What do you carry on hikes?

Most of my hiking these days is in the 5 miles range, and I get by with my SAK Classic, with its awesome tweezers and scissors, and the Izula I throw in my bag.
Pretty reasonable choices and similar to what I do with the White River Backpacker Pro being the Izula substitute. It used to be either a BK-14 or BK-24 prior to getting the Backpacker last year. I do like the SAK tweezers for picking thorns out of my hands even though they aren't the best. But they are plenty good enough and always with you. Sometimes I go with a larger 5-6" blade just for giggles even though I really don't need it. But I like knives.

my ruike jager in 14c28n, low cost (around $65) so I'm not afraid to abuse it if the need arises... it has held up to any bushcraft/woodcraft tasks I could throw at it
f118g.2.jpg

I mostly day hike and do a fair amount of camping. I dont want to stray too far from knives but ive been using a Maxpedition Falcon 2 pack for a couple years now and it suits my wilderness day activities as well as an urban crawling day. If I am carrying the bag you can bet ive got my trusty KaBar Eskabar (black coating stripped and nice patina, orange zytel scales) If no bag and just strolling ill have a stockman, trapper, or Leatherman Wave. On a camping trip ill bring all this plus a Condor Sequioa Primitive for bushcraft chores, and a hatchet.

Man, I must be more paranoid than most. I never hike without a pack, even day hike. and I never go anywhere without at least a two day food and water supply. I always have my spyderco on me, plus a leatherman and a fixed blade in my pack. This has been my std carry for 25 years.

Man, I must be more paranoid than most. I never hike without a pack, even day hike. and I never go anywhere without at least a two day food and water supply. I always have my spyderco on me, plus a leatherman and a fixed blade in my pack. This has been my std carry for 25 years.

I live on a very sparsely populated large island in the North Atlantic. Our SAR crews regularly have to find people who went into the woods thinking they’d only be out an hour. They get lost, they don’t get back before dark, they sprain an ankle, they fall and get knocked out for a couple hours until it’s dark, they get stuck in a bog, lots of reasons.

The SAR people tell me that the people who bring a pack with gear, water, food are never the ones they have to rescue. It is always the ones who don’t think they need the stuff or the skills.

Cold Steel SR1 and SAK Farmer.

I'm a greyman onebag EDC'er and try to do everything out of a single <10lb/L bag whether it's a day in the city or day in the woods. It's a minimalist version of my UL backpacking gear (minus sleeping bag) so I got a tent, ground pad, rain gear, stove, extra clothing, heater, water purification, food, water, booze, and a bushcraft wood processing/fire kit. I heavily multi-task, so most of it sees reasonable use day-to-day, but the downside of multi-tasking is that in an emergency, certain functions are mutually exclusive.

The SAR people tell me that the people who bring a pack with gear, water, food are never the ones they have to rescue. It is always the ones who don’t think they need the stuff or the skills.

Known as 'Preparadox' - prepared persons are the least likely to need their preps... and vice versa.

I recently moved from the PNW forrests, to Central Texas. On my last outing here which was just a 2 hour walk in the woods, I just had a multi-tool and a Mora 510. I think if I were doing an overnight hike, I'd stick to that plus a Caronna folding saw.
I was even thinking of ditching the Mora 510 but it's a lot more comfortable to use than the multi-tool if your doing a lot of knife work.

Whenever I go on hikes of any kind I also bring:
FAK
Rain poncho
Small tent (when going multiple days)
Dehydrated food (when going multiple days)
More than enough water + a filter
A handful of power bars
Lighter
Jute twine
Duct tape
Warm clothes
Gloves
Flashlight
Map + compass.

I live on a very sparsely populated large island in the North Atlantic. ...
.... the people who bring a pack with gear, water, food are never the ones they have to rescue...

Environment always dictate the needs (be it clothing, gear, food, etc.). And bringing a little extra, just in case, it is usually not a bad idea.

HOWEVER carrying a crapload of "just in case" stuff my impede doing what you plan on doing. And I have experienced this situation a couple times (you learn after that and don't make the same mistake three times). In some instances, light is right and speed translate into safety. I am talking alpine climbing above the three line, away from anything you could burn, away from anything you could use to create a shelter (besides a snow cave).

My climbing partner and me made this mistake while trying to do the "3x4000m summits route to the Mont Blanc" (4800m) in the Alps. We loaded everthing but the kitchen sink. Extra climbing gear, extra clothes, extra food, stove, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, two shovels, two ropes, two ice axes each, etc. While going up in the cable car we realised that our packs were HUGE compared to the other guys packs... we thought that they might be going to do a different route or something... But no, they were going to do the same route as we intended.

