
    I use a rubber cutting board that is NSF certified and used only for chicken prep. I scrub it after with detergent (Dawn dish soap) and that's pretty much it.

WhoseWoodsTheseAre and marchone like this.
  8. Phydeaux

Phydeaux

Mar 4, 2006
    I use a bamboo board. Gets scrubbed with dishwash soap (usually Dawn) immediately after use. Haven't had any problems. I'd like to make a hard maple one soon just because I like maple.

One of the things I am very careful with is cross contamination. Keeping track of what things have raw chicken on them, where you set them down, things they contact, what you touch etc. I actually do this when handling any raw meat (and eggs).

You can always periodically use a little bleach to sanitize the boards. UC Davis Food Science department put out an article about using wooden cutting boards. It turns out that the wood cutting boards seem to have some anti microbial properties.

9. Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Do a search on Serious Eats for wood vs plastic cutting boards.

10. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    Sani-Tuff rubber cutting boards are used in many high-end kitchens. I have a 18"x24" one at home plus a thick hardwood board for a second work station in our home. Properly sanitized, these are used for multiple purposes every day in commercial kitchens everywhere.

Many commercial European kitchens use color-coded polyethylene cutting boards, separated by use. Raw meat, raw fish, cooked meat, vegetables, salads and fruit, and pastry and dairy. This system minimizes cross contamination. Keeping a dedicated chicken cutting board at home achieves the same result.

No matter what you have, you need to wash the contaminated surface with hot soapy water after contact with raw chicken. Better still is to rinse with a light bleach solution after washing. This regimen will effectively eliminate inadvertent salmonella contact.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  11. WhoseWoodsTheseAre

WhoseWoodsTheseAre

Jun 4, 2020
    This is what I learned in cooking school. I also have a section of my counter dedicated to raw chicken-fish-meat prep. Utensils used in that area don't leave the area until clean up time. That way I don't even have to think about cross-contamination.

I know someone who got salmonella, and another person who was accidentally poisoned with bleach from a meal served out of a high end commercial kitchen (likely in a glass his drink was mixed in). I wouldn't wish either on my worst enemy.