What do I do with 1/32 S30V?

What a saga!

A friend orders some kitchen knives. So I ordered 3' by 1" by .090" from CPM.

2 weeks later: They lost the order.

Reordered

3 weeks later: It came too thick. I'll use it on something else.

Ordered .125" sheared steel from Admiral.

1 week later: shows up.

Friend has a precision grinder at work. Offers to size it for me. Keeps forgetting to bring it home.

2 weeks later: I get this phone call:

"<laughing> So I told the guy to make it about .085". But this stuff looks too thin. So I called him up. He said 'I removed .085" just like you wanted.'"

This leaves me with 6 feet of 1" by .030" S30V. Beautifly polished I might add.

Anybody want some?

Steve

I went over to my friends house last night. Guess what? He didn't bring it home, again.

However, it's thinner than I thought. He said it's about .020"

I believe that's tooooo thin for even a filet knife. Might make the world's most expensive washers: 4 lbs of steel to yeld 3 oz of washers - scheeesh.

Let me get my hands on it and measure. I'll set a $ and let you know.

Steve

as was mentioned, you can make fillet blades. also a couple of paring knives for your wife, for all the dust you have tracked into the house.:) also let it rest for awhile, a idea for a neck knife? or a small belt knife. or! maybe this is a sign to make minitures?

If you dont want it Rick Browne will buy it from you, I was telling him how great the stuff is at the BAKCA show and he was wondering where he could get some that thin. He mostly makes slip joints. Give him call, he lives in Upland, Cal and I am sure he is in the Knives Annual or something.
oh, I just read your second post......... 020" would be perfect for framelock washers!!! :(

Back