Everyone was basically running, light packs and enjoying. My pal and me were doing ok... but slow. Until we realised that by the time were were reaching the first summit, everyone else was on their way to the Mont Blanc already. They were hours ahead of us. We turned back.

Next time we did it just like everyone else (or almost) and realised that the real safety there was to haul ass and be done as soon as possible.

I think there has to be some kind of compromise between being prepared at all times for the Apocalipsis and not even having a backpack. I always carry a pack because it is more conveniente for me to carry stuff there.

Knives wise, I carry a light modern folder in my pocket (serrated if there are ropes involved in the activity) and a SAK in the backpak. If I carry a stove, I change the SAK for a multitool, just in case I need to pick up hot pots or fix the stove itself (they come with a dedicated tool, but you never know...). Fixed blades are for when I want to PLAY with them. No real need for them in what I do.

Mikel

There are times when you can be over packed, lol. I have a friend that does this on every hike. Regardless of length. It could be 26 mile 3 peak loop or a 3 mile out and back, lol. For me, I have a std pack for day hikes all set to go Very simple supplies within it. It has a foil blanket, a lightweight rain poncho, 100ft of orange rip cord, a med kit, fire steel, leatherman wave, compass, and a fixed blade. I then add large bag of jerkey and a large bag of trail mix. I attach two bottles of water and have a filter or steari pen. All of that in my small pack weighs maybe 15-20 lbs. Very light.

Environment always dictate the needs (be it clothing, gear, food, etc.). And bringing a little extra, just in case, it is usually not a bad idea.

HOWEVER carrying a crapload of "just in case" stuff my impede doing what you plan on doing. And I have experienced this situation a couple times (you learn after that and don't make the same mistake three times). In some instances, light is right and speed translate into safety. I am talking alpine climbing above the three line, away from anything you could burn, away from anything you could use to create a shelter (besides a snow cave).

My climbing partner and me made this mistake while trying to do the "3x4000m summits route to the Mont Blanc" (4800m) in the Alps. We loaded everthing but the kitchen sink. Extra climbing gear, extra clothes, extra food, stove, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, two shovels, two ropes, two ice axes each, etc. While going up in the cable car we realised that our packs were HUGE compared to the other guys packs... we thought that they might be going to do a different route or something... But no, they were going to do the same route as we intended.

Everyone was basically running, light packs and enjoying. My pal and me were doing ok... but slow. Until we realised that by the time were were reaching the first summit, everyone else was on their way to the Mont Blanc already. They were hours ahead of us. We turned back.

Next time we did it just like everyone else (or almost) and realised that the real safety there was to haul ass and be done as soon as possible.

I think there has to be some kind of compromise between being prepared at all times for the Apocalipsis and not even having a backpack. I always carry a pack because it is more conveniente for me to carry stuff there.

Knives wise, I carry a light modern folder in my pocket (serrated if there are ropes involved in the activity) and a SAK in the backpak. If I carry a stove, I change the SAK for a multitool, just in case I need to pick up hot pots or fix the stove itself (they come with a dedicated tool, but you never know...). Fixed blades are for when I want to PLAY with them. No real need for them in what I do.

Mikel

Chouinard summarized this well when he noted that "speed is safety" and "if you carry a bivy sack, you will end up needing it".

There are robust online communities around the hiking of the US's major north/south long distance trails: the AT, PCT and CDT. Many of those forums list and discuss the gear lists to smallest of details. Knives are generally incredibly minimalistic.

We recently watched the gripping movie "Meru" (on Netflix). Several action shots of knives being used in the context of high-altitude mountaineering. Basically pocket knives.

Chouinard summarized this well when he noted that "speed is safety" and "if you carry a bivy sack, you will end up needing it".

There are robust online communities around the hiking of the US's major north/south long distance trails: the AT, PCT and CDT. Many of those forums list and discuss the gear lists to smallest of details. Knives are generally incredibly minimalistic.

We recently watched the gripping movie "Meru" (on Netflix). Several action shots of knives being used in the context of high-altitude mountaineering. Basically pocket knives.
There is a lot of truth in that. I would say, however, that a decent single use, bright orange, emergency bivvy bag is a very sensible thing to have in a pack. Weighs next to nothing and takes up little room. If someone is at risk of going into shock up there, it can be a genuine life saver. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For backpacking/.hiking that doesn't involve technical rock climbing, I have been well served with Camel-back packs for short one to three day trips. Longer trips I use a Mil-Surp large rucksack.

Dozier fixed blade and Spyderco Military folder take care of the knife needs. I hike below tree line, so fire wood and shelter material are abundant.

