What did you recycle into your kit?

Hi folks, here is where I'm going with this;
We are all familiar with the Altoids tin that started out as something else, then we realized that this can work into our kit for other purposes.
So the question is; what items have you used that started out life as something else or were intended/used for other purposed before you decided it could be used in you kit?

Example, I have a couple of small round hard plastic canisters with screw on/off lids that originally had hair products in them. They are appx. 1:1/4" tall by 2:3/4" wide and hold 1.7oz. While cleaning out the cupboard the other day I realized that these could be utilized in the kit to hold stuff like;
tinder starter
vaseline soaked cotton
fishing kit
meds
etc.
These would even fit nicely inside a Maxpedition water bottle holder.

I think it would be interesting to see what other items you have recycled and given a second life in your kit.
Thanks.

A big, red tub of Folgers coffee fits a Coleman 533 dual fuel stove perfectly as a case.

A standard soda bottle cap with a bunch of holes drilled in it turns a Platypus bottle into a "shower."

Cotton wadding from medicine bottles gets used in fire straws with washed out soda straws around here.
Parts of a dull, broken hacksaw blade are now attached to a few fire steels.
A chunk of old cotton rope got unraveled for cordage, char material, wicks and kid "jewelry" after it got washed and twisted.
Soda bottle lids and necks get made into water proof containers, fishing bobbers and cat toys.
Soda cans are now a few alcohol stoves, candle lanterns and assorted parts of a few other projects.
Old belts and thrift store leather items have become sheathes, or parts of sheathes and resewn into other bags, pouches or used to patch items.
A soda cup lid got to become bright red liners on my BK 14, too.

I collect the lint from the dryer to use as fire tinder. Old perscription bottles make nice water tight containers (peel all lables off the bottle before use).

I just "recycled" yrt another item (sorry, I wish I could post pics - perhaps someday).
I have a small relatively flat tin that came from a friend in europe with chocolates in it. It's appx 4" square and about 3/8" thick. I used it to put first aid items in and put in my EDC Maxpedition bag so I have some bandaids and burn gel etc. Works great, it's slim enough to slide in a pocket.
I'm always looking to learn about this sort of thing and find peoples recomendations fascinating.
greatnortoni

Made a pop can/peny stove. That's my only real recycled item, unless we are going to count the rest of my kit which is comprised of mostly used gear.

Last edited:
I reuse those plastic tubes that IDS Whey Protein drinks come in, make perfect fishing kits.

Flip up contianer from my blood sugar kit for CB in vaseline and everythign else I can fit in them.

Flip up contianer from my blood sugar kit for CB in vaseline and everythign else I can fit in them.

I often wondered about using them since the film canisters are getting a little harder (for some digital folks) to come by.
I'll have to start saving mine from now on.
This thread has some good ideas, keep em coming!:applause:

I often wondered about using them since the film canisters are getting a little harder (for some digital folks) to come by.
I'll have to start saving mine from now on.
This thread has some good ideas, keep em coming!:applause:

I went to Sam's club last year & got every standard film canister they had. Gave me 166 of 'em. They're dinosaurs nowadays.

Ocean Spray "Craisins" pouches are zip-lock and stand up on any reasonably level surface when filled with water.

I remembered an article I read years ago in a motorcycle touring magazine about using the mylar bladder that comes inside boxes of wine, as a camp pillow.
Clean it all out and you have an inflatable (to the stiffness you desire) pillow for use when camping.
Have I tried it - yes, did I like it - not particularly, seems that I should have gotten a bigger box or maybe should have just drunk the entire contents, then perhaps I would have slept better?

35mm film canisters - I fill them with petrol jelly soaked cotton balls.

Business card - I wrap duct tape around it (length wise)

First Aid Belt Pouch [looks like a tiny red backpack - was issued to me at work] - I put my fire kit in this (tinder bottle listed above, LMF fire steel, emergency candle, lighter).

I use the tubes that epoxy come in to hold tinder. I also buy the big long pixy stick straws they sell with the candy at blockbuster and fill them with cotton. They are much larger then regular straws and work great.

Back