What did I find?

I was at a gunshow a couple of weekends ago and stopped by a knife dealer's table. He had a silver Benchmade balisong with a 3" or so blade. I thought it might be the new 31 and asked to see it. It didn't have a pocket clip. It was also fairly hefty (don't all Benchmades have Ti handles?). TThere was some corrosion or discoloration inside the handles. Today, I find this:

http://216.71.158.68/webcat/benchmadeoriginalmodel68balisong.shtml

It looks exactly like the one I saw. The guy wanted $180 for it. He couldn't tell me anything about it as he was running the table for his friend who wasn't there at that moment. It felt good in my hand, but I thought it was a 31 and could get it cheaper from 1sks.com.

Chris

should have snatched that up..
complain about the messed up parts enough and you may even drive the price down.

Originally posted by mtnbkr
(don't all Benchmades have Ti handles)

No.........as a matter of fact, very, very few had ti handles until just recently. Ti handles were only available from the Custom Shop and were a $1000 option.

Custom Shop Titanium Handles-
standard.jpg

Originally posted by Dan GSR
should have snatched that up..
complain about the messed up parts enough and you may even drive the price down.

Was it a 68 though? I know nothing at all about Benchmade's balisong knives. Do they have more than two (68 and 31) models with those dimensions?

There's a gunshow this weekend. They might be at the show again.

Chris

Originally posted by Dawkind

No.........as a matter of fact, very, very few had ti handles until just recently. Ti handles were only available from the Custom Shop and were a $1000 option.

I meant current production, but I appreciate the info.
BTW, nice pic.

Chris

Originally posted by Dawkind
Ti handles were only available from the Custom Shop and were a $1000 option.

Custom Shop Titanium Handles-
standard.jpg
*Brag brag* :p ;)
Just kidding, Dudley, that's an awesome nice balisong. :)

PCC models 10,11,68, and 69; BM models 30 and 35 and now the new 31.

There were also assorted 3" knives from the custom shop.....

standard.jpg

Ok. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't pass on an excellent deal. BTW, are the model numbers stamped anywhere so I can ID them more easily?

Chris

mtnbkr: No, not the old ones. You have to 'know', recognize them, like hidden/visible pins, countersunk/not cs holes, blade length, blade profile, etc.

One thing though, to separate the old Bali-Songs from Pacific Cutleries and Benchmades: The Bali-Song logo on the Bali-Songs don't have that ® like the rest of them do.

The latest productions, however, have a litte model number printed below the Bali-Song logo. Like '42', '43', '47' and so on.

If the knife is still there, BUY it. No matter what shape its in it can be renewed. If you don't buy it, let me know and I'll buy it.

The 68 was my all time favorite PC or BM bali.

68 had hidden pins as did the 35. 35 had sort of a weehawk blade with a high polish. The 68 had a "utility" blade with a dull finish.

The 10 and I think the 30 had exposed pins. But they are all fine balis.

Thanks for the info. If they're at the show this w/e I'll take another look at it. If it is a 68, I'll try to get it.

Chris

Buy the damn 68 if at all possible...and like navajo said he will buy it if you can't afford it (everyone knows he complains about not having one enough;) )

IMO, $180 is too much to pay for a 68 thats not NIB or Near Mint. I got one that was so near mint I don't think it had ever been flipped for $115 at a gun show not too far back. The seller was asking $150 when he started but I'll share my trick with you. I carry a NM BM 42 or 47 to every gunshow. When I find a balisong I like and ask the price this comes in handy. If I feel their asking price is too high, I ask them "Why are you asking so much, I bought this one with Titanium handles for $110 brand new." This works on probably 80% of all sellers I've come across at gunshows.

I know that these knives aren't being produced anymore, but when it comes down to it, I use my balis and I'd rather pay $180 for 2 BM31's and a bottle of Miltec. But I'm not a collector. If you are collecting something, it doesn't matter what you pay for it because their won't be anymore made, but if you're looking for a user I don't think it's a good deal.

Bought a 44 at a gun show a few months ago. Pretty mint. Bought it for the sheath. Kept the sheath and traded the knife. Not crazy about tanto blades. Paid eighty bucks for it. Not bad for a minty BM steel handled bali.:)

Yup...great price Navajo.., not easy to get anything from that era for $80...good job!

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Back