Beef jerky, 3/4 lb per day. Larabars and Clif bars provide quick energy. Sun dried apricots are a great addition to any pack,

Raisins (I prefer white) and Craisins are packed with energy and light weight. Gum drops are delicious and packed with calories.
I always carry 2 or 3 MilSurp MRE rations for a quick, hot meal even in a cold camp.
Plenty of springs and creeks in the mountains, so I carry halazone or iodine tablets for purifying water.

I always carry a road flare. If you need a very quick, very hot fire made from WET wood, a road flare will do it. Of course, two "space" blankets and 50 feet of paracord.

My short term pack runs ~18 lbs. My long term (one week or more) runs 40-45 lbs.

I always carry two knives, but it amazes me how little I actually use them.

...Dozier fixed blade and Spyderco Military folder take care of the knife needs. I hike below tree line, so fire wood and shelter material are abundant.

Beef jerky, 3/4 lb per day. Larabars and Clif bars provide quick energy. Sun dried apricots are a great addition to any pack,

Raisins (I prefer white) and Craisins are packed with energy and light weight. Gum drops are delicious and packed with calories.

The knife need thing is minimal overall and a SAK or Mora can generally handle it all if being practical about it. Which Dozier? ...Wilderness knife earlier. I have one, but it is too chunky for me overall to carry in the woods and it is rather heavy.

(Edit: Sorry Ben, I didn't realize this was a second post that fluffed out your gear before I responded.)

I need to pickup a real space blanket and a light weight tarp. Just stuff on the list....

I do the store bought trail food mix quite a lot and it really satisfies any energy or hunger issues. Wish I could do beef jerky, but I can't (allergy). Good idea on the gum drops.

Last edited:
For backpacking/.hiking that doesn't involve technical rock climbing, I have been well served with Camel-back packs for short one to three day trips. Longer trips I use a Mil-Surp large rucksack.

Dozier fixed blade and Spyderco Military folder take care of the knife needs. I hike below tree line, so fire wood and shelter material are abundant.

I always carry 2 or 3 MilSurp MRE rations for a quick, hot meal even in a cold camp.
Plenty of springs and creeks in the mountains, so I carry halazone or iodine tablets for purifying water.

I always carry a road flare. If you need a very quick, very hot fire made from WET wood, a road flare will do it. Of course, two "space" blankets and 50 feet of paracord.

My short term pack runs ~18 lbs. My long term (one week or more) runs 40-45 lbs.

Folks always do a double take when they see my Mg flares in my trunk. Youngsters think they're sticks of dynamite! Old timers are glad to see a familiar safety device.

I can't remember whether I replied to this thread (speaking of old timers!), but lately I've been considering joining an old pal on his through hike of the AT for a section or two next year. True, I can get by with my skeletonized SAK SD Classic (no scales, no toothpicks or tweezers, no keyring, and amputated nail file) or even just a razor blade; but I was considering giving in to my addiction and carrying my newish Mora 510. That thing is lighter than I remembered.

Anyway, now on my walks in populated trails, I carry an SAK OHO Trekker or SOG Paratool. I consider that I won't need much in the way of a bushcraft tool in those areas. Farther afield, I'll always have some sort of sheath knife.

All this applies to walking, of course. Mounted, it's another story. Equestrian needs are different.

Walking buddy in Italy last Fall:

jbfVVKB.jpg

Used this on a walk & shoot last Spring:

0VpPba8.jpg

What makes me feel comfy in the backcountry:

D7wWYES.jpg

But I'm going to be carrying this more as Spring rolls around as I just like it:

QMw2Yeb.jpg

Zieg

Last edited:
There is a lot of truth in that. I would say, however, that a decent single use, bright orange, emergency bivvy bag is a very sensible thing to have in a pack. Weighs next to nothing and takes up little room. If someone is at risk of going into shock up there, it can be a genuine life saver. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I agree completely, which is why I carry one in my "brick", an organizer that is always in my bag when in the woods.

I think the deeper issue though that Chouinard's quote gets to is that equipment is a two-edged sword. Not having the right equipment or carrying too much equipment can both be bad. And let's not fool ourselves... we mostly go to the woods for a form of fun and the risk of dying can't be removed from that. Equipment choice thus falls into a many factored decision that involves fitness, level of training/skill, knowledge, terrain, forecast, the level of ambition of the goal, a person's risk appetite and so on.

I'm going to look into a bivy sack. This might be a good thing to keep in my pickup as well as carry on hikes as an emergency shelter or to keep a little warmer should you have to spend an unplanned night in the outdoors. Pinnah, have you been out this winter yet? Big snow headed your way.

Back